SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Saturn_Wagon1
Saturn_Wagon1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default Car won't start, starter clicking...

I decided to start a new thread.

So, the mechanic has been through everything!! Ignition, starter relay, jumped the battery cables to see if they were working, connections, you name it. New starter in the car, still clicking. Old starter fine and put back in the car, still clicking. OMG! I am about to have a mental break down here. I can't take it any longer! What is going ON?? Any ideas, anyone??

Is this still some kind of security system override? He put a wire straight from the battery to the starter, with a push button to start and that didn't work.

Is there something in the ignition itself that would keep it from starting?

Any ideas .. would be appreciated. At the end of my short rope...thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn_Wagon1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn_Wagon1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn_Wagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: Car won't start, starter clicking...

Does the car have RKE?

Are you sure it's the starter you hear clicking, and not the relay?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
DavesSaturn
DavesSaturn is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Assuming that your battery is at full charge and that your connections are clean (look especially at the ground to the chassis), don't assume that your starter is good. If you bought a rebuilt from a local parts store, it might be bad.

Over the past year I have gotten three alternators (for a Corvette) and two wiper motors (for a Saturn) from Advance. Rebuilt units. All were bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DavesSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DavesSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DavesSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Saturn_Wagon1

1998 SW2

Thank you.

Yes, the starters, both were bad. The guy at the auto parts store thought maybe they had been shorted out. This gives me a reason to worry about the wiring, but I don't know enough about how a starter could get shorted out.

Another point....

My key doesn't go in the ignition very well. I have to really try hard to get it in there, what is that part? Is that the ignition switch? I'm having a hard time finding the part on the parts website. I think the tumblers are worn out, so do I need to buy this from a junk yard or do most auto parts stores carry whatever this part name is? (ignition?)

Along the lines of the ignition, the mechanic said he checked the ignition switch and when he jumped it, the wire got really hot. He thinks there is a fuse broken somewhere for the ignition to be pulling so much power. (or a relay) Any ideas? He already checked the starter relay and it was good.

Well, if any of this sounds familiar, would love to hear insight. Sorry to be so general.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn_Wagon1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Does your car have the annoying door chime when you pull the key out?

The ignition is always a problem with our cars. You could try getting the key cut off the VIN. The cheapest place in Denver is Phil Long off Wads.

Shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Saturn_Wagon1

1998 SW2

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for the information! Good to know where to go for a new key!

I don't recall hearing the door chime more than the normal. I'll have to listen the next time I'm in the car.

Is the door chime a signifier of something?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Yes... the door chime staying going with the key out is a sign that you ignition switch is on its way out! It will melt the black ground wire and blow the 30a ignition fuse under the hood!

shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote