SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
netracer13
netracer13 will become famous soon enoughnetracer13 will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2
1995 SW2
Default Engine: no power, surging. hauls ***** above 4K RPM

96 SL2 5 speed. rebuilt in November and have around 7000 miles on motor. new plugs, o2 sensor (installed in a 92 factory header), new ects, 190 degree thermostat

new parts: over past 3 months
plug wires
egr(made a block off plate before changing and problem seems to get better but not 100%. i have had problem with egr's on this car before so i just bought a new one to eliminate one pain in the rear)
Fuel Pressure Regulator (on fuel rail, was leaking)
97 SC2 computer (engine does same effect with both original computer and this one)

fuel pressure is right around 37psi at idle (i think, was within the range listed in the book I have). coil packs and module cleaned.

car will have no power and will surge (as if it had a miss) until the engine RPM reaches 3500 to 4000. then its like a nos button was pushed and all the power the engine should have at low rpm comes back. this problem didn't start all at once. it came on slow over 2 or 3 weeks.

I have changed the above parts and performed all the troubleshooting task that I can find on the forums for this problem and still have not been able to figure out what is going on. getting a little frustrated at this point. anyone out there can point me in a direction? I'm open to almost anything.

for a recap of what i did to the car for the rebuild click HERE.

'96 SL2 My First Saturn 429,000+ miles.
'95 SW2 Wife's Car
06' Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to netracer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help netracer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
netracer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
netracer13
netracer13 will become famous soon enoughnetracer13 will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2
1995 SW2
Default Re: Engine: no power, surging. hauls ***** above 4K RPM

Things I have tried sense opening this thread.

my dad has a 96 SL2 that runs good. I have been swapping items from his car to mine in an attempt to find a fix for this problem.
swapped throttle body (easer to swap sensors: tps, iac)
knock sensor
crank position sensor
coil packs
map sensor
had the old O2 sensor that came with the 92' header

Currently trying to eliminate the ethanol fuel from my tank to rule that out (thanks epa)

The only other things that I have not looked into are the cat possibly being clogged (running the one that came on the car, may have 340K miles on it) or something to do with the injectors. I have put my egr block off plate back on and it seems to help but Iím still feeling the hesitation duing light throttle and surging at cruising speeds. With the block off plate it will still run good at full throttle but doesnít seem to have as much power than without the block off plate and thats kinda pointing me twards a clogged cat.

Thoughts?
Anyone?

'95 SW2 Wife's Car
06' Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help netracer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
BV22
BV22 will become famous soon enoughBV22 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1

I would think a clogged cat would have the opposite symptom - car would run ok at low load and crap out at higher rpm's. But, you can always remove the front O2 sensor and go for a loud drive to see if the extra exhaust exit point makes the car run better.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
238k 07/14

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
netracer13

1996 SL2
1995 SW2

Well after after running with the O2 sensor out (couldn't tell if it was better) and swapping out the injectors from the junk yard (no change). I finally took the down pipe off the header and it ran great. so I replaced the cat and all problems have gone away. runs better than ever. the cat that was on it had over 350,000 miles on it so it was defiantly time to change it.

just posted this so that if someone else has this problem they may be able to fix the problem faster and cheaper than I did. the thing that threw me off on the troubleshooting was the way the car ran under full throttle.

'95 SW2 Wife's Car
06' Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!