SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
brokendown
brokendown is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
Default CNG conversion?

I was curious whether anyone had ever considered/researched into the possibility of converting a Saturn SL to CNG...

Yes the Saturn is already a fuel efficient car - but i'm expecting to probably resume my previous driving 30k miles a year habits (long distance to college and stuff, which was postponed for awhile) which I expect to go on for a number of years yet... I already know something about working on my Saturn, and don't want to learn a different car if I can help it. (like a Cavalier bi-fuel, which is what i'd get otherwise) I like my stick shift too. (Cavalier is auto-only) Including it's potential towing ability which the Cavalier lacks.

So i'd like to explore it... just at least the feasibility (and safety) of the technical aspects of the conversion. I'm aware some things are in a legal grey area, which i'll worry about if it shows to even be possible and feasible to convert an SL. :P

Note I specifically want to maintain bi-fuel ability. There is only one CNG refueling station in Minnesota, and though I will be within range of it able to refuel during college stuff, if I add any extra driving in i'll be out of gas before I can make it back the next day to fill back up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brokendown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brokendown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brokendown is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: CNG conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendown View Post
(Cavalier is auto-only) Including it's potential towing ability which the Cavalier lacks.
Auto only? My dad's Cavi Z24 could have been a 5spd, but a 3spd autotragic was standard with the 3.1L V6. Fairly easy swap as well, though not as simple as the S-Series. Not enough were 5spd's so finding one is the hardest part. He was looking into cargo springs for it as well, but then he blew the bottom end in the engine and let it rot in the yard so I couldn't put a 5spd in it even if I knew where to get one

$700 plus the tank? Good grief that'd take for ever to pay for itself, let alone create a savings...
http://ewsews.com/cngprices.html

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
mattwithcats
Advanced Member
mattwithcats is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1998 SL2

I would convert it to E-85.
Should cost around $200
Plenty of stations in Minnesota I think...

All you have to do is change the dwell time on the injectors,
Conversion kits available to do that,

However someone on this forum has used SL2 injectors on an SL/SL1...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

many cng cars converted in the 70s when gas prices went way up so i know it can be done. with current gas prices i dont think it would pay for itself if that is the object. gas would have to be more expensive like in the 80s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

It must take a monster sized tank to hold the CNG. The buses around town that run CNG have a massive tank on top of the bus that is probably about 25 feet long and 3 feet tall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
It must take a monster sized tank to hold the CNG.
Yeah - you are going to lose your trunk space. Here's another thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?t=115193#

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...2-Cylinder.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Might be more cost efficient to look at slightly taller tires, slightly higher tire pressures, some aero mods and a hot air intake. Should push you near 50 mpg on your long drives

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
12/2008 silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 172k
7/2010 white Craigslist 1997 SC2 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
many cng cars converted in the 70s when gas prices went way up so i know it can be done. with current gas prices i dont think it would pay for itself if that is the object. gas would have to be more expensive like in the 80s.
Those 70s conversions were to propane, not CNG. same basic process but the CNG conversions have to be EPA approved and installed by EPA licensed, bonded installers. If you happen to live in an area where you do not get hit with periodic inspections and have the ability the parts are available and you can DIY. You will need a gas compressor and they are expensive. The people who sell these parts are a bit touchy about who they sell to though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post
I would convert it to E-85.
What?! Why?! E-85 isnt anywhere cheap enough to make a cost savings. The huge loss in mpg going to E-85 will make it worse than just leaving it alone. Not to mention he will be stopping to fill up much more often. E-85 makes less sense than putting a magnet on your fuel line.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
mattwithcats
Advanced Member
mattwithcats is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1998 SL2

Depends on what you pay for E-85.

I pay 50 cents less (on average) than 87 octane gas.

Without doing any change to dwell times, you can run 22-23% Ethanol.
I think you can go higher, have not tried yet.

Combine that with .605 5th gear and 205/60/15 tires inflated to 44 psi (max)

She usually take ten miles before the temp gauge moves, and I smell fries, (the catalytic converter is hot)

Getting 44 in a 98 and 48 in a 01 SL2 highway...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote