Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default ACDelco 15841209 Ignition Cylinder

This cylinder is for my 02 SC2.
The kit contains a cylinder, a retainer plate, 10 springs, 4 bags of tumblers with 5 tumblers for each depth.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kit1.jpg (104.8 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Kit2.jpg (118.4 KB, 411 views)
02 Saturn SC2, noisy, trying to quiet it down...
AndreasChen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
Default Re: ACDelco 15841209 Ignition Cylinder

I will continue to post some documents and pictures.
Almost all information about key/cylinder coding is due to OldNuc
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Documents from GM manual are attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KeyCode.zip (17.4 KB, 268 views)
File Type: zip Cylinder_Ignition.zip (71.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: zip Cylinder_Door.zip (118.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: zip Cylinder_GloveBox.zip (66.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: zip Cylinder_Trunk.zip (97.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

In short words: the S-Car key is uniquely defined by a 10 digit cut code. A GM dealer may read that code to you, or you can even decode from an official key. With that code you can match all cylinders by yourself, while dealers charge $30+ to match each cylinder.

Please refer to attachments for details, and please feel free to post questions if you are interested.

Final reminder: Keep the key cut code safe, only to yourself!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Got it all back together again?
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Got it all back together again?
Not quite
I am still fighting with the coolant flush and radiator, but is very slow b/c the weather and sunshine is quite overwhelming
Now I feel sorry b/c when rebuilding AC I did not replace the radiator
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The heat has been nasty....
Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Twinspoppa
Twinspoppa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasChen View Post
In short words: the S-Car key is uniquely defined by a 10 digit cut code. A GM dealer may read that code to you, or you can even decode from an official key. With that code you can match all cylinders by yourself, while dealers charge $30+ to match each cylinder.

Please refer to attachments for details, and please feel free to post questions if you are interested.

Final reminder: Keep the key cut code safe, only to yourself!!!
How can I get the 10 digit cut code if I have my original key?

Local dealer wants $81 for the kit and $75 to code the existing key.

I located part #15841209 for $42 and want to set the tumblers myself. I assume that's the 10 digit cut code that I need.

Also, is it required to have special tools to set the tumblers and springs. From reading the documentation you provided it doesn't seem so. Seems like it makes it easier but I can get by with regular tools.

Appreciate any help and thanks for the uploads.
Twinspoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You read it of your existing key. There are only 4 different cut depths. It is a double sided key and only one side moves the tumbler wafers. Cut #1 just barely scratches the surface.

I don't have time right now to look it all up for you now. I will later tonight

The important part of the process is to actually clean the entire assembly of all oil, graphite and other gunk. Relube with a slight dusting of powdered mica. Your cylinder may be fine if cleaned out though.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Twinspoppa

Quote:
You read it of your existing key. There are only 4 different cut depths. It is a double sided key and only one side moves the tumbler wafers. Cut #1 just barely scratches the surface.

I don't have time right now to look it all up for you now. I will later tonight

The important part of the process is to actually clean the entire assembly of all oil, graphite and other gunk. Relube with a slight dusting of powdered mica. Your cylinder may be fine if cleaned out though.
I see. Just find the correct depths (1-4) by looking at the key. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure I understood. I thought maybe there's an actual code on the key or something else.

Thanks for the reply and appreciate any other info. you can provide.

Right now, I can't turn the key so I can't start the vehicle.

First thing I'm going to do is replace the break-away steering lock bolts with regular M6x1x25mm from Home Depot. The steering column with the turn/wiper switch assemblies turns left and right a little bit. I assume this might contribute to my problems so I want to eliminate this variable.

Second, is I'm going to try some graphite lube, tap on the key with a hammer, and wiggle the steering wheel to see if that will allow me to start the vehicle and/or get it in ACC position in order to replace the lock cylinder.

Hopefully, I can get by with the old key for a while. I assume a new key from a dealer is going to cost approx. $80 or more - which I'd rather not have to do.

Am I able to get a new key cut for me other than from a dealer? If so, is that 10 digit key code what they'll need?
2001 SC2
Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you flush out your lock with about 1 can of CRC QD-Electronic Connector cleaner it may start working. Graphite is a poor lube for locks as it will soon grind to goo.

A good automotive locksmith can read your key and then punch out a new one with a key punch. You do have to ask or all you get is a ground out one. The 10 wafer lock tends to bind up very easily at the hint of any foreign material.

