SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
locomoconomo
locomoconomo is on a distinguished road

Default Assistance Please....

Hi guys, great site, glad to be a member. Special thanks to Richpin for...helping me to be a Saturn Hero around the house.

Got a situation that I haven't been able to solve locally. Down here in Alabama, the salvage yards either don't have any Saturns on the lot, or they are complete dismantlers that strip the chassis and then crush the car upon arrival. There are 14 salvage yards within 50 miles of my home and not a one of them has been able to help me obtain the pigtail plug for the ECTS from the chassis wiring harness. The largest, Riteway Auto Salvage, who just happened to have a 2001 SL in the dismantlers area, actually told me they would "not" let someone "hack" a piece out of a perfectly good wiring harness, even after I pointed out that the part I needed was going to be crushed into the remains of the chassis. I really don't understand the logic here. I miss the salvage yards of my youth where I would take my pick-up, my tools and sometimes a torch and drive around looking for stuff I wanted. A couple of hours of dirty sweaty work would often yield some really great stuff. Many a time the guy running the office would come out and look over the parts and wave off half of them, charging me only for the engine components like alternators or distributors or heads etc... One year in Auto Shop, I bet we hauled off enough parts to build half a dozen cars. Anyway......

My problem is this; I had the hard starting problem so common to our cars and after reading up I discovered that the ECTS was the likely root of the problem. I pulled the plug and discovered green corrosion. I bought a new ECTS at Autozone, the newer style, installed it and attempted to clean the contacts on the pigtail. No luck. Hunting idle, hard start, foul smell from exhaust etc... I then began to search for a replacement pigtail and here I am. My SL has been sitting for almost 6 weeks, (it's not our primary car) and I am still no closer to finding the part I need. Which leads me to you fine folks. Is anybody out there who still lives in an area with gearhead friendly salvage yards willing to pull/sell a late model (2001-2002 SL) ECTS pigtail with as much lead as possible to a hard luck Alabamian?

BTW, I followed Richpin's suggestion concerning using the plug and wires from the LED indicator from a computer hard-drive and tore into 4 old desktop PC's I had hanging around, but none of the plugs in my machines would fit into the recess of the ECTS. Go figure.

Please PM me with details to arrange payment/delivery of said pigtail if you are willing/able to help.

Thanks again, for this wonderful site and the vast amount of tribal knowledge impounded here.

-Loco

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to locomoconomo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help locomoconomo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
locomoconomo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
martensitic
martensitic is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Re: Assistance Please....

If nothing else, I know the connector is available new on rockauto.com for something like $30, and probably a few other places. I'm not sure how much of a pigtail (if any) they come with.

1996 Saturn SL1 SOHC, A/T, 116k, NYC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to martensitic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help martensitic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
martensitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomoconomo View Post
BTW, I followed Richpin's suggestion concerning using the plug and wires from the LED indicator from a computer hard-drive and tore into 4 old desktop PC's I had hanging around, but none of the plugs in my machines would fit into the recess of the ECTS. Go figure.
Well...duh...hard drive connectors won't even pretend to fit the ECTS. The front panel LED and button connectors fit just fine; the 2 pin ones anyway, the 3 and 4 pin ones are too wide. You can take the pin out of location 3 or 4, cut the connector down from 3 or 4 to two and put the pin in location 2, that should work as well.

As for the pigtail, it stayed the same '91-'02. '91-'95's just have an extra one that can't be used in '96-'02's.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
locomoconomo
locomoconomo is on a distinguished road

Quote:

BTW, I followed Richpin's suggestion concerning using the plug and wires from the LED indicator

-Loco
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Well...duh...hard drive connectors won't even pretend to fit the ECTS. The front panel LED and button connectors fit just fine; the 2 pin ones anyway, the 3 and 4 pin ones are too wide. You can take the pin out of location 3 or 4, cut the connector down from 3 or 4 to two and put the pin in location 2, that should work as well.

As for the pigtail, it stayed the same '91-'02. '91-'95's just have an extra one that can't be used in '96-'02's.
Re-read if you please, I'm sure you didn't think I was trying to use a Serial ATA connector....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to locomoconomo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help locomoconomo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
locomoconomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Send me a PM w address.

If you don't mind a regular postal envelope, I'll drop one in the mail sometime this weekend.

(Huh, I thought richpin used the two-pin connector from an old CPU fan in the video - I wasn't really paying attention to that part of the video)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
campus189
campus189 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1997 SL2

Why not take another connector from a junk yard saturn ?
The same connector is used on the front of the air filter by the drivers side headlight.

1997 Saturn SL2 144,000 Miles
1997 Saturn SL1 254,000 Miles
1997 Saturn SL1 157,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL1 97,000 Miles

Also known as FiremanCV on YouTube

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to campus189's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help campus189 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
campus189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by campus189 View Post
from the OP
Quote:
Down here in Alabama, the salvage yards either don't have any Saturns on the lot, or they are complete dismantlers that strip the chassis and then crush the car upon arrival. There are 14 salvage yards within 50 miles of my home and not a one of them has been able to help me... they would "not" let someone "hack" a piece out of a perfectly good wiring harness, even after I pointed out that the part I needed was going to be crushed into the remains of the chassis.
I feel his pain It took me a while to find a U Pull It yard locally, and that's about 30 miles away. The one lot in town is a dismantler

I'll drop one in the mail tomorrow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by campus189 View Post
The same connector is used on the front of the air filter by the drivers side headlight.
This might be a quick fix. The air intake temp sensor has the same connector and is easy to find usually.

If that doesn't work it sounds like Alordofchaos has some, and I bet the price is good. LowSaturn also usually has some. Being that people give him Saturns for free or almost free, he might send you one postage paid and include $5 in the envelope.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

^ ^ I checked Low Saturn's signature first - it says he is out of ECTSs and EGR adapters
Dropped an ECTS in the mail today; let me know if it doesn't show up in a week or so

Price is very good - free

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
campus189
campus189 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
^ ^ I checked Low Saturn's signature first - it says he is out of ECTSs and EGR adapters
Dropped an ECTS in the mail today; let me know if it doesn't show up in a week or so

Price is very good - free
Very nice of you to that

1997 Saturn SL2 144,000 Miles
1997 Saturn SL1 254,000 Miles
1997 Saturn SL1 157,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL1 97,000 Miles

Also known as FiremanCV on YouTube

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to campus189's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help campus189 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
campus189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
elray
elray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Down here in Alabama, the salvage yards either don't have any Saturns on the lot
It's quite strange for Alabama yards not to have Saturns. Looking for another car for me to buy, I came across some Saturns easyexport.us/salvage/SATURN/for-sale
And the last time I bought a car there, they had absolutely no problems with transporting it. It seems to me that on bidoux.com you can get the details about transportation services.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
elray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Re-read if you please, I'm sure you didn't think I was trying to use a Serial ATA connector....
But...you said you took hard drive connectors. One's either a 4 pin molex or a multi-pin (11+ pins) SATA power connector, and the other's are a 7 pin SATA or 80-pin IDE. All of which are over half an inch wide...why anyone would think they'd fit in a ECTS that's only a 1/2in wide at the hex points is beyond me.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
But...you said you took hard drive connectors.
Quote:
the LED indicator from a computer hard-drive
He means the LED indicator on the outside of the case, that flashes when the HD is being accessed. It's a 2-pin connector

It's the one I always fumble with with when putting a new motherboard in a case, since it usually goes on a block with a bunch of ther tiny little connectors (speakers, power, reset, etc).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!