SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
bbax13
bbax13 is on a distinguished road

Default 99 SL1 has power but won't start

I drove about a half mile to the gas station got out and when i returned to leave my dash lit up all the lights but would not even try to turn over. I replaced the battery a month ago so i don't think it's anything there. My question is this the starter, ignition switch, solenoid, a sensor in the gear box or something else?? I'm going based on some things I have read on the web but can't really get a solid idea of what it may be. I will say that i may have turned the car off while it was in reverse but i'm not entirely sure. I got the car back to my house and tried turning it on once a day for the next couple days, on the fifth day it has started back up but i'm afraid to take it anywhere for fear it may happen again. Any help is appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbax13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbax13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bbax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 99 SL1 has power but won't start

Most likely the starter is worn out if its the original one. A last ditch effort if battery, cables, and connections are on good working order would be to bang the starter body a few times with a piece of 2x4 lumber or steel rebar - a successful start means the starter needs to be replaced. Even if the starter didn't come to life after a little beating, replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
theshackle
theshackle is on a distinguished road

Does the car still have power after you turn the key? If it does then it might be the starter. I had a similar issue with a Crown Victoria used to have and it did turn out to be the starter. Before you replace anything, check all the little things first like the fuses and wiring, make sure the leads and grounds going to and from the starter motor are damaged or corroded. If that all looks good the next step might be the starter. You can usually find one cheap at a salvage yard but there is no guarantee that it will be in any better shape than the one you're taking off, so you might be better off buying a new or rebuilt starter motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to theshackle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help theshackle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
theshackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
bbax13
bbax13 is on a distinguished road

Yep it still has power after turning the key. My first instinct was the starter just wanted some more advice from others before i startd in on taking things apart. I'll be sure to check the wiring and stuff as well. It was just odd to me that it started back up several days later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbax13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbax13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bbax13 is offline   Reply With Quote