SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
sandsdenver
sandsdenver will become famous soon enoughsandsdenver will become famous soon enough

Roll Eyes Codes of P1404 and P0410

Model SL2, 1999, manual transmission.

I bought car w/135,000 miles on it, has about 155,000 now.
Maint I have gotten done, radiator blew and clutch shifter cable broke. Both fixed. Regular oil changes, check fluids regularly.

Unknown if tuneup ever has been done.
Previous owner cited no major issues (but we know how that goes).
Burns oil, have to put in oil about 1 quart every 3-4 weeks, no visible white smoke from engine/tail. But I drive the car for my job, so it gets about 50 miles a day (80% city 20% hwy driving). I get oil changed about once every 2-3 months.

Issues:
About one month ago I noticed the engine temp gauge started not working all the time, sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldnt....I regularly check fluids, so no biggie...water for radiator always good. Figured sensor was going out.

About two weeks ago engine start acting odd.....when started it would hover around 200 RPM, I would pump gas, and eventually it would settle at about 1100, alittle too high, but it ran. Around that same time the check engine light came on. I proceeded to drive it about 1 week, and engine doing same thing, starts (not always) sluggishly. When in idle its fine, but if I do not give it enough gas starting out of first, it would stall, where normally it would not. Tried a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, didnt help. If the idle is too low from neutral into 1st or 1st into 2nd its stalls out, or comes really really close...at which time I put it into neutral and give it gas. I tend to compensate now by giving it more gas when accelerating out of these gears.

When it has problems starting and I give it gas almost sounds like it missing a cylinder firing (mind you I am not a mechanic, very limited observation here, I can do basic work), and I get white smoke from under hood and out of rear.

Took car to AutoZone, codes of P1404 and P0410.
For P1404 I decided to replace EGR valve (used 75 dollar part bought at auto zone) per internet research, solved nothing, issue still around.

When I pop the hood, I believe I hear air hissing out of some hose, but have not been able to confirm, much less locate.

Where can I go from here?

Thank you,
Jimmy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sandsdenver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sandsdenver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sandsdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
awilson506
awilson506 will become famous soon enoughawilson506 will become famous soon enough

1998 SL
Default Re: Codes of P1404 and P0410

This should solve your issue. I had the same problems and this 10 dollar part cured it. If the ECTS is dead your engine will run rich and have high idle. and the Temp gauge will normally not work correctly. Here's the how to on this:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=24003#

It's a 10 dollar part that is worth replacing even if it's not the current issue because it will be an issue soon if the original plastic one is in there.

Also check your radiator cap it might be where the hissing noise is coming from...

A failed ECTS will cause the radiator fan not to kick on and your engine could be overheating with out the temp gauge saying so -- another reason for the radiator cap to be hissing because the fluid will be hot.

R.I.P. 185K 9/17/13

Last edited by awilson506; 05-31-2012 at 03:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awilson506's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awilson506 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awilson506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

A very good suggestion above. The P0410 is the secondary air injectioin system malfunctioning. It has absolutely nothing to do with engine performance and should be last on your list to worry about. Plenty of threads on here for diagnosis and repair of this system.

If replacing the EGR valve did not clear the P1404, try running the car briefly (10-15 seconds) with the EGR valve removed. Be warned, this will be very loud and may eject some nasty crud out of the open hole.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
sandsdenver
sandsdenver will become famous soon enoughsandsdenver will become famous soon enough

Tonight I took the new EGR valve off, and used some carb cleaner in it. There was not all that much buildup around it (but it was only in car 5 days . We inspected the old one, wasnt that much there either. We sprayed some cleaner into the hole (pintle?) that the EGR vavle covers, but again, it was not all that much built up. I looked at the EGR fuse, it was fine (found one under hood, have not looked inside cabin for fuse). With it off I started engine and sir, you are correct, it reeevvved up like a mother to abouyt 5000 RPMs! I let it run for about 5-8 seconds, then it died (maybe normal). Dad was with me, he used some carb clearer into the long black hose that ran from the airfilter to the back part of the engine (about 5-6 inches wide). He pissed and moaned about the good old days with carbs and not this electronic crap. For the 2.97 I paid for the can of carb cleaner, it was worth it for working on the car with dad again, even if it didnt work!

So the EGR valve has been replaced and the part (hole) where it connects to cleaned. I will follow the suggestions and report back this weekend, thanks for the help.

Jimmy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sandsdenver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sandsdenver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sandsdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
todd97sl
todd97sl will become famous soon enoughtodd97sl will become famous soon enough

Well Jimmy, did this take care of you p1404 code? I replaced my egr valve and can't get rid of my code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todd97sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help todd97sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
todd97sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The original poster may not reply since he promised to report and most likely left until he needs help again. In the meantime you can search for other threads about P1404, wait the three engine cycles for the SES light to turn off or manually reset the error by pulling the pcm fuse for a minute.

SES errors that are corrected by repairs or replacement of faulty parts will automatically reset after three engine cycles of normal driving - the self test of emissions occurs every time the engine is started/run/warmed up, car driven. After the 3rd time with no errors since the last one was corrected, the OBD II diagnostics will reset the error light. This is the easiest way to have the OBD II system reset and prepare for state emissions. Resetting manually will force everything back to factory default and requires as much as 50 miles (or more) of driving to perform a 'drive cycle' that meets various engine speeds, coolant temperatures, stop n' go, and highway speeds to fulfill the entire testing procedure. You can search for the drive cycle and make your head spin or simply accept the fact that driving every day will fulfill the entire drive cycle routine without having to actually spend the time performing the exact steps. Most drivers that need to have state inspection and manually reset their SES light find out from the inspection station that their emissions aren't ready, all due to manually resetting the SES light instead of leaving it alone to reset on its own. Readers plugged in to the diagnostic port will display something about readiness monitors not ready or showing which monitor failed. Readiness monitors are the emission self tests that I described and run every time the engine is run. Manually resetting the SES light also resets all the readiness monitors back to zero, requiring the car be driven for a day or more as each phase of emissions tests are run.

If you are not scheduled for state emissions testing then a manual reset can be done or just let the OBD II system reset the light on its own. If after three engine cycles doesn't reset the light then visit Autozone and retrieve the error code(s).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
todd97sl

Fdryer, thank you for your generous post.
I will try to pull the PCM fuse for a minute as you suggested. I think I have tried everything else the forums recommend. I have had the light cleared several times with an OBDII, and just tried to let it cycle off itself. The light does eventually go away but it keeps coming back. I have been fighting this p1404 code for 300 miles now. The car runs great and I know I'm not hurthing anything but I'd just like to get it right.
Again, I appreciate your reply.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help todd97sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
todd97sl

fdryer, your advise to remove the PCM fuses apparently worked! It has been 6 days now with no check engine light and no code on the OBDII. Thank you for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

All's well that ends...............with the SES light staying off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
todd97sl

About 10 days after removing the fuses, the code p1404 came back. I ended up removing the intake manifold, stripping it of all sensors, etc., and cleaning the manifold and throttle body. I used about 4 cans of throttle body cleaner, brushes and a drain snake with a rag on the end to clean all ports well. It has been over a month now and the code has not come back. I think I have it this time. Thanks for all the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

All's well that ends...............with the SES light staying off. Again..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!