SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Key stuck at ACC, replaced BTSI (Pics & Videos)

Problem:

Key stuck at ACC (for auto transmission only), able to pop key out following user manual remove key procedure.

Diagnose:

1. When key is stuck, push the shifter button multiple times and hear the clicks around the ignition lock cylinder. Key will turn out after clicks. DO NOT SLAM YOUR SHIFTER!

2. When engine is on, shift to park, and press shifter button. Good BTSI will produce one click at each press with no delay. Bad BTSI will produce inconsistent clicks (sometimes no click, sometimes multiple, sometimes delayed).

What is BTSI:

[Ref] http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/r...problem-11176/

“Brake Transaxle Shift Interlock. This is what keeps you from shifting out of park unless your foot is on the brake and also what prevents you from removing the key from the ignition unless the transmission is in park (to prevent you from locking the steering wheel while you're moving).”

Part: ACDelco 15793413 BTSI solenoid
Part Source:
Amazon.com (ships in 1-2 months, but actually received in less than 20 days)
Rockauto.com (Google for 5% off coupon)
Dealer ($79.43+TAX)
GMPartsGiant (Read their terms and conditions, buy at your own risk)

Where is it and what does it look like:

How BTSI works

(my video, sorry not very clear):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr0LNMwDHXw

Replacing Procedure:

1. Remove Console (See attached instructions in replies), watch out for the yellow module (maybe related to airbag)
2. Disconnect battery, let car sit for at least 30 minutes to disable airbag system
3. Detach solenoid, shifter bulb, shifter button switch and wire connector. Put new solenoid in according to old positions.

4. Recover Console

Other thoughts:

It is not actually the solenoid that’s bad, but the little switch is worn out. The new one is firm and makes very clear clicks, but the old one is sluggish. I wonder if it is possible to obtain a new switch and rebuild the old solenoid, saving a lot of money...

Console removal instructions followed. Any kind of comment is welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (61.0 KB, 847 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (33.0 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (51.3 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (41.5 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (47.1 KB, 771 views)
File Type: jpg 06.jpg (55.0 KB, 771 views)
File Type: jpg 07.jpg (30.6 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg 08.jpg (33.6 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg 09.jpg (81.2 KB, 761 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (80.5 KB, 769 views)

02 Saturn SC2, noisy, trying to quiet it down...

Last edited by AndreasChen; 08-09-2012 at 05:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndreasChen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndreasChen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
Default Re: Key stuck at ACC, replaced BTSI (Pics & Videos)

Console R&R, BTSI solenoid R&R instructions attached, multiple PDF files, due to 150K attachment limit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Console 01-02.pdf (140.0 KB, 392 views)
File Type: pdf Console 03-04.pdf (100.0 KB, 253 views)
File Type: pdf Console 05-06.pdf (137.3 KB, 209 views)
File Type: pdf Console 07-08.pdf (128.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: pdf Console 09-10.pdf (124.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: pdf Console 11.pdf (64.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: pdf BTSI.pdf (56.9 KB, 235 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

The switches are Cherry DC Series Sealed Sub-Miniature Snap-Action Switches. http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/sw.../sealed/dc.htm
Operation cycle is only 6000~10000. GM is absolutely using the wrong switch!!!

However I do not know where to buy these switches...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
scotchligo
scotchligo is on a distinguished road

First of all, thanks a bunch for typing this all up and providing all the information. I had the same issue that you were having (key stuck, no clicks/multiple clicks).
I replaced the btsi, and the problem is fixed! A weird note: the car is now able to shift out of park when it is off/doesn't have a key in it. I'm getting strong single clicks when I press the shifter, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Either way, it's not a big deal. Thanks again for doing the writeup.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotchligo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotchligo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotchligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchligo View Post
First of all, thanks a bunch for typing this all up and providing all the information. I had the same issue that you were having (key stuck, no clicks/multiple clicks).
I replaced the btsi, and the problem is fixed! A weird note: the car is now able to shift out of park when it is off/doesn't have a key in it. I'm getting strong single clicks when I press the shifter, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Oops... I never tested this before or after replacent. I assume that when the brake is pressed, the solenoid releases the locking lever (see video) and you should be able to shift.

I agree this is not a big deal, but you do want to make sure you CANNOT shift out of park when you are not applying right-foot-brake. This is the real deal here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Dach
Dach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the rough

Just wanted to thank the OP for posting these instructions. These saved me a lot of frustration and time. I will add one caveat...make sure you place the wires back into the clips securely. I left a little slack in the upper wire and it blocked the arm from locking completely and the car could be shifted into neutral without the key inserted. Just be sure to check full operation before you button everything back up. (I got my part on Amazon for 45 bux and it was perfect.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Yes all wires must be routed exactly the way it was, especially around the switch and around the solenoid. Otherwise they get caught.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchligo View Post

Not sure if you are still following this thread, but I tested my gf's Ion today, and it won't shift in OFF or ACC position. You probably want to check if your solenoid end is properly engaged into the locking lever, i.e. the following picture:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
hithisishal
hithisishal is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

I think this switch should be good:

(I can't post URLs, but it's mouser part number is 540-DC1C-A1LB. Digikey did not have it in stock. This is for the SPDT model - could not find the simple NO model anywhere.)

