SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
halo14
halo14 is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn Vue Intermittent Starting Problem

Saturn Vue randomly fails to start. It started failing once a month, then once a week, now itís almost everyday.

The Fuel Pump pressure checked out ok and is pushing enough psi.
Used a basic scanner that resulted in a P0171 & P0174 errors that I fixed by replacing the MAF Sensor, now there are no more error codes, but it still keeps randomly failing to start.

I replaced the CPS Sensor about a year ago, so Iím familiar with the symptoms of when that one fails (power cuts off while driving & parked)

The only way it starts after it fails is by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Not sure where to go from here, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to halo14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help halo14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
halo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Intermittent Starting Problem

Is the security indicator ON/flashing during starting? Passlock (GM) disables the injectors to prevent engine running. You can crank the engine all day but it won't fire up.

Resetting is either a 10-minute wait with ignition ON until the security light stops flashing or a 30-minute relearn procedure (posted in these forums). The Passlock sensors surround the ignition switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo14 View Post
I replaced the CPS Sensor about a year ago, so Iím familiar with the symptoms of when that one fails (power cuts off while driving & parked)
'Cam' or 'Crankshaft'?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
halo14

First off, thank you for the replies.

fdryer: security indicator light does not come on or flash during startup, BUT it does seem like the injectors are disabled because it seems like no fuel is passing through, I will double check this since it sounds like it might be the case.

chazberry: it was the Crank Position Sensor, I was amazed at how much pain that caused and how easy it was to fix and install.

Update: I replaced the MAF sensor to get rid of the 2 lean codes that were coming up...those went away, but the vehicle failed the next morning. I disconnected the battery and the Vue worked fine for about 8 days. It failed to start again, so I ended up disconnecting the battery (both - & +) but this time it just doesn't want to start anymore, it just keeps cranking and cranking... I'm going to go check again for the security indicator light as fdryer suggested and update tomorrow again... thanks again for your suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help halo14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
halo14

Just went & confirmed that the Security Light does not flash or stay on while cranking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-What's actual fuel pressure?

2-Have all fuses been checked, especially the fuel injector fuse?

Fuel spray from the test valve is a good sign but an actual pressure measurement is better. Spark is more difficult to test for but indirectly; spraying starting fluid into the throttle body and engine starting up can verify spark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
halo14

If I'm not mistaken the pressure was at or around 60psi.

I will check the fuel injector fuse & spraying starting fluid into the throttle to verify spark later this evening.

I'm also going to make a new key to make sure that isn't the problem.

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
soulbmx
soulbmx is on a distinguished road

Have you had it in for the recall 03065? It's for reprogramming the ECM. Could be a solution? May not be too.

03 Vue 2.2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulbmx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulbmx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
halo14

I had not heard of recall 03065, read up on it and makes sense. I've had the vehicle for about three years and this is the first time this comes up.

It seems that this issue might be resolved. I took your advice fdryer and checked the fuses, none were burned out, but I noticed that the Fuel Pump Relay was crooked and not properly seated. We took it off and tested it and could hear the click, so I put it back and the truck has been working fine for a couple of days now. I really hope this fixed it and I will update to let you guys know for sure. Thank you all for your help and generosity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
termite
termite will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Halo14, do you have an update on your intermittent starting problem, and which engine do you have?

It's GOOD to have a spare!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to termite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help termite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote