SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
vjd
vjd is on a distinguished road

Default L300 stalls and won't start both at lights and while driving on highway

Hello,
My 2004 Saturn L300 wagon, V6 series 3 is now stalling and won't start for a bit...then it will start. It stalls at lights and even while I am going 60 mph on the highway. I tested the alternator and it is fine. The battery appeared to be defective according to the autoparts store and so I replaced that, but it still stalled on the highway on the way to work. After the stall, it won't start again for about 10 minutes. It never gets hot. After the second stall incident, the engine light came on.
Ran code check and the following codes came up; Transmission control sensor ( which I already had replaced at the dealership) and Engine speed sensor circuit no signal.

Would the engine speed sensor cause this stalling? IT turns over fine, but won't start and it is so weird that when I am driving at such a fast rate of speed that the car dies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vjd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L300 stalls and won't start both at lights and while driving on highway

The engine speed sensor is what we describe as the crank position sensor, next to the oil filter. You can search past threads about similar symptoms of erratic, intermittent behavior based mostly on engine heat. Heat cold and vibration are the environment the cps runs in. Removing it for bench testing requires a multimeter to measure resistance (700-1200 ohms) at ambient and when immersed in boiling water. Rapping it on the table a few times for vibration failure. Any open reading means an intermittent failure.

The sole purpose of the cps is to provide precise timing signals while sensing crankshaft rotation to allow the ecm to operate. No cps output = no ecm operation to; turn on the fuel pump, ignition system, and pulse the injectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
vjd

Default Re: L300 stalls and won't start both at lights and while driving on highway

Okay, didn't see your response. Will test this and let you know what I find. Are you saying to put it in boiling water?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As close to boiling water as practical. You're measuring the resistance at ambient and elevated temperatures as it operates below freezing as well as hot engine temps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
vjd

Okay this appears to have solved the problem. When I took the sensor out there were metal shavings on the sensor ( not good I would imagine) I got open readings even without doing the boiling water and intermittent readings of 900 and open with the vibration test. Since I have replaced the sensor, I noticed the auxiliary fan is working properly again ( I had thought that was another problem I would have to deal with)
So it appears you have hit the nail on the head and I thank you. This car has 160,000 mile on it and I can't afford a new one, so I would imagine I will be back again but I hope not for a while. I am so grateful to have access to people like you who are knowledgeable about these cars. Really, you have no idea how grateful I am for your assistance and this site.
Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vjd's Reputation
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
SpyrilJ7
SpyrilJ7 is on a distinguished road

we are having the same issues with our 2003 saturn l300........for those who have ordered the parts online, where would i go to get this? The auto shops want an arm and a leg for the part. Also, has anyone installed it themselves and if so, are you a mechanic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpyrilJ7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpyrilJ7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpyrilJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try searching crank position sensors online. Rockauto.com is a sponsor here but shopping online is quicker to find prices.

The cps is a three-wire thingy located next to the oil filter. Rockauto shows pictures of parts. Plug n' play. Remove from a cold or warm engine. Ensure the new one is fully seated before tightening its mounting bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
SpyrilJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Try searching crank position sensors online. Rockauto.com is a sponsor here but shopping online is quicker to find prices.

The cps is a three-wire thingy located next to the oil filter. Rockauto shows pictures of parts. Plug n' play. Remove from a cold or warm engine. Ensure the new one is fully seated before tightening its mounting bolt.
ty for that, what category would it fall under?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SpyrilJ7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oh, sorry, I forgot about lists. Rockauto has them in the 'ignition' list.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
SpyrilJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Oh, sorry, I forgot about lists. Rockauto has them in the 'ignition' list.
ty for your information....getting it fixed later today

REWARD EXCELLENCE!