SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
strnlvr
strnlvr is just really nicestrnlvr is just really nicestrnlvr is just really nicestrnlvr is just really nice

2000 SC1
Default EGR valve cleaning

i am getting code for the EGR valve and the mechanic told me to replace the EGR valve.

i came home and tuned into richpin's channel. there he has a video of an EGR valve clean up and the aluminum gasket out of a soda can.

towards the end of richpin's video he says even after covering off the holes you are getting the same results then its NOT your EGR valve. so I did all of that and sure its not my EGR valve....then WHAT the heck is it???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strnlvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strnlvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: EGR valve cleaning

OBD-2 found a problem with the EGR valve; the thing about what Richpin said at the end pertains to power losses.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
1sksc2
1sksc2 has a spectacular aura about1sksc2 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2

it will be exspensive but you will need to go a dealer and get a new oem part. pepboys, autozone, oreilly, they dont sell this part. gm did a new design to help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1sksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1sksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1sksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
strnlvr
strnlvr is just really nicestrnlvr is just really nicestrnlvr is just really nicestrnlvr is just really nice

2000 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sksc2 View Post
it will be exspensive but you will need to go a dealer and get a new oem part. pepboys, autozone, oreilly, they dont sell this part. gm did a new design to help.
are you talking about getting a new brand new OEM EGR VALVE? dude its like $400 bucks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strnlvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strnlvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Reading your first post last line I interpret that to say you blocked the EGR and there was no change in performance, correct?

You need to clarify what the actual problem as 2nd hand info from a mechanic without actual code numbers has near zero credibility here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
1sksc2
1sksc2 has a spectacular aura about1sksc2 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2

well if there are codes, then you save 400 bucks possibly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1sksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1sksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1sksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
gveinot
gveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

we got the EGR code at 314,000km. I took it out, it was not as dirty as I thought for a 13 year old unit. I bathed it in carb cleaner overnight with the bottom part submerged in 1/2 inch of cleaner. started the engine with the EGR out to blow the carbon out. Org gasket was ok, hooked it all up and the 3days later the code came back. An older gent told me what my dad used to say " you got to get the carbon out of her" I took it out on the Trans Canada Highway, locked it into 3rd gear and drove her for 2 minutes at 80 Mph at 4300 rpm. Reset the code, trouble code never returned. Now at 319,500km, no problems so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strnlvr View Post
i am getting code for the EGR valve and the mechanic told me to replace the EGR valve.

i came home and tuned into richpin's channel. there he has a video of an EGR valve clean up and the aluminum gasket out of a soda can.

towards the end of richpin's video he says even after covering off the holes you are getting the same results then its NOT your EGR valve. so I did all of that and sure its not my EGR valve....then WHAT the heck is it???
Get the actual code and post it here. Many codes point to multiple possible causes and a mechanic will often pick the easiest one to diagnose and tell you to replace that part.

If you covered the EGR holes and have the same issues, the EGR isn't the issue. No harm done in cleaning it though, but get the code and hopefully the forum can point you to other possible causes and how to test and/or correct them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote