SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
zeissheadreggie
zeissheadreggie is on a distinguished road

Location: East point, GA(3 clicks outside of the atlanta city limits)

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Timing belt, how long before it breaks?

My independent mechanic said pay $650.00 soon, or pay a lot more later! That got my attention! I'm about 8k over 200k, and was wondering, how long before it breaks? My brothers' Honda suffered bent valves and god only knows what when he didn't change the one in his car. I don't want that experience, but I'm between paychecks/photo assignments.(that also includes a water pump, coolant flush, pulley kit etc.,)

live fast, die young, and leave clean underwear!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zeissheadreggie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zeissheadreggie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zeissheadreggie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Timing belt, how long before it breaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeissheadreggie View Post
My independent mechanic said pay $650.00 soon, or pay a lot more later! That got my attention! I'm about 8k over 200k, and was wondering, how long before it breaks? My brothers' Honda suffered bent valves and god only knows what when he didn't change the one in his car. I don't want that experience, but I'm between paychecks/photo assignments.(that also includes a water pump, coolant flush, pulley kit etc.,)
I just had two Vue's 3.5 done - one with 98,000 and the other at 102,000. The mechanic kept the old stuff for me to look at and it looked new. His comment was they all look new until they break.

You can't tell how long a belt will last - they'll supposedly expire sooner if you tow a lot, do a lot of stop and go, too hot (95+), too cold (-20), etc.

The book says 100,000 unless you do the things previously mentioned. My last job was designing stuff for aircraft and our goal was to make everything last twice as long as we said it would.

I imagine vehicle OEM's think along the same lines - until the bean-counters start cutting corners on parts.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

To paraphrase a funny comedian...

The belt will last all the way to the site of the break down. Which is good, you'll probably beat the tow truck there by an hour.

All jokes aside, it's not the sort of thing you want to tempt fate with. The other downside is being at the 2nd one, you don't know what was used or when the first time. It's possible that it was done early (mine was done at like 95k for example), and done with possibly a belt not up to OEM standards. Unfortunately, they don't give any sort of warning before they break either, they just sort of break, and if they do you've trashed your engine.

That said, $650 is CHEAP for that job. Like, hugely cheap. Most people were quote in the 2.5-3x that cost range for the same job. I'd just go ahead and do it ASAP, while driving as little as possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Judging by the mileage, you'd think it was changed once before- but was it?

When I had my Mazda Protege and frequented those boards, belts would last over twice the recommended interval. But when those belts broke, it just left you stranded- no damage to the motor. I doubt the 3.5L is the same way.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Judging by the mileage, you'd think it was changed once before- but was it?

When I had my Mazda Protege and frequented those boards, belts would last over twice the recommended interval. But when those belts broke, it just left you stranded- no damage to the motor. I doubt the 3.5L is the same way.
You are correct sir (in Ed McMahon's voice).....the 3.5 is an interference engine.
Dating myself with references like that, get off my lawn......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
zeissheadreggie

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My last belt was changed at the Saturn dealership, at 101,000 miles. The advice that I'm receiving on this timing belt is being taken to heart! I've scheduled it for Saturday Morning as the mechanic said he'd need the vehicle most of the day. Thanks Guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zeissheadreggie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

I'd say it largely depends on the conditions mentioned by far2grumpy.

Someone was asking for buying advice awhile back, on one with around 200k original miles. Original owner said nothing but oil changes were done - no timing belt etc.

Another member changed his at 160(ish)k. The replacement broke 110k later.

My '05 is at 124k, but I plan to get it done within the next month or so. My '04 is at 184k, and I have no clue if it was ever changed. I'll be looking to have it done (again?) relatively soon as well.

Another member here was quoted by a Honda dealer as saying they won't necessarily break, but will stretch some, effecting the timing.

