SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
JungleKing07
JungleKing07 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default 1998 SL2 OEM Foglight Install with pics!

Okay, I would like to thank Petdmc for posting his instructions on how to install foglights. It gave me the stepping stones to do it myself and then update the instructions by making them more descriptive and with some pictures and a video I created(assuming the forum will allow me to insert a link which at this point probably not). Keep a look out on YouTube for ď1998 Saturn SL2 OEM Foglight installĒ

Okay, here we go:

Parts:
OEM foglight switch board and button
pair - foglight brackets
pair - light housings
1 - 87a relay
1 - 15amp fuse
6 - Junction box connectors
Necessary wiring and connectors
880 bulbs x2

Tools:
1/4" ratchet
10mm socket
13mm socket
7 or 8mm socket
Wire cutters
Phillips and flat head screw drivers
Any other tool necessary to move things out of the way.

I found everything I needed at the junkyard for 20$. Depending on your Junkyard, it may be more or less. The bulbs I got from OíReilly Auto Parts.

Wanted to point this out because it happened to me. I pulled everything from a 1999 SL2. However, the 1999 SL2 foglight bracket for the driver side is not compatible with a 1998 SL2. The passenger side lines up but for some reason the driver side bracket does not let the light housing line up with the hole in the bumper. Itís rigged for now until I can locate one. Everything else worked just fine. Try to find the correct year and go from there. I would really say the main purpose of this is the wiring.

Switch install:
1. Pop out the plastic rivets on the center dash and remove the plastic cover. The switch panel should be attached to that cover.
2. Remove the switch and disconnect from wire harness.
3. You can either install the new switch panel or in my case, I swapped the old board from mine. And carefully removed the plastic button from the junkyard one and installed it onto the panel that came from my car. See picture.
4. Put everything back together and switch is done.

Wiring:

1. Remove battery, battery bracket, and the air filter housing so you have more room to work. This also means the battery is disconnected so you won't be able to electrocute yourself or short anything out.

2. Disconnect the positive lead to the underhood junction box (UHJB).

3. Unbolt the junction box from the frame. There are 2 10mm bolts holding it in place.

4. Remove cover to the UHJB and unscrew the second 2 10mm bolts holding the pin cover in place.

5. Remove the fuses. I took a picture of the fuse setup so I knew where they needed to be returned to. Every box is different depending on the accessories already installed.

6. Remove this second cover that is covering the fuse connectors.

7. Install the 6 junction box connectors on the posts indicated in the photo.

8. Reinstall pin cover and flip the junction box over. You will need to pop open the bottom to reveal the wiring harness.

9. The grey wire harness is the one to remove. It is held in by either a 7mm or 8mm bolt.

10. Remove the top blue locking pin and insert the two foglight wires (Purple) as indicated in the photo. Then reinstall the blue locking pin.
11. Remove the bottom locking pin and insert the ground lead (black) for the driver side as indicated in the photo. Reinstall blue locking pin.
12. Bolt the grey harness back to UHJB, close the bottom cover and turn upright. Then bolt back to the frame, install all the fuses and screw fuse cover back on.

13. Iím assuming everyone has removed the wiring from the junkyard car and brought it with them. the wiring was removed intact with the bulb plugs still attached to the wires. Take the drive side plug and drop it through the hole in front of the UHJB. The passenger side one you will need to snake in front of the radiator and drop it through a hole near the headlight. If you want to be thorough the wires are supposed to go between the radiator and the frame following the wire bundle. That takes a bit more work to follow the wire bundle that way.

14. Take the ground lead for the passenger side light and connect it to the grounding hub which it located in front of the washer fluid reservoir. Unscrew it from the frame. Pop out the white locking pin, pop the connector into any open slot and reinstall to frame.

Brackets:

1. Remove the foglight dummy cover.

2. I installed the passenger side first. There are two bolts with 13mm nuts already on them. Remove these and line the bracket holes with the protruding bolts and tighten the nuts over the bracket. That simple.

3. Do the same thing with the driver side. I had trouble with this one as noted earlier. Make sure they are for the correct year you are working on.

Once brackets are installed, and all necessary bulbs installed and plugged in go and test them out.
Hope this helps.

I'm hoping the photos will upload. If they don't have patience as I am trying to figure this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dashboard switch boards..jpg (90.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Junction box.jpg (67.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg foglight fuse&relay connector locations.jpg (64.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Foglight wires - Purple.JPG (133.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Driver side ground wire location.JPG (95.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg New Foglights.jpg (35.0 KB, 108 views)

2002 SL2 - Current 166200
1998 SL2 - R.I.P. 190176 Mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JungleKing07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JungleKing07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JungleKing07 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
JungleKing07

2002 SL2
Default Re: 1998 SL2 OEM Foglight Install with pics!

Here are a few more pictures. the left and right brackets installed. you can see in the left (driver side) bracket, I had to leave it off the bolt so it would be in line with the hole. Still in the search for one.

Another picture is of the wired. may look jumbled but one set drops down through a hole in front of the junction box while the other follows the frame in front of the radiator and drops down through a hole somewhere behind the headlight. the last is a pic of the ground connector that you should stick the right side ground wire to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0794.jpg (80.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0796.jpg (90.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0801.jpg (182.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0799.jpg (99.1 KB, 73 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JungleKing07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

To see the video on youtube. go to the main page and then after it loads. insert the rest of the link below after youtube.com. Still won't allow me to add url's yet since I have not hit 15 posts.

/watch?v=Fn8-tzTo8Ck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

gonna give this a bump. anybody having problems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn8-tzTo8Ck

Hopefully that works for you. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I might do this eventually, just really busy at the moment

edit: yep, link works. didn't watch the whole thing yet (at work) but the first few seconds look really professional I'll probably download it at home and watch later

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
ObelixDeGaul
ObelixDeGaul is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1996 SL2

Excellent how to. Thank you. I will do it one of these days. The JYs here seem to want an arm and a leg for any saturn stuff, so I am waiting to see if I can find something reasonable.

Obelix DeGaul
1996 SL2 Manual
1996 SL2 Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ObelixDeGaul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ObelixDeGaul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ObelixDeGaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

Its been a while but I am still looking for the correct brackets. everything is working just fine except the driver side light annoys me cause it is not pointing straight due to the jerry-rigging.

If anyone has a set of them I will gladly take them off your hands. If they have the light housings too that will be even better since the set I have are kinda oxidized and not very effective.

Thought I had some lined up but I can't seem to get ahold of the individual now. If you see this I'm still interested.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
caveeagle
caveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nice

1999 SL1
2002 SL1

I am planning to add factory fog lights to my '02 SL1. I already have a good fog light switch and the entire front light harness. So far I have not found a good set of 3rd gen SL Light housings and brackets.

It looks like pretty much the same job for the 3rd gen cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
caveeagle
caveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nice

1999 SL1
2002 SL1

Good job on the write up and video. My only comment is that you seemed to start the video coverage about 1/3 of the way into the project. I think you have lost some folks back at the starting gate. I have already started this job by pulling a front wiring harness and switch from a doner car, so it made pretty good sense to me.

Also, I was planning on replacing the entire front harness. Since the front harness I found was in really good shape, and seems to be pretty easy to remove. I also prefer to have all the wiring contained within the factory wraping. I just need to confirm that all the wiring plugs line up correctly vs my original harness junction block. I am pretty sure that everything will line up, but I know I need to make sure that they are the same within the same Gen3 application.

Also, the Gen3 dash switch may even be an easier conversion. It all seems to be plug and play.

Thanks!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
I am planning to add factory fog lights to my '02 SL1. I already have a good fog light switch and the entire front light harness. So far I have not found a good set of 3rd gen SL Light housings and brackets.

It looks like pretty much the same job for the 3rd gen cars.
They are very rare, I rarely see any 3rd gens with foglights at all (aside from SC2's)

1996 SL2 5MT. 239KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
caveeagle

1999 SL1
2002 SL1

Quote:
They are very rare, I rarely see any 3rd gens with foglights at all (aside from SC2's)
Yea, the 3rd gen harness I got was from an '02-SC2. I wish I had at least grabbed to brackets. That way I could at least hacked in some aftermarket lights into the block-off plugs.

I have seen a couple 3rd gen cars that were already stripped clean. I will keep looking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

I don't know when the cutoff would be where this tutorial would help cause i think when they switched to the Ecotec engine everything changed.

For finding what you need,that always seems to be the case when I hit the yards, or there are never any 98s in the yards when I look. I turned to the internet but its just as hard. I'm hoping someone sees this and when they go around their local junkyard, would be looking too, cause it helps us that are looking and they could possibly make money. especially since Saturn parts are becoming harder to locate.

good luck in your search.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

Kinda did start filming a little after I had started. I'm guessing most wanted to see how the dash button was installed. It truly is just a plug and play. If you can get that center dash cover off you are pretty much golden. I had pulled it off the night before and installed the button just to make sure it at least lit up. With mine I went a little overboard and pulled the switch hosing apart and exchanged the boards. mainly wanting to keep as many original to my car parts as possible. I was also wanting to remove the TRAC button from the middle and replace it with a dummy button since my car does not have traction control.

sorry about leaving that out. I figured that was going to be the easy part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

Update:

Went to the salvage yard today and to my amazement there was a 97 SL2 with all the brackets and the switch still there. I have a 98 but I still wanted to give these brackets a try since I did not have much luck with the driver side bracket from a 99. They worked! Now I'm done with the OEM part... anybody have ideas for aftermarket lights? This time with the lamp housing on the other side of the bumper?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Just want to thank you JungleKing07 for this thread as well as your video. I went to the junk yard yesterday and today and was able to obtain everthing for about $40.00 including 2 switches, a door panel as well as a book for the car. Every step was percise and it only took me 2 hours from start to finish. Luckly my car already had the fuse and relay installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
JungleKing07

2002 SL2

You are very welcome!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!