SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
therobinator
therobinator is on a distinguished road

Default O2 Sensor replaced, Service Engine Soon light back on....

I had my "In Line 4" O2 sensor replaced this week (that's what the mechanic said the Service Engine Soon code light was), and not even 10 miles later after driving the 2003 VUE away, the damn light came back on. Hubby suspects that now it's the other O2 sensor. My question is....how many are there? And if they were both bad, why didn't 2 codes show up on the code reader earlier this week? Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to therobinator's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help therobinator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
therobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: O2 Sensor replaced, Service Engine Soon light back on....

Do you know what the code is? Is your Vue the 2.2 4-cylinder or 3.0 V6?

Have you replaced the gas cap? They're known to be picky, and typically only one from a GM dealer will work without throwing codes.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Did the mechanic say "service engine soon light" or "check engine light"? Usually, "service engine soon" means change the motor oil while "check engine" means a trouble code has been set. I believe each O2 has it's own code # so the problem one can be correctly identified.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
therobinator

I appreciate your suggestions, but that doesn't actually answer my questions (which are general and don't really pertain to any particular vehicle). =(

To answer yours, I have the 4-cyl. My gas cap was replaced within the last year along with a solenoid valve, the last time the light came on, and that work was replaced at a dealership. My oil was also changed very recently (within the last 500 miles driven). It is a "Service Engine Soon" light -- the words, no pictures or symbols.

What I am trying to find out, generally, is how many O2 sensors my 2003 4-cyl VUE has, and if there was more than one issue causing the light to come on earlier this week (which apparently there was as evidenced by the fact that it's been "repaired" but now the light is back on), why did only one code show earlier this week, instead of both/all of them? Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help therobinator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by therobinator View Post
I appreciate your suggestions, but that doesn't actually answer my questions (which are general and don't really pertain to any particular vehicle). =(
Actually, your question does pertain to a particular drivetrain, which will answer how many yours has...

The 4-cylinder Vue should have 2 O2 sensors - pre-catalytic (in manifold) and post-catalytic (in exhaust pipe, after catalytic converter). The typical 4-cylinder only has 1 bank (manifold), meaning 1 sensor in the manifold and the other after the catalytic converter. They should each throw separate codes.

The '04-'07 Honda-V6-equipped Vues have 4 O2 sensors, for reference...

I would recommend getting the codes read again, preferably from anywhere other than Autozone. Ask what the code is, as this will be extremely helpful in troubleshooting.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
therobinator

Thank you. But why, if there were/are apparently more then one code being thrown, did only one show up earlier this week? Why woudln't both be read at the same time?

Autozone is not able to pull these codes. I tried them first, at the beginning of this investigation, and their reader said "no codes." They're those lovely GM proprietary codes. The reading of the codes that made us all decide to replace the first O2 censor was done by the mechanic, not AutoZone. I'd never rely on them. Lol.

Last edited by therobinator; 04-20-2012 at 10:10 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thank you. But why, if there were/are apparently more then one code being thrown, did only one show up earlier this week? Why woudln't both be read at the same time?

Autozone is not able to pull these codes. I tried them first, at the beginning of this investigation, and their reader said "no codes." They're those lovely GM proprietary codes.
It's a slim possibility that there was only 1 code present when it was read.

The scanners Autozone uses are notoriously lousy at pulling codes effectively. Some have reported Monroe pulling codes that Autozone can't. Advance Auto Parts seems to have scanners that effectively pull codes as well. Many decent-grade scanners can pull GM proprietary codes related to Service Engine Soon. Service Vehicle Soon lights can be another story. Typically only a GM Tech II tool can read those.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
therobinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
It's a slim possibility that there was only 1 code present when it was read.
Could you elaborate on that? How, why, etc? Muchos gracias!
I just don't understand, if there were more than one code showing, how the mechanic could have missed them all and only saw the one that he addressed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
djb383
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Ask the mechanic what specific code number(s) were read. How long has it been since the oil change "service engine soon" was re-set? That reminds me, I need to reset ours, as I just changed the oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
therobinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Ask the mechanic what specific code number(s) were read. How long has it been since the oil change "service engine soon" was re-set? That reminds me, I need to reset ours, as I just changed the oil.
The oil change light (a totally separate light from the Service Engine Soon) was reset when I got the oil changed...a couple of months/500 miles ago. The code that the mechanic pulled earlier this week was for the O2 sensor that he replaced. He is thinking that perhaps the new sensor he installed was a bad one, and he's going to replace it again for free if that's the case. The car is going back in on Monday to see what's up.

I just still don't understand how, if this is now a second/different code than we got earlier this week, how he missed it or why the reader didn't pick up both of them at the same time?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
The oil change light (a totally separate light from the Service Engine Soon) was reset when I got the oil changed...a couple of months/500 miles ago. The code that the mechanic pulled earlier this week was for the O2 sensor that he replaced. He is thinking that perhaps the new sensor he installed was a bad one, and he's going to replace it again for free if that's the case. The car is going back in on Monday to see what's up.

I just still don't understand how, if this is now a second/different code than we got earlier this week, how he missed it or why the reader didn't pick up both of them at the same time?
I'm glad you clarified the Change Oil Light

That isn't to be confused with the Service Engine Soon light. Two entirely different animals.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark that the new O2 sensor could be bad. It isn't impossible to buy new bad parts. I went through it with a TPS sensor for an Oldsmobile I had.

At this point, see what comes up when the codes are checked again. Make sure to get the code from your mechanic. Unless the code number is known, this is all shooting in the dark.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
therobinator

I'd like to try to rephrase my original question once more. I apologize if I haven't been clear.

Assuming the code that we will get next week is different than the code we got this week (i.e. the new O2 sensor isn't bad and that whatever other bad part it indicates was bad all along).....why wouldn't that second code have shown up this week when he originally read the codes? Do code readers only read/show one code at a time? Can't they read/show more multiple codes simultaneously?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
What I am trying to find out, generally, is how many O2 sensors my 2003 4-cyl VUE has, and if there was more than one issue causing the light to come on earlier this week (which apparently there was as evidenced by the fact that it's been "repaired" but now the light is back on), why did only one code show earlier this week, instead of both/all of them? Thanks!!
You have two O2 sensors. One before the cat and one after.

Check engine codes (CEL) are typically universal and should be easy to read by most code readers (ha).

The various control modules contain some very serious processing power. A typical malfunction would set many codes but the control module tries to begin with most probable cause. Other related codes will be either inhibited - or stored as pending codes.

An example - imagine there are possible codes for: (1) no fuel in tank, (2) fuel pump power loss, and (3) fuel pump mechanical failure.

Your engine dies while driving. The engine computer examines possibilities - notes zero fuel in tank - and sets that code as most probable, while inhibiting the other codes.

So, you put fuel in tank, crank engine, drive a few miles and the CEL lights once more. The next diagnostic reveals the fuel pump has mechanical damage (overheated by lack of fuel in tank).

See if you can get a list of the codes ... there's probably a logical explanation (hopefully, other than mechanic has flat wallet).

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
You have two O2 sensors. One before the cat and one after.

Check engine codes (CEL) are typically universal and should be easy to read by most code readers (ha).

The various control modules contain some very serious processing power. A typical malfunction would set many codes but the control module tries to begin with most probable cause. Other related codes will be either inhibited - or stored as pending codes.

An example - imagine there are possible codes for: (1) no fuel in tank, (2) fuel pump power loss, and (3) fuel pump mechanical failure.

Your engine dies while driving. The engine computer examines possibilities - notes zero fuel in tank - and sets that code as most probable, while inhibiting the other codes.

So, you put fuel in tank, crank engine, drive a few miles and the CEL lights once more. The next diagnostic reveals the fuel pump has mechanical damage (overheated by lack of fuel in tank).

See if you can get a list of the codes ... there's probably a logical explanation (hopefully, other than mechanic has flat wallet).
Great analogy! These vehiculars are a little more complex at times than one would think.

