SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
pmbrunelle
pmbrunelle is on a distinguished road

Default Passlock relearn procedure

2002 SL2
Keyless entry
Manual transmission

Replaced:
Ignition lock cylinder
Ignition lock cylinder housing
Ignition switch

Battery voltage 12.6 V

Have tried removing "BODY" and "BODY COMP" fuses near passenger footwell.

Will fire on cranking, then fueling stops immediately. I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to "RUN". The car will run by spraying gasoline (with a spray bottle) into the throttle body.

The amber "SECURITY" lamp keeps flashing. Well over 30 minutes since attempting to start, the lamp does not stop flashing.

Have tried:
Turn key until engine catches and dies.
Turn starter for a moment before the engine has a chance to catch.

Neither method of turning the key to the "START" position results in the "SECURITY" lamp extinguishing. Passlock never times out.

Is this a dealer thing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pmbrunelle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pmbrunelle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pmbrunelle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Passlock relearn procedure

There is a relearn procedure, it is in the owners manual.

See post #4 in this thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=85798#

Notice the search box ^^^ right below the black menu bar? Enter security relearn and click search SaturnFans.com.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
pmbrunelle

I found that post by wolfman.

My problem is that the light doesn't stop flashing after 10 minutes. Or 20, or more...

It keeps flashing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pmbrunelle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

In that case you need the Tech-2 to force the relearn. This happens every so often. As long as your parts are for the correct year. IIRC the actual housing passlock sensor is year specific but I could be wrong on that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbrunelle View Post
I found that post by wolfman.

My problem is that the light doesn't stop flashing after 10 minutes. Or 20, or more...

It keeps flashing.
Ignore the light. Do the 30 minute relearn but go 12 minutes or so on the 10 minute cycle to be safe.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
pmbrunelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
In that case you need the Tech-2 to force the relearn. This happens every so often. As long as your parts are for the correct year. IIRC the actual housing passlock sensor is year specific but I could be wrong on that.
I ordered the new parts from rockauto.com, and everything was plug and play. Mechanically, that is. Assuming their electronic catalog is accurate (seems to be so), I like using rockauto.com for their parts interchange feature, which shows all other models a particular part is used on.

Tech-2, that'll be a last resort dealer thing then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Ignore the light. Do the 30 minute relearn but go 12 minutes or so on the 10 minute cycle to be safe.
I'll try this before going to the dealer.

I do have an idea now that mostly makes sense in my head:

I still have the original cylinder+housing+switch, semi-destroyed by having busted it with a screwdriver.

If I try to start the car like this, the "SECURITY" lamp starts blinking and the engine dies.

However, I can turn the screwdriver to "RUN" and Passlock doesn't seem to go nuts. The "SECURITY" lamp stays off (aside from the bulb test at power-on). It seems like the damage done by the screwdriver job only sets off the Passlock tamper detection when the screwdriver is in "START".

So, I should be able to put the screwdriver to "RUN", and push-start the car. Either that, or I can put 12V to the starter solenoid small terminal.

Once the car is running with no "SECURITY" lamp, I can cut the yellow wire in the 3-wire harness, and be done with these issues, permanently.

Make sense?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You can not just cut the wires. You have to determine the resistance when the BCM security is satisfied and install a resistor to keep it happy. Google will pull up the procedure, just be sure it is Saturn applicable.

Go buy a remote starter button and clip it on then take old housing and go to RUN. Now push the remote start and see if it stays running. Just disconnecting the remote clip on the battery positive renders it disabled. Thee are a couple of points where you can clip into the small starter wire other than the solenoid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Try what ssicarman suggested, may be the solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
pmbrunelle

The car is running again!

I transferred the original Passlock sensor to the new ignition cylinder housing. With the original "smart" components, the car started up right away, no fuss, no relearn.

To get out the old Passlock sensor from the housing:
1. Remove lock cylinder from housing.
2. Pry off metal cover plate.
3. File edges around where the cover plate was to facilitate Passlock sensor removal. The housing was deformed to keep the cover plate in place.
4. From the lock cylinder hole, push up on the Passlock sensor to remove it.

I also installed the original ignition switch, but, it looks like a "dumb" part to me. I cracked one open and didn't see anything special. I *THINK* they're interchangeable for the purposes of Passlock. An ohmmeter between all combinations of pins didn't show anything like a resistor, either very low, or near infinite resistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prying cover.jpg (64.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Filing edges.jpg (64.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Pushing out passlock sensor.jpg (66.7 KB, 36 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Excellent pictures! Damaging the Passlock assembly caused your problems.

From the service manual;

Theft Systems Description and Operation

Passlock

The passlock system is a vehicle theft deterrent system which deters drive-away vehicle theft by disabling engine operation if the ignition lock cylinder is not rotated with the proper mechanically cut key.

The passlock system is made up of an ignition switch assembly, passlock sensor, body control module (BCM), instrument panel cluster (IPC), and a powertrain control module (PCM).

The ignition switch contains a magnet mounted on the lock cylinder and a passlock sensor assembly which consists of security hall effect sensor, tamper hall effect sensor, and output resistors. A drill proof metal shield is also staked over the sensor housing.

The passlock sensor mounted to the ignition switch assembly is located inside the upper right side of the steering column. The passlock sensor contains two hall effect sensors: a tamper hall effect sensor and a security hall effect sensor. The tamper hall effect sensor is mounted on top of the security hall effect sensor. Should someone attempt to defeat the system by use of magnetic experimentation, the tamper hall effect sensor will activate first.

The BCM has the passlock controller integrated into it which controls the majority of the security systems logic. The BCM reads the data from the passlock sensor continuously. If the data is correct and has been received by the BCM within a specified time, the BCM will send a coded password to the PCM. The PCM will then allow the fuel injectors to operate.

The coded password for the security system is sent from the body control module to the PCM via the class 2 data link. If the password is correct and received within the specified time, the PCM will allow the fuel injectors to operate.

System Operation

The passlock system is designed to prevent vehicle operation if the mechanical key is not used to start the vehicle. The mechanical key, in normal operation, will turn the passlock lock cylinder. The passlock sensor (which is mounted to the passlock lock cylinder assembly) sends data by circuit 1836 to the body control module (BCM). The passlock sensor is powered by circuit 1459 from the BCM. The passlock sensor is grounded by circuit 1835 to the BCM. The BCM determines the validity of the passlock sensor data within a preset time window based on ignition switch input. The BCM will then send a coded password to the PCM by class II, circuit 1807. When the PCM receives the correct code, it will allow the fuel injectors to operate normally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The electric switch is generic. The removable lock cylinder may or may not be generic, you can swap a couple of cylinders and find out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbrunelle View Post
The car is running again!

I transferred the original Passlock sensor to the new ignition cylinder housing. With the original "smart" components, the car started up right away, no fuss, no relearn.

To get out the old Passlock sensor from the housing:
1. Remove lock cylinder from housing.
2. Pry off metal cover plate.
3. File edges around where the cover plate was to facilitate Passlock sensor removal. The housing was deformed to keep the cover plate in place.
4. From the lock cylinder hole, push up on the Passlock sensor to remove it.

I also installed the original ignition switch, but, it looks like a "dumb" part to me. I cracked one open and didn't see anything special. I *THINK* they're interchangeable for the purposes of Passlock. An ohmmeter between all combinations of pins didn't show anything like a resistor, either very low, or near infinite resistance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!