SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
dkldeb
dkldeb is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.4L
Default Gas Cap

What do I do now?

I replaced the gas cap with authentic part and still the engine light comes on. The original one the spring had sprung. New one works fine but the light went off for a day and came back on. Now what? Thanks in advance...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dkldeb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dkldeb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dkldeb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
gregreitz1123
gregreitz1123 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
2007 RELAY-2
Default Re: Gas Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkldeb View Post
What do I do now?

I replaced the gas cap with authentic part and still the engine light comes on. The original one the spring had sprung. New one works fine but the light went off for a day and came back on. Now what? Thanks in advance...
In your fuse box look for the pcm1 fuse pull out for couple minutes this will reset your engine light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregreitz1123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregreitz1123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregreitz1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
What do I do now?

Which light is it? There's one with the outline of an engine (Service Engine Soon) and one that's an outline of a car with a wrench inside (Service Vehicle Soon).

Did you replace the gas cap because it was worn out?

Did you get the new cap from a GM dealer? They should have asked you if the flap inside the fill opening is metal or plastic.

I replaced the one on my '04 because it wasn't clicking anymore (no lights). I bought one from Autozone. Both lights started coming on the next day. After buying one from a GM dealer, both lights eventually went out, and they haven't been back on since. The code was P0455 - large evaporative leak. The Service Vehicle Soon light can only be read by an advanced code reader, such as the GM Tech II at a dealer.

You might find some useful information in this thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178769

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

Last edited by RedGeminiPA; 05-02-2012 at 06:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
What do I do now?

Make sure the its the check-engine-light (see post # 2).

You can also click on thumbnails below to see how many GM vehicles were suffering from gas-cap problems between 2005 and 2008.

I find no evidence GM documented resolving the problem but RedGeminiPA has first-hand knowledge regarding the fill flap material.

The GM replacement cap is best way to go but if you've tried - and still have an EVAP code - you may have a split hose or perhaps a bad vent or purge valve.

The words no one wants to hear - the dealer has the tool to determine which code(s) is / are being set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Cap # 1.jpg (116.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Cap # 2.jpg (126.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Cap # 3.jpg (140.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Cap # 4.jpg (104.8 KB, 11 views)

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

I'm not sure if there's a difference, but inside the original cap on my '05 is white, and the replacement from the dealer on my '04 is black. They look be be about the same design, except the tether strap is different.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote