SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
Scyan
Scyan is on a distinguished road

Question Clogged Cat, how to test it !?

Hey guys, 1994 SL2.. I have a question, how do I test if my Converter is clogged. It's rattling like hell but I cannot remove the bolts myself and I'm kinda strapped for money right now. But power is down a lot. I read somewhere that removing the oxygen sensor for test purposes could help me diagnose it ? Is that true, would it work ? Any other idea ? I'll have to ask someone to cut the bolts behind the cat as they are wayyy too rusty for me to remove.

Thanks in advance !

Scy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scyan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scyan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2003, 10:23 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Unfortunately there really isn't any "easy" way to test a catalythic convertor. An exhaust gas analyser can show if it's working, a back pressure test determine if it's clogged..neither of which can be performed by the typically equiped home mechanic (sorry) Removing it and having a look for loose catalyist material and then seeing if acceleration DRAMATICALLY improves with it off are the only real "home methods" that can be used. You can "kinda" check for a "generally restricted" exhaust using a vacuum gauge. A low steady reading at idle that drops and then SLOWLY rises when the throttle is blipped generally indicates a restricted exhaust.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2003, 11:52 PM   #3
SLM crew chief
SLM crew chief is on a distinguished road

A little OT here, but I was thinking of gutting out the cat on my '94 when I get it back. I don't think it has any choice but to be somwhat clogged with all the oil that was being burnt. It doesn't look too hard the seperate from the rear pipe but I don't really remember. I haven't been under the car in a while. It seems to me that it has a flange with three bolts to the rear pipe if memory serves. What is in the front where it connects to the front pipe? Bolts, clamps, etc.?

Anyone here do one of these? I'd like to give the appearance of having it on by just gutting it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLM crew chief's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLM crew chief reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:10 AM   #4
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Clogged Cat, how to test it !?

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyan
I read somewhere that removing the oxygen sensor for test purposes could help me diagnose it ?
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed...it.com/cat.htm

Last edited by DualCamCoupe; 04-07-2003 at 01:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:20 AM   #5
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SLM crew chief
A little OT here, but I was thinking of gutting out the cat on my '94 when I get it back.
For anyone reading this and considering doing the same, I would recomend against it. An individual can be fined up to $2,500 for removing or diabling a catalytic converter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:41 AM   #6
SLM crew chief
SLM crew chief is on a distinguished road

Yea, I know. I removed the one on my Cavalier. Actually, both of them. I Just ran a straight pipe in its place and no one (exhaust shops, the dealer, etc.) gave me any trouble. I did the research and decided it was a risk I was willing to take and I am willing again.

wbarnum, I do agree that anyone considering doing this needs to asses the situation before you make the decision. If I lived in an area with emmission testing or the like, I would be forced to replace it, I'm sure. Hell, the car was burning a quart of oil in 500 or less miles so I know it wouldn't have passed pre rebuild and I'd damn near bet that there is soooo much residue in it, its STILL gonna smoke!

Oh, yea, what holds that tin can in there?

Last edited by SLM crew chief; 04-07-2003 at 01:47 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLM crew chief's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLM crew chief reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 02:30 PM   #7
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Chances are if you hear rattling when accelerating or revving the engine, and it's down on power, it needs replaced. Mine had the same problem. Not a big deal. Meineke replaced it for a reasonably good price, and they only took a few hours.

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 05:40 PM   #8
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

I had to replace my stock header casting because it rattled so bad.It was chipping away at itself and coming down the exhaust little by little.I was'nt tough,but the nuts can seize on real good if you're in the rust belt like I am {NY}.
I felt no loss in power,but was'nt going to wait for the thing to totally break up and clog the whole mess.
$271+$25 for gaskets and nuts later,and it's all brand spankin' new.John at SPS hooked me up and saved me a ton over what the dealer wanted+tax.
BTW,I have Cali emissions.They are very strict here and the emissions test requires your car be cast upon a dyno to cook it up real good.I've watched this test done and wonder what happens if the car jumps off!:o:
Here's a scan of my old CA precat header....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:37 PM   #9
Madson26
Madson26 is on a distinguished road

I HAD to hollow out my cat last spring. Power was so down my 94 Sl2 would hardly move. Now that the rest of the system is going, Im going to replace it all. Probably will go without a cat this time around.
I just cut the pipe right behind the cat dropped it down and shook the crap inside out. Ran like a champ after i clamped it back up. pretty easy and a hell of a lot cheaper than a OEM cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madson26's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madson26 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread