SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
rcw3586
rcw3586 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1994 SL
Default Shift Cables - which goes where?

This seems like a pretty stupid question from someone that's removed the engine and tranny from my Saturns 3 times.
I got my auto to manual conversion almost finished but the shift lever does not move correctly. It was easy in the donor car to shift. But now that it's all in the patient the lever is stiff and has very little side-side freedom. (car is not running yet and no fluid in transmission)
I think I got the cables on the correct transmission levers but I can't find any info to confirm that.
Can someone guide me here? Point to a photo? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rcw3586's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rcw3586 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rcw3586 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: Shift Cables - which goes where?

Don't feel like removing the center console to see whats what with the lever->firewall but the driver side cable coming out of the firewall->transmission goes on top, the passenger side goes on the bottom.

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

Great -Thanks! I appreciate your time to look.
I've got photos of the console end - don't think they can be reversed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rcw3586 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

Well, it appears that I've got it right - white cable terminal on top. Now I have to figure out what's wrong. I don't want to start it up or fill the transmission until I get this straightened out.
I used the bicycle inner tube fix to replace the boot on the lower cable.
Any thoughts on trouble shooting this are welcome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

There is a drawing in my gallery that shows the notches on the side of one cable and where they go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

There are a few pictures here that might help:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160664

shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

Well, it seems that everything is together correctly. I tried removing the upper cable on the transmission. That's the one restricting motion. It only moves a litte bit by hand. The shifer works swimmingly with that disconnected.
I have another transmission sitting in the garage from my 94 and it behaves the same way when you try to move the levers by hand.
Perhaps the input shaft just needs to be turning to get things working correctly. I went ahead and filled it with fluid - no leaks anyway. Tororrow I'll try to get the engine connected and running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcw3586 View Post
Tororrow I'll try to get the engine connected and running.
Well, that was wishful thinking.
I've got the car all back together and running. I can drive it anywhere so long as I do it in REVERSE!
When it was up on stands with the wheels off I could get it into some forward gears but wasn't sure which ones.
With the wheels on I can not get it into 1st or 2nd gear. Therefore I can't get it in motion.
The guy at the on-line JY I bought the transmission from said it had 85K miles and was "tested". When I asked what tested meant, he said he had seen it driven around the yard.
When I put new axle seals in I did not see any evidence of broken metal pieces inside.
Of course they offered a 30 day return on the transmission but that was 6 months ago.
What tests can I do on this tranny before I start all over again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The right hand cable moves back and forth with the stick to select the gears and the left hand cable moves back and forth to select the gear pairs, 1-2 or 3-4, or 5-R.

On the transmission the pair select cable goes on the lever that rotates, the lower connect point. Is this how you have it connected?

Do you have the housing clips in the groove and tabs pointing left?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Make it like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GbBDRjVs7I

Right hand cable selects a single gear, this is the top lever on transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

I have it connected as described in the above posts.
The cable with the white end is on the top lever of the transmission.
When I removed the top cable from the transmission the shift lever would then move left-right freely. The top lever, it was connected to on the transmission, would barely move. Not as in stuck, but its motion was restricted by something internal.

The clips are installed with the tab facing left. They seemed to seat okay when I put it together from below. visibility from the top is fairly restricted, so I did not inspect that they were actually in the groove.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
code1bob
code1bob will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1

I don't know if this is possible but can you install a shift tower with the fingers on the tower and the selectors on the trans not aligned? If it shifts freely when disconnected from the trans I would remove the tower to take a look at the selectors.

1997 SL1
5 speed manual
346,000 mi.+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to code1bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help code1bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
code1bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

The problem, it seems, is in the transmission - not the shift lever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

No, the in-car tower just pushes and pulls the cables.

Take the selector tower off the top of the transmission and verify that the 3 forks are centered and lined up. These things will select 2 gears when shipped if dropped. Then shift each one both forward and back with the selector tower off. Clean up the selector tower and verify it is neither bent or full of crud and functions smoothly. Reinstall and see if it selects all gears smoothly at the transmission now. The neutral position for the left right motion lever should be 3-4 pair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

Oh, okay - I'd never heard the term shift tower before. Now I understand.
I'll get to his tomorrow night. Sometimes I let work get in the way of my hobby.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

heh...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

I lifted the hood and determined that I'm going to have to take a lot of stuff out to get to that shift tower so I decided to try a test drive instead.
Here's some new info:
I actually can get it into 2nd gear if I force the gearshift hard enough to the left and pull back hard. But I absolutely can not get it into 1st gear. I drove it around town using 2nd to start up gently. It works great in all the gears I can get it into. But, it's hard to shift and the pattern isn't what it was in the donor car. Maybe tomorrow night I'll have more ambition to take things apart and try moving the transmission levers manually.

I have a brand new hydraulic clutch system but the release point is just too close to the floor. This itself makes shifting difficult as is not fully disengaging all the time. When I was installing the master cylinder in the firewall the cap flipped up and I lost some fluid. This thing is going to be real problem to refill. You can not get to it as it's under the ABS brake system.
It's pretty clear that manual transmission cars did not come with ABS as it interferes with getting the transmission dipstick out. You have to bend it slightly to clear the ABS.
I may have to take my own advice and bleed it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The clutch system is actually non bleedable unless you want to struggle mightily to save $100 that a replacement costs. ABS has many faults and you have just discovered another one. The linkage is out of sorts somewhere and it is either a fouled up trans tower linkage or the cable clips are not installed correctly.

You determine condition of hydraulics by doing the wire test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
marmitage
marmitage will become famous soon enoughmarmitage will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2
2002 SL1

Had shift cable issues as well replaced them and the shifter is smooth as butter feels great, problem is not getting any gear. Moter revs but I don't have any motion.
Please tell me more about the selector tower, where is it and what do I do with it.
Any other ideas?

Thanks

marmitage
99 SC2 Mom's,97 SL2 Mine,
02 SC1 the boy's, 01 SC2 #1 Daughter's, 02 SL1 #2 Daughter's
02 Vue #3 Daughter's , 96 SW parts hauler, 98 SL2 project, 99 SW 2 auto to SW1 5 speed next

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marmitage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marmitage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marmitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
marmitage
marmitage will become famous soon enoughmarmitage will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2
2002 SL1

I had a break inside the guide bushing fell out and the sleeve broke. It was stuck in first so I towed it to a shop and they said Monday before they could get to it. So I looked at Shawn's how to and thought I would give a try (nice write up and pics Shawn). When I went to get it the gear shifter was no longer in first but in the neutral position, when I tried to tow it it was still in gear. Got the dolly and got it home, followed Shawn's instructions and replaced the cable with a set still attached to the shifter (inside connections intact) once in like I said feels like it is shifting but nothing engages and I don't go anywhere.
Any ideas please.

marmitage
99 SC2 Mom's,97 SL2 Mine,
02 SC1 the boy's, 01 SC2 #1 Daughter's, 02 SL1 #2 Daughter's
02 Vue #3 Daughter's , 96 SW parts hauler, 98 SL2 project, 99 SW 2 auto to SW1 5 speed next

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marmitage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marmitage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marmitage is offline   Reply With Quote