I can follow up when I replace it if anyone is interested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hithisishal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hithisishal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hithisishal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #10
bugeater
bugeater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hithisishal View Post
Thanks for all the help, everyone!

I think this switch should be good:

(I can't post URLs, but it's mouser part number is 540-DC1C-A1LB. Digikey did not have it in stock. This is for the SPDT model - could not find the simple NO model anywhere.)

I can follow up when I replace it if anyone is interested.
Please do. I just placed an order for the switch on the Mouser website. Hopefully, it's an easy fix. This issue has been driving me nuts ever since I bought the car a year ago and I've resorted to leaving early for work/appointments just in case, as there's no predicting when the key will get stuck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bugeater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bugeater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bugeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
Please do. I just placed an order for the switch on the Mouser website. Hopefully, it's an easy fix. This issue has been driving me nuts ever since I bought the car a year ago and I've resorted to leaving early for work/appointments just in case, as there's no predicting when the key will get stuck.
You could order the entire set of new BTSI to do the repair, if this problem bothers you so much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
bugeater
bugeater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasChen View Post
You could order the entire set of new BTSI to do the repair, if this problem bothers you so much.
As you mentioned before, the switch is the part that is actually bad, so I figure why not just replace it for a fraction of the cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bugeater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bugeater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bugeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
As you mentioned before, the switch is the part that is actually bad, so I figure why not just replace it for a fraction of the cost.
I am not entirely sure if the switch is replaceable. Buying a single switch plus the shipping is not necessarily cheap, plus the risk it may not work as intended, plus the waiting time and trouble...

I just list the risk factors, you decide

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #14
Mike89
Mike89 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

This is a great thread. Thanks so much for making this info available to those who are still driving Saturns. My wife's 2004 Saturn Ion is having the intermittent key getting stuck in ACC. She says she waits from a few seconds to a minute or so until she hears a double click in the steering column area and then she can remove the key.

I had already replaced the Ignition Switch a couple of years ago when this car had the cold weather fail to start wait 10 minute thing going on. That cleared that right up. Then this started happening and I just recently replaced the Ignition Lock Cylinder thinking that was the problem. I thought I was good to go and then a week or so later she said it happened again and so the issue has not been resolved.

So now I see the solution that is finally going to take care of it. I'm going to buy the part from Amazon and get to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #15
Mike89

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Looks like taking off the console is going to be harder than actually changing out the part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mike89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
Looks like taking off the console is going to be harder than actually changing out the part.
Takes a while, but not hard. Just follow the pdf I posted, and proceed carefully... Some plastic parts are easily broken and expensive to replace, so be careful...

Otherwise, nothing hard.

Also, it's a good chance to clean the console to make it factory clean

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Mike89

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I have a couple of questions about installing the BTSI assembly. That first picture with the arrows on it showing all the parts placements. I see the solenoid screws in. The rest of them, how are they fastened in place? Do they snap in? Are there any adjustments that need to be made anywhere? Would it be feasible to install the new one as taking off the old one, say starting at the solenoid and working around from there replacing as taking each section off?

Just trying to get myself orientated so I don't have any surprises that I don't know what to do with. Also, don't be surprised if I ask more questions before I'm done with this. I've ordered the part from Amazon already so waiting for it. I'm going to be taking a deep breath before I start this one.

Last edited by Mike89; 04-04-2013 at 12:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
I have a couple of questions about installing the BTSI assembly. That first picture with the arrows on it showing all the parts placements. I see the solenoid screws in. The rest of them, how are they fastened in place? Do they snap in? Are there any adjustments that need to be made anywhere?

Just trying to get myself orientated so I don't have any surprises that I don't know what to do with.
Switch snaps in with a bracket, bulb holds by the socket, connector goes with a pin. Once you opened it up, it's quite obvious so don't worry about that.

Just give yourself a free day so that you could do the console slowly and carefully. The BTSI assembly itself is a piece of cake

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
Mike89

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Would it be feasible to install the new one as taking off the old one, say starting at the solenoid and working around from there replacing as taking each section off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
Would it be feasible to install the new one as taking off the old one, say starting at the solenoid and working around from there replacing as taking each section off?
I didn't do that but I don't see any problem. However, a high def picture of how wires are routed would be extremely helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!