SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
wobbles1
wobbles1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
Question Check engine light need help

Hello, i need some help, i own a 98 saturn sl
i took my car to be inspected, got these errors :

P0107 Map sensor low input - since replaced

P0117 ETCS - its fubar i tried replacing it and it broke off flush my mechanic doesnt wanna drill it out.

P0122 TPS - since replaced

P0301 Misfire 1 - since replaced plug

P0327 Knock sensor - havent checked cuz it detected misfire

P0341, P0340 Cam position sensor ''A'' circuit - i dont have a clue what this means, i know the 98's used cylinder 4 as the cam sensor, so what is wrong?

i had autozone read codes after i replaced those mentioned above, now i only have P0117, P0341, P0340.

any ideas what i can do to fix this, mainly the cam error. could the ETCS be causing the cam error? any help would be greatly appreciated also i tried having ignition module tested at autozone apparently they dont have the connection for mine, figures. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wobbles1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wobbles1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wobbles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Check engine light need help

You're chasing your tail until you resolve the ECTS issue. No need to drill it. When it broke off, did it leave the hollow end of the sensor in the head? If so, just find an easy-out time screw extractor that will fit in the hole. Tap it INWARD toward the head, gently. Each time you tap it, it should turn counterclockwise a bit, indicating that it's biting into the sensor body. Once you see it turn 1/8-1/4 turn as you tap it in, start gently turning counterclockwise on it. Use a vise-grip or small open-end wrench on the square flats of the easy-out. Soon you'll start to feel the sensor backing out. Be patient and keep turning. When it gets close to coming out, have the replacement sensor at the ready so you can put it in as soon as the old one comes out. Tighten the new one to 71 INCH-pounds (that's <7 ft-lb). You need an inch-pound range torque wrench for this. Remember, you're not fastening two parts with this; it's just a "plug", and you do NOT bottom out the threads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
wobbles1
wobbles1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL

it broke off inside, so that the threads are inside the head. the sensor is recessed just a tad inside the hole. do you know the diameter of the extractor i would need?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wobbles1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wobbles1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wobbles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Buy the set. 3/16 or 1/4 will work but you have to get in there and dig out some of the insulation so the extractor has a clear shot to dig into the brass.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote