SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #21
bruff
bruff is on a distinguished road

Default Re: PCM Self-Test Indications

You are right. I bought a VIN report for 2 bucks that lists JB Auto Salvage as the holder. JB is where my daughter bought the PCM. The VIN does in fact belong to a 2001 SL2.

I called my contact at the Chevrolet Dealer in St. Cloud where I had the PCM programmed. He said he talked to his technician and the tech insisted he did everything according to procedure. He indicated that it was probably an issue with my code reader somehow reading the old VIN number. I can tow it to them for more troubleshooting ($$$$$$$) to figure out what is wrong with the tranny. Offered no explanation for not noticing the shifting problem. Funny how they did notice several other things that they needed to do while it was there for another $200 on top of the $98 or so to flash the PCM.

Question now, should I look for a computer out of a 2001 SL1 or should this PCM work if I find somebody that will actually flash it correctly. Is it possible to program the gear ratios into this PCM, meaning can I do this myself? I really need to avoid face to face time with the dealer right now if at all possible. I talked to another dealer (same owner, different part of town). They said they would have to start over and troubleshoot, not just program the computer. He actually told me it sounded like something that might take several days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bruff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bruff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bruff is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
bruff

OldNuc, the PCM that is in the car is out of a 2001 SL2. My daughter's car is 2001 SL1. The PCM after programming by the dealer still shows the VIN from the donor car. Also shows manufacturer as Chevrolet, not Saturn. I don't know if the Manufacturer is important or not but the VIN in the PCM being an SL2 seems significant since the engines are very different and I assume the transmissions as well. I am amazed that the engine seems to run as well as it does, no fault codes either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bruff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #23
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
...the tech insisted he did everything according to procedure.
Another "there's your trouble". Their "procedure" is probably some GM main line standard that doesn't apply to Saturns. I find it hard to believe that the PCM can at once be flashed with your VIN, but still store/report the old VIN. I would insist that they pay for a tow and do it right this time. Or pay to tow it to a Twin Cities dealer that knows how to service gen-3 Saturns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

+1^^^You need to talk with the actual service manager instead of some service writer. They did not perform the job correctly. Yes a DOHC fuel map will function in a SOHC and the converse is also true. You only run into engine issues with the incorrect fuel map when the extremes are reached.
They either do the job correctly at their expense or I would just drag them into small claims court.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

It is the type of transmission and year that are important. Did the SL2 donor have an automatic or manual transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #26
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
You are right. I bought a VIN report for 2 bucks that lists JB Auto Salvage as the holder. JB is where my daughter bought the PCM. The VIN does in fact belong to a 2001 SL2.

I called my contact at the Chevrolet Dealer in St. Cloud where I had the PCM programmed. He said he talked to his technician and the tech insisted he did everything according to procedure. He indicated that it was probably an issue with my code reader somehow reading the old VIN number. I can tow it to them for more troubleshooting ($$$$$$$) to figure out what is wrong with the tranny. Offered no explanation for not noticing the shifting problem. Funny how they did notice several other things that they needed to do while it was there for another $200 on top of the $98 or so to flash the PCM.

Question now, should I look for a computer out of a 2001 SL1 or should this PCM work if I find somebody that will actually flash it correctly. Is it possible to program the gear ratios into this PCM, meaning can I do this myself? I really need to avoid face to face time with the dealer right now if at all possible. I talked to another dealer (same owner, different part of town). They said they would have to start over and troubleshoot, not just program the computer. He actually told me it sounded like something that might take several days.
On that statement alone would cause me to go back to the original dealer and tell them that they did not do what was paid for and they will either make it right or refund your money.

For this issue you must have a 2001 PCM from a car with an automatic transmission. Once this is satisfied it can be flashed to the SL-1 automatic car. I would start calling other Chevy dealers until you find the one that also has Saturn trained techs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If it's the same part #, it's gotta be an automatic PCM at least. Plus, the OP would have a connector s/he wouldn't know what to do with if it were a manual PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #28
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is true for gen-2 but not gen-3.

There are only 2 different physical PCMs for each year, one is for the auto trans cars and the other is for the manual trans cars. So, you have to match the transmission and year. The paper tag will say AUTOMATIC or MANUAL and all the numbers may or may not resolve into information that is commonly available.

Makes this a difficult process that coupled with the non existence of Saturn dealerships and the general crookedness of most dealers and you have problems. It is fast reaching the point where the collective knowledge of the forum outweighs the dealership and the GM Tech Line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #29
madpogue

1996 SW2

Connectors are the same for both PCMs in gen-3? Eek....

Fifth position of donor VIN = K ==> automatic (sigh of relief...).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #30
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, then all he needs is a correct flash. The connector is the same at PCM end but it may be a different engine harness to get all the auto wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #31
bruff

You guys have been a wealth of information. It is not fast approaching, rather it has already reached the point where the knowledge of the forum far outweighs the dealership. I am not completely without a few troubleshooting skills and what the dealer and a transmission shop just did not make sense. Had the transmission shop replaced the tranny and still had the same issues, I wonder how they would have explained that one away.

I think I will go to the dealership tomorrow and start the discussion about the service department issues in the showroom.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #32
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Be polite as they tend to call the cops...
There are front office managers and owners who really do not want you telling stories on the morning and afternoon drive time talk radio shows. Or having a google search problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
bruff

I always try to be polite and never use language that I would find offensive if used in front of my wife and/or daughters. Hey, thanks for all the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #34
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Good luck finding someone who knows what they are doing. I gave up on going to most dealerships as their attitude was the customer is an idiot and we will tell them what they must buy and the quality of our work is beyond reproach.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #35
bruff

Well, the SL1 is going back to Starling Chevrolet Friday morning. Will let you know how it goes. Hopefully the car will be on the road this weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #36
OldNuc

1998 SC2

well, that should be progress. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
bruff

Finally, resolution. I towed the SL1 to Starling Chevrolet in St. Cloud, FL this morning to a redo on the PCM programming. They were extremely cordial. The technician reprogrammed the PCM and the car runs and shifts like new. No more fault codes either. The tech insists that he had the correct VIN in the PCM but that it somehow had a parameter for ABS which the SL1 does not have. All I know is that on the way to the dealership my code reader showed the old VIN for the donor car (SL2) and on the way home my code reader showed the correct VIN and everything works. They did not charge for the rework (as well they should not) and as long as it was running, I did not press the for the additional expense of towing it back to them a second time. I rented a tow dolly which was much cheaper than calling a wrecker so for tow trips it cost me $90. Both times they were able to complete the work same day. This morning the took care of it as soon as I arrived so I was only there about an hour. I started to drive around town looking for something to tow as long as I had the dolly. Hated to pay for 24 hours when I had it for a total of 2.5 hours.

Thanks for all the help on the forum. Your technical pointers kept me looking until confident in the position that their programming was the problem. Fortunately I did not go for the transmission replacement ($1600) suggested by the transmission shop. I'd have still had the same problem after spending $1600.

Thanks, you guys are great to share your knowledge so willingly. Hope I can do the same some time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #38
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Good to hear they got it right this time. It is only a 1 hr billable task by the Time and Labor guide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #39
Firebug
Firebug is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2000 SW2

I had the same trans problems after changing the PCM because of #2 injector being held on constantly by the PCM. Chevy flashed it for $80 and it's back to normal again. The doner was the same year but not the same model aparently.
Mine is a 2000 SW2. Thanks to your stories I knew just what to do.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firebug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firebug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firebug is offline   Reply With Quote