I guess the moral of the story is, get it done when you can, and have the piece of mind that you should be set for another 100k.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Honda (who makes the 3.5L engines) is telling people to start planning for the best change around 110,000 miles. I've never heard of one breaking. The typical scenario is that they stretch and emissions suffer. The belts of today are made very differently than the old belts of the 70's that did break. In theory one could stretch to such an extent that it binds on something but you'd hear it before then. However, shops do enjoy scaring people with the unlikely "belt breaks " scenario.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
That said, $650 is CHEAP for that job. Like, hugely cheap. Most people were quote in the 2.5-3x that cost range for the same job. I'd just go ahead and do it ASAP, while driving as little as possible.
Its possible that quote only included the work that the service manual dictates. That does not include changing the water pump, idler bearing, tensioner, etc. Those are all customarily done by reputable shops (although later models used a hydraulic tensioner that does not necessarily need frequent replacement). Personally, I think it unlikely that you'd get an extra 100K of service from the water pump and will likely end up having to do it again soon.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
zeissheadreggie

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I didn't know that my emissions could suffer, because of a timing belt. What started this was a code for a large evac leak. Had it repaired, and decided that I'm keeping this vehicle until the wheels fall off it! So very high on the priority list is the aforementioned timing belt, front end work, possibly upgraded brakes, maybe some new tires, and a major detailing so that I can keep the paint looking good. I can't thank everybody on this forum enough for the information that has made owning this vehicle a pleasure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Just to add my .02:

You seem to be getting a great deal. I had an "unnamed friend" do ours in his driveway. He works for "the company who produced the 3.5L engine" and does t-belts every week. Though I got ours done for a couple hundred less, a dealership woulda charged near 1,000 for that same work.

also felt the need to chime in on the evap leak. What did you do to "fix" it? We've had a recurring one and have had the gas cap replaced (under extended warranty) two or three times. We even paid for a smoke test and they confirmed it was a bad gas cap... So I wonder what the root cause of yours was?

The gas cap thing is a known issue with these cars and the warranty goes out to over 100k miles.

It's nice to see that these vues can go 200k!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
also felt the need to chime in on the evap leak. What did you do to "fix" it? We've had a recurring one and have had the gas cap replaced (under extended warranty) two or three times. We even paid for a smoke test and they confirmed it was a bad gas cap... So I wonder what the root cause of yours was?
I have extract of the 04-05 Vue gas-cap service bulletin (including details of 10 year / 120,000 warranty). Too large to attach but I'll email if you PM an address.

It appears at least two of root-causes for leaks is a steel fuel filler tube and customers applying downward pressure when putting cap on.

Here's an extract from SB:

Some vehicles may intermittently set a DTC of P0442 or P0455, leak in the evaporative emissions system.

In addition to checking the system and performing the diagnostics as described in the Service Information for this DTC, the technician should be aware that some of the fuel caps used on GM vehicles may not seal adequately to the filler neck if pushed down when being tightened.

This may occur more often when this cap is used on a vehicle with a steel fuel filler neck. The owner should be instructed not to apply a downward force to the fuel cap when tightening.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Hi grumpy. Thanks for the info. In my case, A new gas cap fixed the issue (and this last one has been on for over a year). I will be talking to my wife about how she screws it on it after refueling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
docderek05
docderek05 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

650.00 is a bargain, if the Mech is to include the waterpump and the pulley tensioner?, seals, etc. take a hard look at the area he has to work in, yikes, the labor alone to get at the thing is a bear.

I know 650.00 with a stressed budget is strong money. but unfortunately there is no real alternative, and if it breaks, more bad, and much more money.

Best, hope it works out, Derek.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to docderek05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help docderek05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
docderek05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac will become famous soon enoughVUEmaniac will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

$650 is a pretty good deal. Heck, I'd pay someone else to do it for that if the price included name-brand parts and the water pump. It takes a couple of hours. You should also have the valves adjusted at the same time and consider changing the plugs. All that is due approximately every 100k miles.

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.

-Winston Churchill-

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote