SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
guero005
guero005 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Dizzy air conditioning extreme power loss

hey guys so i have my 01 sc2 which i bought july of last year and when i drove it home the first time with the a/c on i froze because of how cold the air came out. well now when the a/c is turned on its not as cold so im suspecting a leak somewhere. But when i engage the a/c compressor and it turns on i get a massive amount of power loss. now i know the compressor takes a bit of power away but i shouldnt be having problems with the car bogging down and trying to stall and barely catch. also when im driving at any speed and i turn on the a/c you can feel the power loss through out the car and when i turn it off you can feel the power come back. any ideas??? thanks

Guero

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guero005's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guero005 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guero005 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
dynonacht
dynonacht is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: air conditioning extreme power loss

im not to sure what to think of this cuz i no a/c take power to create power for the compressor, im not the most experienced in the field, hope someone else can help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dynonacht's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dynonacht reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dynonacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
guero005

2001 SC2

thanks dyno yeah im not sure what it is either im taking auto classes but i havent signed up for the a/c class yet so im stuck in the woods for awhile until i figure out whats the deal.

Guero

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help guero005 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
dynonacht
dynonacht is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Does your car happen to be on youtube?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dynonacht's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dynonacht reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dynonacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
guero005

2001 SC2

no i have not put it up on youtube.

Guero

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
BV22
BV22 will become famous soon enoughBV22 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1

The second part of your issue I would say is normal. On a perfect day, you car has 124 HP and when you run the a/c,, you lose about 5% of that. If I'm going down the road and shut off the a/c, I can definitely feel a boost of power.

Your bogging/near stalling at idle with the a/c on is not right. The PCM knows when the a/c is on and automatically adjusts the idle to compensate. My car idles at 750 rpm with a/c on or off, and turning on the a/c at idle is almost imperceptible from the tach. So, the question is, how does your car idle when the a/c is off and at what RPM? I'm thinking you might have a general idle problem that becomes more noticeable with the a/c on. Have you ever cleaned the throttle body and/or the IACV and its port?

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
242k 09/14

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
guero005

2001 SC2

i have cleaned the throttle body many times with throttle cleaner as of the idle aicv and its i have not messed with them before. as for idling the car idles at around 500 rpm due to a vacuum leak my brother suspected. so everyonce in awhile the car starts idling at higher rpms sometimes it will go back down to 500 or sometimes i have to shut the car off and start it again.

Guero

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
BV22

2002 SC1

Vacuum leaks almost always raise the idle, not lower it. On these cars, if the IACV is completely closed, the engine will idle at 400-500 rpm. Sounds to me like your IACV is either stuck closed, or has failed in the closed position. With the resulting weak idle, adding the a/c load is just too much for it. I'd replace the IACV - about $40 and 15 minutes work.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
242k 09/14

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
guero005

2001 SC2

ill check the iacv and yeah thats what i thought for the vacuum leak. so i need to figure out where im getting unmetered air from. i just hope its not my compressor thats bad but i might need to recharge with new freon as well since the air isnt even as cold

Guero

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
BV22

2002 SC1

A quick check can confirm the IACV is not working right. Remove the air intake snorkel and start the car. With the engine running at idle, cover the hole in the bottom of the throttle body just in front of the throttle plate. If the idle does not change, the IACV is completely closed. It should not be closed when the engine is at idle. Before replacing it, I would verify that the wiring to it is intact and that the connector is all the way plugged in.

Get the idle up to where is should be to get that a/c compressor spinning at the right speed before you get too worked up about the a/c. No way you would get any cooling with the engine idling that slow. If it also blows warm at cruising speed, that is far better evidence that you have a leak to find and repair.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
242k 09/14

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
guero005

2001 SC2

cool i will give that a try and see what i can find out thanks BV and as for the air temp its still cold just not as cold as it was when i bought it about a year ago

Guero

REWARD EXCELLENCE!