SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
jasonbmerrill
jasonbmerrill is on a distinguished road

Default 1999 Saturn SW2 wagon (manual)... starter problem? Need to make a decision quick

....already made one potentially bad decision... bought a starter on the advice of an auto parts store.

let me explain.

the past few days it has seemed that starting the car felt like the battery was low - the starter seemed to laboriously start the car.

I ignored it, thinking i kept leaving something on. I made sure to have everything off, but on friday, I could not start the car at all. Thankfully, I was on a hill, and was able to pop start the car.

I would stop every so often and pop start it again, to see if the car had charged enough (as I thought the battery was the problem). It did not. I had to pop start it 2 other times.

Each time, the accessories came on without fail. It was only the engine that did not start.

I went to an auto parts store and they "tested" the battery. It showed that it was above spec, Holding a charge quite well.

Stupidly, I turned the car off at the auto parts store (absent minded), and it would not start again. It made one single click. This convinced the employee that it was not the alternator (as the accessories were working, and the car ran fine), it was not the battery (as the car wouldn't start at all or hold a charge), and had to be either the starter or the solenoid (which is attached to the starter, of course).

he sold me a starter at 116 dollars, and I had my car towed to my place of residence. Since it was the weekend, I could not go to a shop, and need my car... tomorrow. (sunday)

I had a gig that night (im a musician) and got a ride from a fellow bandmate.

today, I attempt to fix the car.

I put the car in neutral to push the car into a better position and for the heck of it I turn the key.

it started fine. Turned it off.

I finally found the starter and realized one of the bolts was a real tough reach, needed an extension. I was able to drive the car to the auto parts store, and then to walmart, where i parked on a hill and shut the car off, just in case.

no need to pop start later, worked fine.

So now I am puzzled. Again, I am no mechanic, but is it possible, if the starter has 12 teeth or something on it, could it be that I just hit a bad tooth? Or even worse, but even rarer, did I hit a bad tooth on the flywheel?

anyway, I am wondering if the starter was really the problem, and I'm afraid to install this one if it isnt the problem. They might, after all, take it back for a refund.

Any help or questions to get help I would truly appreciate.

thank you so much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasonbmerrill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasonbmerrill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jasonbmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: 1999 Saturn SW2 wagon (manual)... starter problem? Need to make a decision quick

I think it is actually the copper brushes inside the starter that get worn. I had an identical situation in a Honda I used to have. Sometimes would start perfectly, other times, nothing.

When it would not start, I could rock the car and taht moved the starter enough that it would then start. Others suggest tapping the starter lightly with a piece of wood. Next time it fails to start, try tapping it and see if that makes it start - if so, replace the starter.

$116 seems high to me, but I have not priced starters lately. Last one I purchased, I got used about 3 or 4 years ago; think it was $25 at the junkyard.

You can use a mirror to help locate that top bolt - getting that back in is a real bear. If you go to YouTube and look for videos by richpin06a, there is a video showing that (plus a bunch more)

One of the wiser members here, Low Saturn, suggests replacing that top bolt with a stud when you have the starter out. One from the manifold (pick one up at the junkyard) will work. It's easier to locate the hole in the starter onto the stud and then tighten the nut on it.

Unfortunately, i did not find out about this tip until after I had already replaced my starter

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: 1999 Saturn SW2 wagon (manual)... starter problem? Need to make a decision quick

I paid $119 for a rebuilt Valeo from Bond Auto. Probably would have been less then half that price if I had had time to bring it to the local rebuilder, but Bond had it in stock. Dunno what the core charge was, I brought in one with me so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

While a dead/dying starter is annoying, look on the bright side...you could have bought an autotragic and wouldn't have the pop-start option

Someone needs to make the stud size of the exhaust manifold bolts common knowledge...replacing the starter bolts with studs & a nut makes the stupid freaking annoying 30min job take ~15min.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

More than a very good chance that it is the starter that is bad. However I would not ignore the chance that the battery cables are correded under the plastic end covers and between the cables and the battery.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
dbsanfte
dbsanfte is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

It's very possible to have the battery cables give only a barely-adequate connection to the battery at the terminals. That produces situations where there's enough amps for the accessories (20-30a) but not enough for the starter (200a).

Simple solution is to clean the terminals and make sure they're seated properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbsanfte's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbsanfte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbsanfte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
jasonbmerrill

Happy Re: 1999 Saturn SW2 wagon (manual)... starter problem? Need to make a decision quick

ok, great thoughts here. Going to see how long the refundable period is and test it out a bit.. maybe the battery cables weren't on quite good enough, or had corrosion.

will be parking on hills from now on, however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jasonbmerrill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
drunk horse
drunk horse is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SW2

I'm no expert, but I had the exact same problem and I was able to figure out it was the starter by bashing on it with a pipe a few times when I couldn't get it to start. I could do it from the top of the engine, being careful not to hit any wires. It would always start right up after that, must have had a dead spot, which is not uncommon cause it's happened to me with two different starters.

1999 SC2 DOHC manual 194,000mi
1995 SW2 DOHC automatic 122,000mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drunk horse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drunk horse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
drunk horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

It is the starter. I just replaced the starter on my 1994 Sedan on Thursday. My sedan is a manual, and periodically over the past two weeks there was hesitation when I went to start the car up but it would always start... until Thursday when it just clicked and there was nothing. I put a new starter in and it fixed the problem.

The price on mine after tax and the core was a total of $123.49. The starter itself was $95.99 and was a Vision -DE.

The starter is the issue here, you will want to check the battery cables, and the fusible link (the cable that runs from the starter to the alternator) as well for any issues.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
jasonbmerrill

now that i think of it, the guy tested my battery WHILE the car wouldnt start and it was rating above spec....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
jasonbmerrill

ok, got that done,

now, I fear I may have messed something up.

I will make a new thread:

saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1895906#post1895906

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
jasonbmerrill

the problem WAS the starter. thanks guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!