SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
JungleKing07
JungleKing07 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Looking for 98 SL2 Rack and pinion diagram

Does anybody have an exploded view diagram of a rack and pinion for a 98 Saturn SL2? Or maybe instructions on disassembling? I am wanting to rebuild it myself but need to get my bearings first. The backup is replacing the whole unit but I just replaced the inner tie rods(Moog) and most places that sell the whole setup want those in the core too. trying to keep costs low. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2002 SL2 - Current 166200
1998 SL2 - R.I.P. 190176 Mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JungleKing07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JungleKing07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JungleKing07 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
JungleKing07

2002 SL2
Default Re: Looking for 98 SL2 Rack and pinion diagram

Bump... I guess it is referred to more as the steering gear. Anybody have a diagram? Please?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JungleKing07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
dynonacht
dynonacht is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Hi, i just replaced my rack and pinion, it was not a hard job. If you are worrying about the core, take out the old one and bring it in when buying the new one, just makes sure u have someone hold the steering wheel straight when working on it, then tape the wheel in place when u go to the part store.

dyno

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dynonacht's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dynonacht reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dynonacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

The factory service manuals don't have exploded diagrams of the rack because Saturn never wanted them rebuilt. The racks rarely failed and in a shop setting it was easier/better to replace the rack.
Have you actually found a place that has the parts to rebuild the rack?

What kind of problem are you having that you want to rebuild?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

I was told when I went to get an alignment for the second time after replacing the tie rods that it was leaking power steering fluid from behind the tie rod boots. I did not notice this when replacing the inner tie rods, but it is apparently affecting the alignment. They tried to align it 4 times and by the time they returned from a test drive and put it back on the lift to check, it was off again. I found and already purchased a seal kit from autozone thinking that all it needs is new seals. Can't see why the gears could be bad, however, it does have over 180K miles on it. I don't drive it hard so I'm hoping seal replacement and a good cleaning will do the trick.

Sounds like this is something most have not attempted.

When it cools down a bit I'll remove it and try to replace the seals. Maybe post a few pics since this is apparently something not may people try to attempt. Right now trying to keep costs down which is why I am trying it this way. Also learning something new in the process.

If anybody has done this any input is greatly appreciated.

thank you so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Not an exact match but the rack looks interchangeable with ours...
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...ring-rack.html

I'm sure someone on Sixthsphere has a thread on rebuilding the rack, if nothing else there's a couple on de-powering it that tears into it like you want. Like this one that has no pictures
http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/sho...ual-conversion

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

If when you replaced the inner tie rods and you didn't get a lot of oil from the dust boots then you likely don't have a power steering fluid leak. Unless you managed to damage the rack seals when you did the inner tie rods. This would be hard to do.
You may want to see if there is power steering fluid in the dust boots before you go any further.

The people doing your alignment sound less than intelligent. Leaking fliud from the rack will not have an effect on the alignment. The alignment is set mechanically, IE the threads on the tie rods. I don't know of any shop that would after an aligment test drive put the car back on the alignment rack and recheck the alignment numbers unless they has not gotten the steering wheel centered.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

That's what I thought. When they (Sears) told me about the leak and that being the problem with it staying aligned, I figured it couldn't be right. However if it's a leak,which I do believe they are right, saw fluid on the driver side dust boot during the last oil change It must be fixed. I also replaced both control arms and the front stabilizer bar bushings which is the reason to have the alignment checked again. Would that cause the alignment to be off?

Since this seems to not be the issue any thoughts on what it could be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleKing07 View Post
When they (Sears) told me about the leak and that being the problem with it staying aligned, I figured it couldn't be right.
Sears! Well, I'd put about as much faith in them as Iffy-Lube.

Quote:
I also replaced both control arms and the front stabilizer bar bushings which is the reason to have the alignment checked again. Would that cause the alignment to be off?
Umm, well, yeah.

FWIW, we replaced my R&P because it blew off the lower cap. It was only $127 from OR and was really easy to R&R. At that price it doesn't seem worth even dealing with rebuilding?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

What choice did i have with alignment? it was either Sears, Midas, Firestone and a few other places I won't bother mentioning cause i would never go to them anyway.

Stupid question on my part with replaced parts throwing off alignment. I figured pulling everything apart, cleaning and rebuilding(or at least resealing) would keep costs low which is my main goal. last resort is just replacing with a whole new remaned unit.

what could be keeping it from staying aligned? if it was centered 4 times and the moment it was driven, checked again, and off, what could be causing that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Trashed inner lower control arm bushing, or sway bar to control arm end pulling out, or sway bar to control arm bushing worn out, or sway bar to frame bushings worn out.

