SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
marrika
marrika is on a distinguished road

Default Power Steering failure/recall & rattling steering

I am sure this has been talked about on here many times since I can find numerous issue on 2007 Ions and the Power Steering issue: light goes on, power steering is gone, turn off car, turn back on then all is good until it happens again. I am dropping my car off at a GM dealer this afternoon and I know this will be covered under my warrant but I am seeing people post things about a recall. I do not ever remember getting a notice nor did the dealer tell me there was one when I mentioned the problem. I has also called Saturn Customer Service and they did not mention it either. Was there one and if so do you know where I might be able to get a hold of the information so I can take it with me to the dealer just in case they try to tell me it isn't under warranty or don't mention the recall?

Also, I noticed there were threads on here concerning the shaking that the steering wheel does when braking. Has anyone mentioned this to the dealer and it has been covered under warranty. I guess I always assumed it was a braking issue but now I am not so sure after people suggesting it might be the steering column. If this is something they can fix under the warranty then I want to mention that to them as well this afternoon. Thanks all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marrika's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marrika reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marrika is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Power Steering failure/recall & rattling steering

There was no recall, there is no recall on the ION.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
amok
amok is on a distinguished road

There is an extended warranty which I think goes to 10 years or 100,000 miles but no formal recall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the extended warranty only covers the first issue you mentioned. shaking in the wheel under braking is usually warped brake rotors, or possibly a failing intermediate shaft

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
greenbeer
greenbeer is on a distinguished road

Federal investigators are looking into numerous vehicle defect complaints about the 2007 Saturn Ion, involving electric power steering failures. According to a news report in the New York Times, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) received more than 600 complaints relating to the 2007 Saturn Ion. The federal auto safety agency is now investigating whether General Motors should have recalled about 384,000 Saturn Ion coupes and sedans as part of a larger recall earlier this year. In March, GM recalled more than a million 2005-2010 Chevy Cobalt vehicles and 2007-2010 Pontiac G5 vehicles due to similar power steering problems.

google "saturn ion steering recall"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenbeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenbeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
DigitalSaturns

greenbeer: Still no recall, and they were looking into all IONs

Special Coverage Adjustment Power Steering Assist Bulletin 10187 July 2010

MODELS: 2004-2007 Saturn ION

CONDITION
Some customers of 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles, equipped with electric power steering, may experience a sudden loss of power steering assist, which could occur at any time while driving the vehicle. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Message Center will display a "PWR STR" warning message. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped. Typically, the next time the vehicle is started, the power steering assist will return and the "PWR STR" message would no longer be displayed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Retailers are to replace the power steering motor. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 21, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 21, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
Involved are certain 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles equipped with electric power steering and built within the following VIN breakpoints:
Year Division Model From Through
2004 Saturn ION 4Z100001 4Z232317
2005 Saturn ION 5Z100001 5Z183690
2006 Saturn ION 6Z100001 6Z211250
2007 Saturn ION 7Z100001 7Z210512

My car was repaired before this came out, no problems since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
greenbeer
greenbeer is on a distinguished road

Digital, I understand your point.

I, too, had this service performed on my '04. They wanted to charge me full boat until I pointed out the bulletin. Shame on them, but not unexpected.

It may not be called a "recall", but when the dealer fixes it for free because of a "technical/special service bulletin", then it's a recall.

Bottom line, the dealer fixes for free, customer does not pay.

They can call it whatever they want.

I wonder how many people were suckered in for a customer pay?

I call that immoral and unethical.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenbeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenbeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
DigitalSaturns

My point, I'm not sure what you thought my point was. Warrenty is extended to ten years or 100,000 miles on the power steering. After that your on your oun. My Saturn dealer didn't charge me a penny for the repair. Dealerships want like to make money. So if they can do a repair GM is paying for they will go out of thier way to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

it's not a recall until it's mandated by the government.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote