SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
therobinator
therobinator is on a distinguished road

Default Bad wheel bearings - symptoms and diagnosis

I dropped my 2003 VUE off this morning at a highly recommended and supposedly very trustworthy mechanic, for a few symptoms. First was a Service Engine Soon light which turns out to be an oxygen sensor. Second is brakes that need replacing anyways. But most majorly are these: (1) When traveling at highway speeds, there is a whirring/buzzing noise which disappears when the steering wheel gets turns to the right. (2) There is also a loud rattling/shaking noise coming from the steering column….this happens only when braking (especially at highway speeds for example coming off an exit ramp), or when driving (without braking) on a bumpy street.

The mechanic says the problem is bad wheel bearings. It makes sense to me that the whirring/buzzing noise could be bad wheel bearings, but I don’t understand how bad wheel bearings could or would cause the rattling/shaking in the steering column while braking or while cruising on a bumpy street. Can anyone explain this to me? Also, if the noise disappears when turning to the right, that means the left bearing is the bad one, correct?....so, why would I bother replacing both? Finally, he wants to charge me $1,200 to do all the repairs….brakes, oxygen sensor, and wheel bearings….is this reasonable (I am in the Boston area)?

Thank you!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to therobinator's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help therobinator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
therobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Bad wheel bearings - symptoms and diagnosis

The shaking in the steering wheel when braking is most likely warped or rust pitted rotors. Hopefully when he changes your brakes he puts new rotors on. The noise you hear when slightly turning the wheel is most likely a wheel bearing going.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by therobinator View Post
I dropped my 2003 VUE off this morning at a highly recommended and supposedly very trustworthy mechanic, for a few symptoms. First was a Service Engine Soon light which turns out to be an oxygen sensor. Second is brakes that need replacing anyways. But most majorly are these: (1) When traveling at highway speeds, there is a whirring/buzzing noise which disappears when the steering wheel gets turns to the right. (2) There is also a loud rattling/shaking noise coming from the steering column….this happens only when braking (especially at highway speeds for example coming off an exit ramp), or when driving (without braking) on a bumpy street.

The mechanic says the problem is bad wheel bearings. It makes sense to me that the whirring/buzzing noise could be bad wheel bearings, but I don’t understand how bad wheel bearings could or would cause the rattling/shaking in the steering column while braking or while cruising on a bumpy street. Can anyone explain this to me? Also, if the noise disappears when turning to the right, that means the left bearing is the bad one, correct?....so, why would I bother replacing both? Finally, he wants to charge me $1,200 to do all the repairs….brakes, oxygen sensor, and wheel bearings….is this reasonable (I am in the Boston area)?

Thank you!!!

Brakes-($80)- you can get at Autozone for about $30 each rotor, and $20 for a set of pads, my ceramic pads were $15 on ebay.

Bearings-($100) whether on ebay or at Autozone, they run about $50 for each one. Typically when you replace something on one side of your axle, you replace both sides. Would you only replace one rotor or pads if only one side squealed?

Oxygen sensor- about $80 at Autozone

Less than $300 worth of parts and they want to charge you $900 more for labor????

I'm a chick and I did all these jobs already on my Vue! Well, with a little help from my husband getting the hubs off.

The mechanic sounds right in the diagnosing of everything. As for the cost to fix, either get a quote from another place, or do it yourself. You can even obtain the parts for them so you don't get the "markup" on parts from them too.

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
therobinator

I don't know, I am no expert, but according to AutoZone.com (having typed in my year, make and model), the wheel bearing/assemblies are a minumum of $162 each for my VUE. Rotors are $40 each, oxygen sensor $68 at minimum, brake pads $20. That puts me at a minimum of $492 for parts alone, assuming he's only replacing the front bearings and buying the minimum quality products. It would be more if he goes for higher quality brake pads or O2 sensor. I think where you and I are differing in our calculations is on the bearings. According to AutoZone, I couldn't buy *just* the bearings, I'd have to buy the whole assembly. And maybe the prices are different by area (the website asked for my zip code before it would show prices). Perhaps those are the differences. It's still over $700 in labor, though....and I will of course expect an itemized bill, and I will deal with him sternly if things seem off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help therobinator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
mdbuilder
mdbuilder is on a distinguished road

Seems fairly reasonable to me, I seem to remember my first brake job @ 125K miles was 600ish for all 4 corners. I had a wheel bearing melt down which cost what your estimate is all by itself but that bearing was litterally fused in place, parts had to be torched off the car to change it

Don't let that bearing go too long

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdbuilder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdbuilder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
therobinator

It's all fixed now. Thanks all for your advice. The problem now is that the Service Engine Soon light came back on. New thread post about that in a minute....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
mdbuilder
mdbuilder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by therobinator View Post
It's all fixed now. Thanks all for your advice. The problem now is that the Service Engine Soon light came back on. New thread post about that in a minute....
Check that the gas cap is tight, loose cap will set off the light. It'll take a few days to go out after tightening.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdbuilder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdbuilder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote