SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
JMerr0928
JMerr0928 is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 Vue 4 cylinder automatic transmission fluid change?

Hello all,

As the title says I have a 2005 Vue 4 cylinder automatic transmissions with 160k miles and have never done a transmission flush. Is this something I should do? Any suggestions/tips/advice?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JMerr0928's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JMerr0928 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JMerr0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2005 Vue 4 cylinder automatic transmission fluid change?

Was recommended at 100k. It will cost you about 100.00 in fluid and filter. Don't know if I would trust doing it at that interval if never been done. I am soon going to do mine since it will soon hit 100k. Takes 7 quarts of dexron VI and filters seems to run at or about 30.00 and fluid is about 7.00 a quart. I guess you could pull the fill check plug and see condition of fluid and go from there.

2006 Vue
2.2L
Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMerr0928 View Post
Hello all,

As the title says I have a 2005 Vue 4 cylinder automatic transmissions with 160k miles and have never done a transmission flush. Is this something I should do? Any suggestions/tips/advice?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Many folks frown on "flushing" transmissions - I would do flush only if the shop provides an extended protection period against it ruining the transmission.

Replacing transmission oil is a different matter.

Odds are you have the Hydra-Matic transmission. You could check the service parts sticker on drivers side - rear door for code MN5 - to confirm.

If you have MN5 - owners manual recommends fluid change at 100,000 mile intervals unless Vue is used under severe service conditions where interval is 50,000 miles.

Severe service is when the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:

− In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90F (32C) or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− When doing frequent trailer towing.
− Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery service.

According to FSM you must drop the transmission oil pan to change fluid and there's also a transmission filter which should be changed when pan is off.

The FSM says to use Dexron III fluid (now replaced by Dexron IV) and refilling after dropping the pan takes 6.9 quarts according to FSM.

Repost if you think of other questions or would like extracts to drop pan, replace fluid and filter, etc.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Many folks frown on "flushing" transmissions - I would do flush only if the shop provides an extended protection period against it ruining the transmission.
Its interesting that despite the fact that GM does not recommend a transmission flush (at least for the V6's 5 speed autos, not sure about the OP's tranny specifically) some dealerships still take advantage of this revenue enhancer.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Be very careful when reinstalling the pan. The bolts take a very small amount of torque and its very easy to strip of threads of the transmission (which can be repaired with a coil). I recommend not using a wrench to reinstall the pan but rather use a screw driver with the proper socket. Its harder to over torque a with a screw driver. Of course using an inch/lb torque wrench is the best option if you have access to on.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

This is straight from my manual on 06. The 05 manual only show cvt which is hopefully wrong.

Won't let me copy it but on 6-14 states only use Dexron VI. for auto and Dexron III for manual for the 2.2L.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...erm=dexron+iii

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...ils+Controller

Last edited by tiger862; 08-23-2012 at 03:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger862 View Post
Won't let me copy it but on 6-14 states only use Dexron VI. for auto and Dexron III for manual for the 2.2L.
tiger862 and JMerr0928 ... I made a mistake by saying IV replaced III. I intended to say VI (6).

I don't think I've seen any DEXRON's 4 or 5.

I've attached GM bulletin "officially" replacing DEXRON III with VI - except for manual transmissions (as previously mention by tiger).

Here is the manual trans blurb from the bulletin:

"Any vehicle that previously required DEXRON-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use P/N 88861800."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DEXRON-VI.pdf (27.8 KB, 29 views)

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
JMerr0928
JMerr0928 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the quick responses! I am going to order the parts and fluid and do this next weekend. Also thank you RobertGary1 about the tightening tip! I would have tightened them all way to tight, busted them and pushed the car into a lake in frustration!

far2grumpy - You mentioned to re-post for additional information about the job. Any sort of tips or suggestions right from the start?

I am your typical weekend car guy that has done a lot of work successfully but never changed transmission fluid/filter.

Thanks again all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JMerr0928's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JMerr0928 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JMerr0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMerr0928 View Post
far2grumpy - You mentioned to re-post for additional information about the job. Any sort of tips or suggestions right from the start?
Many of the fluid checking - replacing extracts exceed forum post limits.

I'll email if you send an address by PM or email.

Left click on my screen name and choose preferred path (I can't send attachments using this method ).

Last edited by far2grumpy; 08-24-2012 at 09:39 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!