SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Wessthekid
Wessthekid is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default 2003 Saturn Ion-3 Air Conditioning Problems

Recently, my check engine light came on, and when I took it to get the code checked, they said that it was a vacuum leak. The mechanics told me that I could check the lines because there was only 1 or 2, and that I could probably fix it myself. However, I never got around to fixing it, and the light went off about 2 weeks later....

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this, but... About a week after my check engine light went off, my air conditioning stopped blowing hard... I can turn it from 0 to 1, 2, or 3 and nothing happens. When I turn it to 4, however, it blows like its only on 1... I am still getting hot and cold air (whichever I happen to choose), but it is blowing out of the vents very VERY slowly, and only at the ONE speed when the knob is set to 4!

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? I checked the fuses that had the label "A/C" on them (all were okay), but have yet to check the relay. I am actually not sure how to check the relay. Could that be the problem or is there another one that I haven't mentioned?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wessthekid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wessthekid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wessthekid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Ion-3 Air Conditioning Problems

1. fix the vacuum leak, you only have one hose, but need to check everything between the throttlebody and the engine.

2. that has nothing to do with your air conditioning, your blower fan resistor pack or control panel are probably bad.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Wessthekid

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Ok, will check to see if the hose needs replaced. Like I said, the check engine light went off and hasn't come back on since. I've had no acceleration problems and no obscenely loud noises that suggest there is an exhaust leak either (one of my friends told me vacuum leaks can sometimes relate to exhaust leaks?).

For the blower fan resistor pack and control panel, would the Hayne's manual cover how to replace those or should I leave that to a dealer/mechanic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Wessthekid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The resistor pack is plug and play. The control panel can be tricky, and three manual well cover neither of these.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Striker317
Striker317 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wessthekid View Post
Recently, my check engine light came on, and when I took it to get the code checked, they said that it was a vacuum leak. The mechanics told me that I could check the lines because there was only 1 or 2, and that I could probably fix it myself. However, I never got around to fixing it, and the light went off about 2 weeks later....

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this, but... About a week after my check engine light went off, my air conditioning stopped blowing hard... I can turn it from 0 to 1, 2, or 3 and nothing happens. When I turn it to 4, however, it blows like its only on 1... I am still getting hot and cold air (whichever I happen to choose), but it is blowing out of the vents very VERY slowly, and only at the ONE speed when the knob is set to 4!

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? I checked the fuses that had the label "A/C" on them (all were okay), but have yet to check the relay. I am actually not sure how to check the relay. Could that be the problem or is there another one that I haven't mentioned?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
See if this solves your issue. It fixed my issue. replace the xxx with www

xxx.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156964

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Striker317's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Striker317 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Striker317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Wessthekid

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I have determined (whether or not it is accurate) and agreed with 2006 ion2, that the problem with my air conditioning is the control board. The resistor seems to be working fine, and through all of my research have learned: if it's the RESISTOR, then you will ONLY have level 4 speed, but if it's the HVAC Board, you will only have level 1 engaged when it is ON level 4...

Anyone have a step-by-step process (possibly with pictures) with removing and installing this board, or should I just go buy/pull the part from a yard and leave the work to the experienced men?

EDIT: I have already tried (and failed) to follow the one in this posting...
xxx.saturnfans.com/~saturnfa/forums/showthread.php?t=156964

Thanks again for all of the input, especially 2006 ion2. Helped with where I should start. And thanks Striker, but I had already found that article RIGHT before I read your post! You just confirmed what I already thought was true.. lol

Last edited by Wessthekid; 06-11-2012 at 08:48 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you're welcome. this is one of "those parts" I consider a wear item, since they go bad fairly often on ions, I would buy a new control head and install it myself to offset the cost difference. you literally just remove the whole control head and replace it. don't worry about separating the board from the control head.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!