SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Trunk Leak / Inner Quarter Sealing Question

Hi all,
This question is a continuation of this accident:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158106

After taking off all the plastics, I found there are deeper damages to the inner quarter panel. As shows in the picture:

This is something I cannot correct by myself, so I sent to a body shop. The shape was corrected, but it started to leak. I took the bumper cover off again, and found the black sealing is damaged. I assume it was damaged when the body shop was reshaping the inner quarter panel, because there was no leak between the accident and the repair.

Now it leaks into the trunk even when I spray a little bit of water onto that seal

My questions are : what is the formal name of that black seal? Is it manageable with moderate amount (say <$200) of tools/supplies to repair that at home?

Thanks a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic1.jpg (156.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Pic2.jpg (94.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Pic3.jpg (78.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Pic4.jpg (99.8 KB, 33 views)

02 Saturn SC2
05 Saturn ION
Then I missed the chance of enjoying a brand new Saturn, forever...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndreasChen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndreasChen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Trunk Leak / Inner Quarter Sealing Question

Temporally solved the problem by reinforcing the seal with a lot of black silicon. So far so good but not sure how long it will last

02 Saturn SC2
05 Saturn ION

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Seam sealant. It's purpose is to ensure a leak free car. It should be able to be applied with a caulking gun, but out may need to be a powered caulking gun like we use on aircraft.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Seam sealant. It's purpose is to ensure a leak free car. It should be able to be applied with a caulking gun, but out may need to be a powered caulking gun like we use on aircraft.
Any comment on the black silicone repair?

Silicone seems to work, but the question is if it's going to last. If not, I'd better start doing homework on the seam sealant

Thanks!

02 Saturn SC2
05 Saturn ION

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

it's not the same quality product. the seam sealant is usually a 2 part product, the kind I've used uses a 2 tube gun using pneumatic pressure to drive the sealant out, or has the second part in the tube, but you need to inject/mix it and use a powered single tube gun to get it out. sealant isn't what I would call "cheap" or "easy" to work with because of the 2 part system and the viscosity of it.

the seam sealant will actually retain the integrity of the seam, where the silicone will only fill the hole, one doesn't in any way equal the other. unfortunately, I don't have any just laying around, or I would send some to you, but at least try to find the single tube you need to mix, it's going to be the most possible for you to work with at home. also, try to find as many things to do with it before you mix it, it hardens quickly, and is quite expensive. expensive enough we always went around the whole hangar making sure NOBODY else needed any, and coordinated the time it was mixed if they did. also, buy the smallest quantity you can.

once you decide what your options are, let me know, there are some things you can sometimes do to get around needing a special gun.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
it's not the same quality product. the seam sealant is usually a 2 part product, the kind I've used uses a 2 tube gun using pneumatic pressure to drive the sealant out, or has the second part in the tube, but you need to inject/mix it and use a powered single tube gun to get it out. sealant isn't what I would call "cheap" or "easy" to work with because of the 2 part system and the viscosity of it.

the seam sealant will actually retain the integrity of the seam, where the silicone will only fill the hole, one doesn't in any way equal the other. unfortunately, I don't have any just laying around, or I would send some to you, but at least try to find the single tube you need to mix, it's going to be the most possible for you to work with at home. also, try to find as many things to do with it before you mix it, it hardens quickly, and is quite expensive. expensive enough we always went around the whole hangar making sure NOBODY else needed any, and coordinated the time it was mixed if they did. also, buy the smallest quantity you can.

once you decide what your options are, let me know, there are some things you can sometimes do to get around needing a special gun.
I did notice the factory sealant was mechanically much stronger, so I only used silicone on top of factory seal to fix holes (instead of removing any old sealant). The silicone repair is still relying on the old structure.

It looks like the seam sealant is not as straight forward as I thought, and I am kind of short in time to do more homework on it. Let me put this thing aside for a few month and keep this thread in my bookmark folder. I will come back a little later to this issue

Thank you very much 2006 ion2, it is very helpful

02 Saturn SC2
05 Saturn ION

REWARD EXCELLENCE!