SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
06saturn
06saturn is on a distinguished road

Default Lug nut caps

I have a 06 saturn Ion and I was trying to rotate the tires. But I can't get off the hubcaps because of the little plastic nuts being so tight. I have tried the tire tool, a socket wrench and pliers. Still haven't gotten them off. Also where can I get these? Can someone give me a link to them on ebay because am going to need news one because ill probably have to rip these to pieces to get them off. Also I need gray. Thanks

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
06saturn

Default Re: Lug nut caps

Does anyone know what am talking about? I have black base rims with a plastic rim cover and have plastic lug nut things that hold on the plastic which screw on the metal lug nuts. I have tried a razor knife by cutting them andnit worked but took forever on one. Also tried a impact wrench to try and shake them loose. I dont have any other ideas and need to rotate my tires badly. Please help.

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 06saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

I have no idea why you can not get the plastic covers off of your lugnuts. Maybe someone super glued them on just to piss you off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I when to buy theses super hub caps off a Junkyard once upon a time thinking to put them on to my 15" Wheels for the winter. Turns out you need the special Steel Wheels and Lug Nuts from GM to go along with the hub caps otherwise they will not fit.... after figuring out it was that much trouble and money to have Saturn Hub Caps.... I went and purchase Aftermaket 15" Mag Wheels for the Winter !!!

Problem Solved!

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
06saturn

i would by new rims for this car but i bought brand new lug nut caps and was going to put the new ones on and rotate my tires. has anybody ever not been able to remove them? i am using the right socket but there just on to tight.

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

Nope in all the years I've been alive I have never had a problem removing the plastic lugnut covers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A partial reprint below. These plastic cap covers are sold at Autozone or online. Wait a few years and each one will crack by themselves from weathering. They stay on or fall off on their own. Guess how I know? Perhaps yours are tougher to hold the plastic wheel cover on?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tire and wheel removal 1.pdf (126.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 05-25-2012 at 04:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
06saturn

They have been on there sincr 06 and none of them have one crack on them. I guess if i havr a flat i wont be able to change it and i cant rotate my tires either that need to be rotated badly.

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No one knows it all or can do it all. Go to a gas station and have a mechanic rotate the tires and watch them. Most shops are prevented by insurance from allowing customers inside the service bays so choose a shop or go to a big chain store like Pep Boys and watch from outside. There's no excuse to learning. Ask a mechanic. Sometimes being humble and asking 'dumb' questions lets others know you aren't informed and opens communications without ridicule. Good people don't ridicule someone that doesn't know and is willing is to ask how things work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
06saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
No one knows it all or can do it all. Go to a gas station and have a mechanic rotate the tires and watch them. Most shops are prevented by insurance from allowing customers inside the service bays so choose a shop or go to a big chain store like Pep Boys and watch from outside. There's no excuse to learning. Ask a mechanic. Sometimes being humble and asking 'dumb' questions lets others know you aren't informed and opens communications without ridicule. Good people don't ridicule someone that doesn't know and is willing is to ask how things work.
I know how to rotate tires and properly take a wheel off of a car. I know a lot more about vars to. The problem am having is when i try to take the plastic lug nut caps off the socket just spins on it because the cap is so tight and am using the right size socket.

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You don't seem to understand hints. If you don't then here's a rude awakening; use a big ******g hammer to break off the caps unless you know a better way to unscrew them while turning stripped plastic threads. Plastic breaks, hardened steel bolts don't. Admitting defeat does not make you less a person than stubborness makes one ignorant. Watching someone else do things you never did before is all about l-e-a-r-n-i-n-g from someone more experienced than you.

There's a simple fact of life. There's always someone smarter than you. Accept it and move on. I work with people way dumber than me and also work with smart ones. The smart ones I learn from.............................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
06saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You don't seem to understand hints. If you don't then here's a rude awakening; use a big ******g hammer to break off the caps unless you know a better way to unscrew them while turning stripped plastic threads. Plastic breaks, hardened steel bolts don't. Admitting defeat does not make you less a person than stubborness makes one ignorant. Watching someone else do things you never did before is all about l-e-a-r-n-i-n-g from someone more experienced than you.

There's a simple fact of life. There's always someone smarter than you. Accept it and move on. I work with people way dumber than me and also work with smart ones. The smart ones I learn from.............................
I understand theres smarter people. I took you reply the wrong way sorry. I thought you meant to take it to someone and watch them because i didnt know how to rotate tires. But now i understand you meant see how they get these particuarly stipped plastic nuts. I will take your advice and beat the crap out of them with a hammer lol. thats also the only other thing i know of doing. ill try this and see what happens. thanks for the help.

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

If the plactis covers are actually spinning on the wheel nuts but not coming of then try this. Pull out on the hub cap by the cap that you want off and spin the cap off. Works best when spinning it off with a power tool of some kind.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
06saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
If the plactis covers are actually spinning on the wheel nuts but not coming of then try this. Pull out on the hub cap by the cap that you want off and spin the cap off. Works best when spinning it off with a power tool of some kind.
thats not what there doing. they on are so tight that when i try to loosen them the socket just spins on them and am using the right socket. somehow someone put them on very tight.

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06saturn View Post
thats not what there doing. they on are so tight that when i try to loosen them the socket just spins on them and am using the right socket. somehow someone put them on very tight.
I somehow got the impression that they were spinning on the wheel nuts.

If you are sure that the hub caps are actually Saturn hub caps with the plastic hold down nuts and not after market ones with molded into the hub cap fake nuts then as mentioned break up the plastic nuts with a chisel or flat blade screw driver.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
06saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
I somehow got the impression that they were spinning on the wheel nuts.

If you are sure that the hub caps are actually Saturn hub caps with the plastic hold down nuts and not after market ones with molded into the hub cap fake nuts then as mentioned break up the plastic nuts with a chisel or flat blade screw driver.
So get a chisel or a srewdriver and hit it with a hammer?

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06saturn View Post
I have a 06 saturn Ion and I was trying to rotate the tires. But I can't get off the hubcaps because of the little plastic nuts being so tight. I have tried the tire tool, a socket wrench and pliers. Still haven't gotten them off. Also where can I get these? Can someone give me a link to them on ebay because am going to need news one because ill probably have to rip these to pieces to get them off. Also I need gray. Thanks
Take a good pic and post it here so we can have a look...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
06saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper1327 View Post
Take a good pic and post it here so we can have a look...
I will gladly take a pic but i dont k.ow how to upload it to this forum.

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
06saturn

Today I got all of them off. Found out the back wheel ones were fine and came off with the lug nut wrench. The front ones I used a flathead and hammer. The problem ended up being rusted metal lug nuts. I don't know how they got rusted. but I had to beat my socket on the lug nuts and scrap off the rust a little to get my socket on and turn them loose. They were covered in rust but the back ones look like new with a litte tiny bit of rust. One on the front rusted so bad that the orginal size lug nut wrench wouldn't fit it. But I bought brand new metal lug nuts. Anyone ever have the lug nuts rust like crap before and only on the front? Kinda weird I say.

06' Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Well if I read the post right... if you haven't done anything with these wheels/tires for 6 years (Regular Rotations/Service)... rusted lug nuts seems likely/common. Not going to be a problem on vehicles that have rotations at least once or twice a year...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote