SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
bruff
bruff is on a distinguished road

Default PCM Self-Test Indications

2001 SL1 - What is the indication of a successful power-on PCM self-test?

I have no spark, no fuel pump. Dash lights do normal stuff when key turned on, then after they go out, the Security, Service and Service Engine Soon lights come back on and stay on. They are steady, no flashing of Security Light. I have left in Run position for 45 minutes and nothing changes. The three lights just stay on?

I also have failed to make a link to the computer with two different code readers.

Can the PCM be tested off the vehicle?

Thanks for any information you can provide. The young lady that owns the car simply does not have the money to take this to a dealer and apparently I don't have the smarts to figure it out for her.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bruff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bruff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bruff is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: PCM Self-Test Indications

Did you check fuses? Under the hood and in the car - about where the passenger's knee would be, on the center console. Pull off that panel, and the fuses locations are in the lid. I don't know which fuse, but frequently the ALDL connector is powered by an unrelated fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Woodpecker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Woodpecker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Check the security reset procedure in the owner's manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The PCM is passing the self test, it is not broke. The SES light should stay on. The Service and security lights are your problem. Check the BODY fuse in the I/P Junction Block. If the fuse is good check for 12v on the fuse socket terminal. This is a hot at all times circuit. Only one side will have power when the fuse is out. Use a probe small enough to touch the fuse clip without using force to get at it.

I would suggest a new mechanic that can think of something other than "computer broke".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

From another post... "Check the fuse labeled "Body" on the instrument panel fuse block. The ALDL connector will not function if this fuse is blown. Your domelight will also not work when manually switched on if this fuse is blown."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Woodpecker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Woodpecker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
bruff

Checked all fuses and they were good. Replace PCM with one from the junkyard and like magic, working fuel pump and sparks. However, we are now having shifting issues with the AT. No slipping but shifts through 2, 3 and 4 one time then downshifts to low and stays in low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bruff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

what year/model/transmission did you get the replacement pcm out of?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The 2000 and newer PCM are not swappable unless removed from an identical year, engine, transmission car with identical options. You can not tell what it cam out of by a part number on the box. It is all determined by the flash. What you describe is how they react when the incorrect engine-transmission PCM is installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
bruff

Checked fuses under hood to verify PCM fuse was good. Checked all others while under the hood. First fuses I checked were in panel by passenger left foot. Got in that panel to check power to fuel pump.

Car starts and runs fine after replacing PCM. Problem now is that I may have gotten wrong PCM. Shifting problems with gear ratio error codes. End up stuck in low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You have an incorrect engine/transmission flash in the PCM. There are only 2 PCMs for the 2000+, years, 2 per model year. They are manual trans or automatic trans. You take the car to the stealer and have it flashed to your VIN + any options you added. If you have swapped a manual for an auto etc then you need to find a PCM that came from your engine type with the transmission you now have + your options. Finding a dealer smart enough to pick the correct flash to make a trans swap work will be tough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
bruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The 2000 and newer PCM are not swappable unless removed from an identical year, engine, transmission car with identical options. You can not tell what it cam out of by a part number on the box. It is all determined by the flash. What you describe is how they react when the incorrect engine-transmission PCM is installed.
This PCM was flashed with the VIN. Would that not ensure that the software is correct? Nothing has been changed on the drivetrain so I would think the VIN would get the right software for the car. It was flashed at the dealer. The mileage was updated and the VIN input when it was flashed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That should be the end of the PCM issue but how did the dealer get the car running to finish the flash job? Or did you just take the PCM to the dealer?

What else electrical in the car does not work?

Please put the year and model of your car into your profile.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
bruff

I towed the car to the dealer to have them flash the replacement PCM. Everything on the car works except the gas gauge. I am running it through my head wondering what I did when I had the tank out of the car. I removed the tank for cleaning after the car sat in the garage for several years.

I guess I will contact the GM dealer service writer that I dealt with and ask if they can check the PCM programming if I bring it in without the car. I prefer not to rent a dolly to tow the car again but will if necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If I understand correctly the car was running and you drove it from the dealer. How long did it remain running before it quit?

When you say everything works but you have a Service wrench and a solid security light, both are indicating an electrical failure not related to the PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
bruff

Sorry, I am not being very clear. The lights were lit before replacing the PCM. The only lights I get now is to inform me that I have codes for unexpected gear ratios and the low fuel light. Security light is off.

I did not drive the car from the dealer and I expect they did not test drive it other than to move it outside. The registration is several years old so I towed it back to the house. The dealer is 15 miles from home and I did not want to ride in the back seat of the Sheriff's car.

When I drive the car on my street (three blocks and 25mph speed limit), the car shifts the first time through the gears (at least to third), then downshifts to first and stays. Occasionally when I let off the accelerator, I can feel it upshift but as soon as I press the accelerator, it downshifts back to first gear and stays.

After finding the shifting issue, I took it to a transmission shop. They read the unexpected gear ratio codes and condemned the tranny, $1600 for a used tranny installed. We said no because I was not at all convinced that the tranny had a problem. I brought it back home and drained the fluid. Fluid was not bright read but did not find metal in it and it had no burnt smell what so ever. I then checked the resistance on the valve body solenoids. The all tested around 5 ohms, within approximately 1/2 ohm of each other.

So, the car runs great and the only unexplained symptom is the shifting and fault codes for unexpected gear ratios.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When a PCM is reflashed there is a learning process that MUST be performed to learn the transmission gears. It is a very specific procedure and different than the --just drive gently for a couple hours-- that is required for transmission replacement. All codes come with numbers and it is impossible to fix a transmission problem without those numbers.

So, the car has never been driven on the road since the PCM was reflashed? How long has it been since the dealer did the reflash?

Need the actual code numbers as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
bruff

The PCM was reflashed three weeks ago. The codes are as follows:

Vehicle VIN: 1G8ZK52751Z266470
Vehicle Manufacturer: Chevrolet
Vehicle Calibration ID: 21009210

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0113: Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
P0732: Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0733: Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio
P0734: Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio

The Air Temp fault code is present because the air cleaner was removed to get to the valve body connector.

You haven sent me out to look at the codes caused me to notice that they PCM is programmed as a Chevrolet and with the wrong VIN. I am going to contact the dealer service department but expect they might try to convince me that this is not an issue. Is it possible that this VIN can cross to my VIN? How on earth would they know, and what would possibly be the reason to program the wrong VIN? Could this be the VIN from the donor car? My daughter got the PCM off the shelf at the junk yard. She verified that the PN was identical but no way to know what car it came out of.

When I first installed the PCM, Manufacturer and VIN were blank. These did not show until the dealer programmed the PCM. They had the car to get the VIN from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #18
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

That's a VIN for an SL2 (see http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...in_decode.html , or just plug it into carfax.com). Kinda explains things....

Edit - indeed, probably the donor car VIN, which means the dealer probably did pretty-much nothing.

* Idea - since the dealer's work has been, er, less than stellar, get them to pay for a Carfax (they probably have prepaid unlimited Carfax anyway...) of the above VIN. Bet a nickel and an old ECTS it comes up that the last title transfer / action was a scrap title at the yard where you obtained the PCM.

Last edited by madpogue; 06-29-2012 at 11:39 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yep, call dealer. Time to start asking lots of questions. The flash in the box is a DOHC performance trans and you have a SOHC economy trans, this will not work at all. Explains all trans codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Remember the YEAR of the PCM has to match the model year of the car.

That is a 2001 vintage PCM as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!