You test for worn out steering rack by attempting to move the actual rack up and down in the tube. If it moves it is done for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You test for worn out steering rack by attempting to move the actual rack up and down in the tube. If it moves it is done for.
Thanks, when I get a chance I'll check this out. But after a few of the posts I may just return the seals a replace the whole thing. If its already going to be out might as well put a new one in.

Any suggestions on companies to purchase from? Autozone has one from duralast but I try not to buy house brands when I can help it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

You want to find one from a reputable rebuilder who will give you the correct ratio for your car and power steering system(EVO or no EVO). Advance Has Fenco which is a Canadian company. http://www.partcat.com/fenco/index.php?refresh=1 Same basic price and comes with tie rods. There are several different turn ratio gears and you want the correct one. Duralast is made by ??

I would be tempted to go snag one from a low mileage junker at the pick and pull.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

How do you tell if it's evo or no evo, and the gear ratio?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

EVO is on the pump and has the electrical connector. These EVO racks have a different turns lock to lock than the non EVO gear. All 3 racks have different lock to lock.

Basicaly there are 3 rack possibilities.
1)manual steering, no power assist
2)power steering, no EVO
3)power steering, EVO

The turns lock to lock is different for each of these. So, the FENCO catalog makes the distinction between manual and power assist but no distinction for W or W/O the EVO. The parts book does make this distinction.

Early cars had a solenoid mounted on the pinion housing of the rack as well.

Manual for the SL
constant flow (non EVO) SL-1 and SC-1
Variable flow (EVO) SL-2 and SC-2

Can not lay hands on it now but I thought the turns lock-to-lock was 3 for constant flow and 2 1/2 for variable flow.

I am not seeing any different numbers for EVO and non EVO equipped rebuilt racks yet parts book shows 2 different power assisted racks RPO code NV7 (variable effort) and N40 (non variable effort). The EVO is the variable effort system. There is also N51 for manual.

There are some difference depending on the year as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

Thanks for the info.

I am guessing there would be some sort of code on the side of the rack somewhere that I can use to find out which one I have?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

For 98 there are only 3, manual, full flow, variable flow. If the label on the tire cover has a NV7 then you have the variable flow EVO unit. The DOHC default is EVO, all models and the SOHC default is full flow, non EVO. So as long as the supplier is not totally brain damaged the DOHC and SOHC parts should be different, the OEM have different part numbers. Do not see this as a recognized issue by the rebuilders though. Either should fit and function but if there is a ratio difference that will change handling feel. That is why the pick and pull would be my choice.

This one is low cost...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATURN-S-SER...-/160597782021

There are used ones on eBay that state what car they were removed from as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

Last few times I have gone to a salvage yard there have not been any 98s. they have a ton of 97 and earlier, as well as 99 to 01s. I always strike out here. one of the reasons I am also still looking for foglight brackets cause the one for the drive side I pulled from a 99 sl2 does not come even close to lining up with the hole in the bumper.

Your info Has educated me a lot on the steering system. Thank you. I'll be looking into it.

For now, random thought turned into a hunch while on my short drive home from work and is most likely the cause for the misalignment I am having. I parked my car with the wheel as straight as I could, and upon very close inspection of the straightness of the tires concluded that the passenger wheel is so very slightly angled to the right possibly making it drift right. this possibly means when I installed the inner and outer tie rods in February(the whole reason for the alignment in the first place), I miscounted the turns of the outer tie rod onto the threads of the inner tie rod which is keeping the wheels from being straight. stupid me. I was already frustrated with doing it cause the tool I rented was "modified" to Fit another style inner tierod by the previous renter. one hour job turned into six because I could not get the inner tie rods off to replace and had to wait to get a ride to the store to get a replacement tool. steps were probably skipped and I immediately went to get the alignment after that(trying to beat the snow we got that day). then thought nothing of it after it was done. lesson learned now. should have backed off and came back to it later.

easy fix, can jack the car up tomorrow after work and fix it. probably only needs one turn or so to fix this. however the leaking from the rack must still be addressed. will look at it as well tomorrow while it is jacked up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you are not seeing the PS fluid go away then you do not have a serious leak. There will always be some heavy oil end up in the boots. Whoever did the alignment should have checked the toe in ion each wheel and the total, it is suspected they did not. That also invalidates anything else they may have said. eBay is not a bad source for used parts like a steering rack either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

In the time I have owned the vehicle, I have not had to add a drop of fluid to the power steering. even through all this level has not dropped. I've already bought the fluid so after fixing the alignment I'll probably just flush the old stuff out since I have never done it and I highly doubt the previous owner did. won't hurt to have new fluid in it.

As for Sears, I think I'll be having a chat with the manager about this. they should have noticed that it was off and not aligning as it should. Sounds like they were just aligning one side like you are probably saying and calling it a day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!