SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Ursaturngirl
Ursaturngirl is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Dizzy My 2000 SL2 wont start- battery dead..

Okay this may seem stupid but I have heard about issues with saturns and the computer. Let me say that my saturn has had every scheduled maintenance since new. I just had an oil change at 83K miles and just had the PCV replaced and an alignment. Well it was running perfectly and even took it to California for a week and was great no problems. Then the other day took my son to the park and ran great and when we went to leave it wouldnt start, no cranking or anything not even lights. The radio didnt work or turn on and there was no sounds at all. Well we had a guy jump us and started right up. Then we drove it to the next place and same thing, got jumped and worked. After that I decided to take it to the auto parts store to test the battery. I left it running for awhile and the guy came out to test the battery and told me to turn it off and try to start again. well I didnt need a jump and it started right up. He said the battery was about 65% and would need replaced soon. He said the alternator looked to be charging great. Then the next day tried to start it again and it was a little hesitant but started without a jump after giving some gas when starting it. Then took it to the store and wouldnt start again. Tried jumping it with two different cars and wont do anything again. NO lights or cranking or trying to turn over. Just turn the key and nothing(not even dash lights). Do you think its the starter? or I have read that sometimes in saturns if the battery is too dead then the computer will go in "hibernation" mode where it wont do anything. anyone else had this problem? And I am going to the auto store today to get a new battery anyways and hopefully its the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ursaturngirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ursaturngirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ursaturngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: My 2000 SL2 wont start- battery dead..

I'd spend $5 on a couple wire brush's first (local Napa usually has a pack of 3 in the $5 bin) and clean the battery terminals before buying a battery...unless the battery is more then 5 years old. Then I'd get the battery AND the wire brushs and still clean the terminals.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the Board.

Nothing goes into hibernation with a low battery. I would check the battery cables at the battery for corrosion and tightness. Remove the bolts from the cable ends and pull the plastic covers off to do a complete check for corrosion.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Ursaturngirl

2000 SL2

Thanks, yeah the battery was bought in 2007 so I am thinking its about time anyways. The terminals and everything look fantastic and clean(I keep my engine clean ). I will check the connections again. Does it sound like a starter issue? I really hope its not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ursaturngirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

It doesn't matter how clean you keep the engine compartment; what needs to be clean is the connections BETWEEN the cables and the posts. All the cosmetic outside cleaning in the world won't help that, and may indeed hinder it (water on the terminals may eventually get between the terminals and posts causing corrosion). Remove the battery terminals (NEGATIVE FIRST), as mentioned above, and clean with a wire battery brush. Do the same with the battery connection at the starter, and the main ground.

Reconnect the battery negative LAST. As you reconnect the battery terminals, get a feel as you tighten the bolts; if they don't feel like they're tightening down properly, the bolt and/or the battery post may be stripped, making for a weak connection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

Just get a voltmeter and test the battery and starter. There's a video describing exactly how to do it. It couldn't be easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Ursaturngirl

2000 SL2

I never said I used water to keep my engine clean. Yes I do have a wire brush and cleaned the terminals. still doesnt help. I will just replace the battery today and see if that fixes it. Doesnt really sound like a starter issue to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
simkid5614
Advanced Member
simkid5614 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

So. If manual. Clutch in GEAR IN N. Push car really fast hop in jam in gear pop clutch. Then take to auto store and get new battery

2002 SL2 115k "Whisper" No leaks!! :) 115 and going strong..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simkid5614's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simkid5614 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simkid5614 is offline   Reply With Quote