SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
gusmandave
gusmandave is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Crazy car starting problem, please advise!!!

Soo, i just bought a used 2002, 5-speed Saturn L200 from a mechanic/dealer, who got it at an auction.
He told me it had a problem with the theft deterrent system, but that it shouldnt be too difficult to fix. The quick version is this: Sometime it starts, and sometimes it dont.
The theft deterrent system quickly cuts off the fuel supply and the engine dies, so it is actually running for 1 second before dying. One time, and one time only, i managed to get it started after 10 or so attempts, it suddenly DIDNT kill the engine, and i was able to drive home normally. But usually, if it cuts out, i just let it sit for some hours, and when i go back it seems to work fine most of the time.
I took it to a GM dealer shop, and the only thing they could find wrong with it was a BCM code, something about not communicating properly with the instrument cluster. They started it and stopped the car like 15 times, and of course, when they wanted it to die so they could see what was wrong, the car refused to die,and ran fine the whole time it was in the shop.

So i am stumped. I have had so many different opinions i dont know what to do. I have heard i need a new key, cause mine is just a generic key. I have heard i should the the 30 minutes relearn process. I have heard i need a new ignition housing, or one of those parts in there. I have heard everyones opinion, but dont have the money to pursue them all.
So what should i do? What is the problem? Please help anybody. thanks so much. dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gusmandave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gusmandave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gusmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: Crazy car starting problem, please advise!!!

Just to be clear, are you having trouble with the standard GM Passlock system or an aftermarket security system? These cars are intolerant of the aftermarket systems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
gusmandave
gusmandave is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Crazy car starting problem, please advise!!!

As far as i can tell, and a buddy of mine looking at it, it is not a replacement, but is the original GM system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gusmandave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gusmandave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gusmandave is offline   Reply With Quote