SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
02 Dawg
02 Dawg is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
1999 SL2
Default Fuel Filter Change

I was wondering how hard it is to change my 02 Vue fuel filter with a 3.0 AWD?
I was thinking of trying to this during my lunch break at work.
What tools do I need and could this work be done in a half hour?
Thanks,
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 Dawg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 Dawg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Fuel Filter Change

If its anything like the 2006 its going to take you some time. Its inside the fuel tank and not designed to be changed under normal maintenance.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

For whatever reason, '02 Vues w/awd have their fuel filters on the outside of the tank on the left side and replaceable. Whether it can be done in half an hour without prior experience is debatable. No special tools needed, depressurizing the system via depressing the fuel test valve on the fuel rail, carefully disconnecting the fuel snap-on connections and providing a catch pan for fuel drips, oiling the male ends prior to snapping on connections covers most of the procedures.

Its a mystery to me why the change was made to forego external fuel filtering and ease of replacement to semi-permanently in the tank placement.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I think its just a continuation of the effort to reduce the need for routine maintenance. Labor in the US is becoming too expensive to have a lot of regular maintenance items. We used to change plugs, wires, cap, rotor, adjust points, etc every 10,000 miles. Now cars have 100,000 mile plugs, no plug wires, no cap, no rotor and no points. The EPA is pushing for 50,000 mile oil change intervals and some high end German cars are already near that. I really don't see this as a bad thing. Honestly, in all the years of having all sorts of different very high mileage cars I don't ever remember changing a fuel filter because it was actually plugged up aside from some punks tossing some crap in the tank.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote