SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Niz
Niz is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default 1998 Saturn SL1 IAT Sensor

I recently checked my code at O'Reilly's and it came back with a P0113. Something to do with the IAT sensor. I went to check it out under the hood, and i found this thing sticking out of a tube under the air filter. I don't know for sure if it is the IAT sensor but i'm assuming it is. The this is, this sensor isn't connected to anything. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this but i'm assuming a sensor should be connected to some wires and the computer right? I have attached some pictures. Should i replace the IAT sensor? And where are the wires for this sensor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-23 20.24.47.jpg (214.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-23 20.24.56.jpg (110.8 KB, 70 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Niz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: 1998 Saturn SL1 IAT Sensor

Welcome to the group!

Yes that's the IAT and it looks like the connector is on it. The wires are in that smaller split flex right under it in the second picture. They should be brown and black.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Niz

1998 SL1

DO you think i should replace the sensor since it came up with the P0113 code?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
Welcome to the group!

Yes that's the IAT and it looks like the connector is on it. The wires are in that smaller split flex right under it in the second picture. They should be brown and black.
I don't see the wires.

1999 SL2 MANUAL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Niz

1998 SL1

Yeah, i went to check it out again. I couldn't find any wires connecting to it. I took a close up shot of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-24 13.10.27.jpg (214.6 KB, 62 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation
Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

That explains the IATS code. Need a new connector/pigtail. Actual new one is a bit over $30 last I knew, new-to-you is whatever you pay for in a junkyard or pay someone on here to send you one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Niz

1998 SL1

Where am I supposed to connect the wire from the new sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation
Old 07-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Niz

1998 SL1

I checked with O'Reilly's and they said they had a sensor for $12.99 but it was just the sensor itself. I asked him if they sold the wiring too and he told me to contact the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1P1439 $27.79 plus s/h
rockauto.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

You don't need a new IAT sensor - they hardly ever go bad. Look at the thin plastic corrugated tube - it's a "protector" for a bunch of wires. I circled it in your picturel Look for a couple of loose wires in this loom - when you get your new connector, you will solder and shrinkwrap the two wires to the loose wires in the loom. You will probably want to remove the air filter box for this.

This video is for an identical sensor, the ECTS - but you will be pulling the old connector off the sensor, soldering the new connector, then plugging it onto your IATP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-23%2020_24_56.jpg (114.8 KB, 43 views)

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Niz

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
You don't need a new IAT sensor - they hardly ever go bad. Look at the thin plastic corrugated tube - it's a "protector" for a bunch of wires. I circled it in your picturel Look for a couple of loose wires in this loom - when you get your new connector, you will solder and shrinkwrap the two wires to the loose wires in the loom. You will probably want to remove the air filter box for this.

I went to look for the wires you were talking about and i found the wires. They still have the connector things on it and i also found a white adapter type thing. The were barely together and when i picked the wire up, the white thing fell off. I tried putting it back together but i don't know how it's supposed to go back together. I took some pictures again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-24 16.23.00.jpg (157.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-24 16.23.32.jpg (210.4 KB, 44 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
off-track
Master Member

1997 SL2

Yeah, to sum it up, it's broken. I suspected from your first post but it was raining and too dark out for me to take a picture. Part of the connector is still attached to the harness and the other (black part) is on the sensor itself. You squeeze the flanges on the black section to release the lock and remove it.

As aloc said.. you can get a new connector like fetchit posted, grab one from the nearest junkyard for ~$5 or, PM lowsaturn as he had a box full of them that he was selling for ~$15 plus shipping.

The attached is how it should look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IAT.jpg (151.1 KB, 43 views)

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Niz

1998 SL1

I actually took the black plastic tip off the sensor and put in the wires through it, clipped the white thing on it and clipped the black thing back on the sensor. I have no idea if it worked or not but it looks like the picture you attached. I'll have to get the code checked again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation
Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
off-track
Master Member

1997 SL2

It's possible that will work as it looks like the connector clips are still intact in the white piece? I'd bet that it will probably fall off again though? If re-connecting it clears the code (it may take a few ignition cycles) I would suggest a dab of super glue on that center tab to hold it all together. Clean both sides thoroughly first though!

I don't recall ever seeing this pop up before??

Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
Niz

1998 SL1

Yeah we'll have to see. The check engine light is still on. I'll check tomorrow to see if anything happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
off-track
Master Member

1997 SL2

Just checked.. other than resetting the MIL via PCM-B removal or a clear command from a scan tool, it will take "four successive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic will run flawlessly" to clear the DTC.

BTW Niz, add your car's specific (yr/model) to your profile and at least an approximate location. It helps to easily provide relevant information for certain problems/issues that will be included automatically in every post.

Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

^ ^ ^ +1, PCM-B fuse is probably quickest/easiest. It's in the UHJB, or under hood junction box, which is right by the airbox. There is a large, knob/screw thingie for removing the cover, and on the inside of the cover is a diagram for the fuses and relays. The PCM-B is at one of the corners (you should have a white plastic fuse puller inside there - makes it very easy)

When I saw the cap had fallen off, this was the first fix I thought of:

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
Niz

1998 SL1

So should I pull the fuse and put it back in? Sorry, I don't really know this stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation
Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
fetchitfido

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Pull the fuse out, leave it out 5-10 seconds, put back in. Unlucky people may find they need to keep it out a "massive" 30 seconds for it to properly clear the codes.

You could unplug the battery as well, but that will also remove all customized radio settings, usually including the clock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #20
Niz

1998 SL1

I actually just reset the code with the code reader. The CIL came back on on the drive home. I'm thinking about going to the junk yard to pull one out from another Saturn and solder the wires like you guys said. If that doesn't work, I might just have to buy those wires from rockauto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niz's Reputation