SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
mjspurs23
mjspurs23 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Muffler Strap

2000 Saturn SL1 SOHC, 130K miles, original muffler (to my knowledge). My muffler strap fell off recently, and I need to install a new one. Anyone have a how-to on replacing it? Much thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjspurs23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjspurs23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjspurs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
trottida
Advanced Member
trottida will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
Default Re: Muffler Strap

Not much to it as far as I understand it. There is a slot in the body forward of the tank that the "T" end of the strap fits into which creates a hinge and a bolt at the other end of the strap that bolts into a threaded hole. There is also a plate the bridges between both straps which is held on with tabs that feed through the straps. Twist the tabs to straighten them and push them through to remove the plate from the strap.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (360,000 km @ 06/2014)
2005 Suburban Z71 (239,500 km @ 06/2014)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
mjspurs23

2000 SL1

Ok. It appears that the muffler strap for the original muffler is rather hard to come by, and I've heard of makeshift muffler straps that work for the time being (plumber's strap being one of them). Would that work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mjspurs23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
trottida
Advanced Member
trottida will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1

My apologies, for some reason I read "gas tank strap" rather then "muffler strap". Please disregard my previous response.

Plumber strap would work in a pinch but something that is stainless steel will last longer if you're in an area exposed to road salt.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (360,000 km @ 06/2014)
2005 Suburban Z71 (239,500 km @ 06/2014)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
mjspurs23

2000 SL1

Not to worry.

Other than the strap, what tools/parts are needed to complete the job?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
papoopeepoo
papoopeepoo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

I just did a muffler strap replacement today, it was easy and straightforward. I didn't need to jack the car up, I just applied the parking brake. I used an OE part from GM dealership. The strap sold on rockauto and other parts stores are for aftermarket mufflers and will NOT fit the OE muffler. I bought a 13mm nut to accompany the strap since the it didn't come with one, and the guy at the NAPA store gave me a bolt, lock washer, and nut of some SAE size like 7/16 to hold the hanger to the strap. Any bolt will do as long as its thing enough to fit the opening and long enough to thread easily in a tight area.

The old strap was so corroded it just snapped when I tried to remove the nut. I never actually got the nut loose, even with PB Blaster, so I'm glad I got the new one.

Also, the hanger is a separate part, it's only $5 at the dealer, so make sure to pick one up if you need it.

Tools needed include :

-13mm deep wall socket -- to remove the tightening nut (only the nut moves, not the bolt head) if you are lucky enough to have a nut that hasn't ceased on you.

-Hands (wear gloves)

Also, you might find it easier to remove the left rear wheel while doing the job to free up space.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to papoopeepoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help papoopeepoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
papoopeepoo is offline   Reply With Quote