I have to scan the info you are asking for.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The wafers are all numbered from the factory. Pull the wafers from the old cylinder and read the numbers on them as you pull them. Install the new wafers into the new cylinder according to the numbers from the old one.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Don't let dealer do the coding. Ask them if they will read the code to you for free. Reasonable dealers will do that for you in less busier hours.

If they don't read for free, pay $8 to cut an official key from them, and they should read the code to you (they read the code when cutting anyway).

You could also read the code from your key or cylinder, but you need to make sure they are coded correctly. My car was bought used, and the key was wrong, and cylinder was incorrectly coded to match the wrong key

you don't want to keep the wrong thing going on b/c if you lost the wrong key the dealer key will not work...
Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Gen-3 have 10 wafers so start with #1. This is for the late Gen-2 keys and everything else is the same.

All advise above is also good and required knowledge as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 98+9-cut-keycode-a.jpeg (121.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Twinspoppa

Thank you very much for all the replies!

Here's what happened today.

I tried the graphite lube, tapping, wiggling the wheel, etc with the old key - no go. I called the dealer and asked how much for a new key and they said $8.75 only. So, went and got a new key and they gave me the key-code too.

I tried it and no go again.

Considered drilling out the ignition cylinder but read that the cylinder may just come out if I loosen/remove the ignition housing. I looked at the locking bolts and thought there was just not enough room (steering wheel still in place).

I go to remove the airbag to get the steering wheel off and of course there's a problem. I can't rotate the steering wheel since its locked. So, I couldn't get to the back of the steering wheel to detach the 4 clips that hold the airbag.

Frustration! Aargh! So, I'll find my Z-flathead tool (90 degree) and try that tomorrow. Hopefully there's enough room and its long enough to reach into the 4 triangle holes.

Anyone have any other suggestion on how to access the 4 holes?

Also, is the 15841209 only 7 tumblers? I thought I read they went from 10 to 7 tumlers only with that new part number. I guess I should just follow the old tumblers however many there are (if I don't have to drill the cylinder out).

Last thing. Is there a proper way to drill out the cylinder? This will be my last resort. Do I just drill in the middle of it to a certain depth? Is there something I should watch out to make sure I don't damage while drilling? I assume I will just keep drilling the hole bigger until the cylinder can pull out?

Thanks again!
2001 SC2

Last edited by Twinspoppa; 09-19-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Depending on the year there are 7, 9, or 10. You should have 10.

You probably will end up destroying everything by attempting to drill. Did you flush out the cylinder or just pump it full of graphite?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
Twinspoppa

Quote:
Depending on the year there are 7, 9, or 10. You should have 10.

You probably will end up destroying everything by attempting to drill. Did you flush out the cylinder or just pump it full of graphite?
I only squirted some graphite - no flushing.

If I can't get the lock cylinder to turn, do I have any other options other than drilling?

I'm determined to get the steering wheel off first. Then loosen/remove the locking bolts that need replacing. Hopefully, this will help in getting it to turn.

I will try to go back to Home Depot and get some kind of lubricant to flush it like you suggested.
2001 SC2
Old 09-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Flush it out with CRC QD Electronic Connector cleaner from your parts store. Put a big towel on the floor and spray enough into the key slot to get all the graphite and crud out of the lock and housing. Once the housing is removed you can get the exact year from a junk yard and change the cylinder in the JY part. The passlock module is year and vehicle specific and you can not cross years but you can swap modules in a given year. You could try swapping your existing module into a new housing.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #19
Twinspoppa

Quote:
Flush it out with CRC QD Electronic Connector cleaner from your parts store. Put a big towel on the floor and spray enough into the key slot to get all the graphite and crud out of the lock and housing. Once the housing is removed you can get the exact year from a junk yard and change the cylinder in the JY part. The passlock module is year and vehicle specific and you can not cross years but you can swap modules in a given year. You could try swapping your existing module into a new housing.
I'll get that CRC QD from Pep Boys and try that.
2001 SC2
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
Uthinkso
Uthinkso is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Thank you for the schematic OldNuc. Looking at the key it has a pretty well defined center line to measure from. I picked up the Standard US525L off Ebay before I read this thread and learned of the GM part. I am going to take some measurements of the key and give it a go.
Uthinkso is offline   Reply With Quote