This also goes back to the effectiveness of the code scanner used. I'm going to assume a low-end scanner may only display active codes, while overlooking pending and past stored codes. Not that there was only one code, but it wasn't listed by the car's computer as a priority - most probable cause - code. Therefore, not being displayed until the most probable cause code was cleared, and then being seen as a fixed issue, this will allow the next most probable cause code to show up.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
therobinator

Thank you, I think I get it now. So, essentially, unless I am at a GM dealer and they have the highest quality of code readers, it will probably only show one code at a time, no matter how many are stored or pending, and that's all the mechanic can know at any one instance of plugging it in; he won't be able to see multiple codes simultaneously?

Last edited by therobinator; 04-20-2012 at 01:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
djb383
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Seems like there's been other posts stating multiple codes being displayed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thank you, I think I get it now. So, essentially, unless I am at a GM dealer and they have the highest quality of code readers, it will probably only show one code at a time, no matter how many are stored or pending, and that's all the mechanic can know at any one instance of plugging it in; he won't be able to see multiple codes simultaneously?
Not necessarily - many code readers will read all stored codes - if they're for separate systems. Say one code for engine misfire, another for engine rich, and another for O2 sensor heat circuit fail.

In your case if you had one O2 sensor with code the ECM could have masked other O2 codes until first problem was resolved.

Seriously - I'm not trying to scare or impress but see the attached list of possible oxygen sensor codes - not all apply to your Vue (thankfully) and this is not the complete list!

P0130 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Closed Loop (CL) Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1
 P0131 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
 P0132 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
 P0133 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1
 P0134 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1
 P0135 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1
 P0136 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2
 P0137 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
 P0138 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
 P0139 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2
 P0140 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2
 P0141 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2
 P0142 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 3
 P0143 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 3
 P0144 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 3
 P0145 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 Slow Response
 P0146 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 3
 P0147 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3
 P0150 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Closed Loop (CL) Performance Bank
2 Sensor 1
 P0151 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
 P0152 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
 P0153 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 1
 P0154 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0155 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1
 P0156 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2
 P0157 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
 P0158 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
 P0159 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 2
 P0160 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 2
 P0161 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2
 P0162 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3
 P0163 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3 Low Voltage
 P0164 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3 High Voltage
 P0165 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3 Slow Response
 P0166 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3 No Activity Detected
 P0167 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
rond
rond is on a distinguished road

If it was the rear sensor that was replaced then the problem is likely a failing catalatic converter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rond's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rond reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
mlc5
mlc5 is on a distinguished road

it could simply be a case of the mechanic replacing the incorrect sensor, and manually clearing the code after the install... prompting the code to reappears shortly later.

Good Luck , Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlc5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlc5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
therobinator

An update for those who were/are following this thread:

We brought the VUE back to the mechanic, and he read the codes again (of course on the way to the mechanic, the darn light turned OFF - isn't that always the way). Anyways, what we hoped would happen (getting the same code meaning the new O2 sensor that he installed was defective), didn't happen. What he got was a new/different code, indicating the car was running rich. So, he replaced some (what he called “gunked-up”) spark plugs and put some injector cleaner in the gas tank....all for free.

Well, after driving the car for no more than 35 miles since this second repair, the light is now back on AGAIN, for a third time. Ugh!

We are going on a long trip this weekend (hundreds of miles) so we're hoping that the computer just needs to reset or something. Another idea that just crossed my mind though as I typed about the injector cleaner is that the gas tank is just about empty right now (as it was when and since the mechanic last had it)....I wonder if now the car might be running lean (in other words, too high of an injector cleaner/gas ratio), and simply filling the tank -- which we will be doing this afternoon -- will solve it? Also note that when Hubby started the car this morning, he said it idled a little rough and the rpms jumped up and down slightly (which does not usually happen) also indicating to me that it might be running lean. This went away after just a few seconds, though, when he gave it some gas.

But in any case, if it's not all clear and the light gone by the time we get back on Sunday, it will be going back to the mechanic again.....because the month will then be over and my stupid inspection sticker will be expiring. We've got to get to the bottom of this.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited by therobinator; 04-27-2012 at 12:52 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!