saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default 96 sl2 ac deleted, how do i use ac button as a manual fan switch

Deleted my ac, I got a shorter belt. I have a 96 sl2. How do I now use my ac button as a manual radiator fan switch? Been looking everywhere but can't really find my answer. Any direction would be appreciated!
96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 96 sl2 ac deleted, how do i use ac button as a manual fan switch

Locate the pressure switch by the battery, disconnect the two-wire connector and insert a wire jumper across the female connector, and voila(!) - a manual fan switch. Its presumed the compressor power wire is disconnected in order to make this manual fan switch work. Now you can use the a/c button as the manual fan switch. Just remember that the fan stays running with the a/c button pressed ON - turning off the ignition switch will turn off the fan but when the ignition switch is turned ON then the fan will run again because you forgot to turn the fan off. You have a manual fan switch.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
ddeuces22
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

Sweet, gonna get my hands dirty and take a look tomorrow or Saturday. When you say put a jumper accross the female connector. Are you saying to use a wire to connect one of the female adapter wires to the other?
96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar
Old 05-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The pressure switch attached to the high pressure refrigerant line is used to detect high and low pressure in the a/c system. When too high or too low, this switch opens and tells the pcm to disable compressor power. With the a/c removed or at least the power wire disconnected from the compressor, wiring a jumper across this pressure switch connector will allow using the a/c button to turn on the cooling fan at any time while the ignition switch is turned ON. Simply disconnect the wiring connector from this pressure switch; pull the two-wire connector off the pressure switch and you'll see a female connector - use a small wire to connect the two female sockets - this tells the pcm the fan can be turned on using the a/c button. A paper clip or small gauge wire will do. When done correctly and the fan runs with switching the a/c button ON/OFF, tape this connector connection securely so the wire won't become disconnected.
VCX NANO
Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
ddeuces22
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

ok I gotcha, very well written too i might add. Thank you
Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
ejs811
ejs811 is on a distinguished road

Is there a picture guide to this anywhere?
thanks.
ejs811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There may be. Search for richpin videos. He may not have this video as bypassing the a/c system but should have one for testing the compressor. All you're looking for, whether with a video or not, is the a/c pressure switch near the battery that's 'T'd into the high pressure side of the a/c plumbing. Disconnect the two-wire connector and insert a short wire between the two female terminals of the connector, not the switch on the high pressure line. And remember to disconnect the compressor power wire - you do not want the compressor powered up at any time especially if the a/c doesn't work any more.
VCX NANO
Old 06-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
ejs811
ejs811 is on a distinguished road

YouTube search for "A/C Troubleshooting(part 1)of 2" at about 3:30 into it.
Forum wont let me post link until I have 15 posts...

The connector is the part that you pull off of the switch, and the switch is attached to the car, correct?
And how do I disconnect the compressor power cable?

Thanks, again.
ejs811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

On the compressor is either a single or double wire connector. Disconnect it - no more compressor power.
VCX NANO