SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
psionicsin
psionicsin is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Question Giving my 03 Ion-1 Power Windows and Locks?

Hey guys, how's it going?

New here. Stumbled across this site while searching for ways to refresh/renew my old '03 Saturn Ion. There are so many questions I have to ask, but I'll try and take it one at a time lol.

Currently I have an Ion-1 sedan, and it's killing me because I do not have power windows or locks. Now I've been looking on eBay and have found many Ion inner door panels for use with power window electronics, as well as the control panel. I've also found the electronic regulators on there as well.

Now my question is this...is it possible for me, with the new panel, controls and regulators, to give all of my doors power windows and locks?

And if it is possible, what would be my first steps on going about this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to psionicsin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help psionicsin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
psionicsin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Giving my 03 Ion-1 Power Windows and Locks?

the OEM power locks and rke are run through the BCM, and to work OEM power locks, rke, and windows would require an entire interior wiring harness, BCM reprogram, and a lot of parts, iirc.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
psionicsin

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
the OEM power locks and rke are run through the BCM, and to work OEM power locks, rke, and windows would require an entire interior wiring harness, BCM reprogram, and a lot of parts, iirc.
So pretty much don't bother is what you're saying?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help psionicsin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

exactly

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
psionicsin

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
exactly
Gotcha. And thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
psionicsin

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Ok 2006 ion2:

I was searching on CL and found an 05 saturn that has been wrecked on the front end. However all 4 doors, as well at the trunk are intact and...have functional power windows and locks.

If I retrieved these items from the car...what else would I be looking to snatch out of it as well for this mod to work correctly? Hopefully you can provide me with a list of everything I'd need from it.

And also, what's this part of the car called that I highlighted in the photo attached?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5O65G95F53M43L73F6c44da8235d46e991d91.jpeg (74.8 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the roof rails.

not sure that an 05 would work on an 03, they changed a lot that year.

you would need at least: interior wiring harness (it may have separate sections for the doors, but afaik, the whole thing needs to be replaced), doors (everything inside, but since you have a donor car, just use the new doors), trunk, dash (assuming your car lacks the dash mounted trunk button or a spot for it), bcm, trunk lid or all the internals if there are the mounting holes for the electrical components. you'll probably also need the BCM, and I may be missing some other things.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
psionicsin

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
the roof rails.

not sure that an 05 would work on an 03, they changed a lot that year.

you would need at least: interior wiring harness (it may have separate sections for the doors, but afaik, the whole thing needs to be replaced), doors (everything inside, but since you have a donor car, just use the new doors), trunk, dash (assuming your car lacks the dash mounted trunk button or a spot for it), bcm, trunk lid or all the internals if there are the mounting holes for the electrical components. you'll probably also need the BCM, and I may be missing some other things.
Ok before you posted, I called and asked the price for all of these parts:

1) All 4 doors with all internal components
2) The entire trunk lid with all internal components

My dash does have the trunk button, however the button doesn't work. Never has.

Now my next 2 questions:

What exactly is a BCM, where is it located, and how can I identify it?
What exactly is an interior wiring harness, where is it located, and how can I identify it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you may have a fuse blown, or other issues, then.

the BCM is the Body Control Module. it controls all vehicle functions besides the engine and transmission (including, but not limited to vehicle starting, security system, all lights, all power functions). it's in the center console behind the passenger side kick panel.

the whole inside of the car's wiring, it's everywhere inside of the vehicle. you'll probably also need the interior fuse panel, which is in the center console behind the driver's kick panel.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
psionicsin

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Called the dealer and they said that all Ions between 2003-2007 have the same door fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the doors aren't the issue. the electronics are. specifically the bcm and how it interfaces with the ecm, tcm, and ip

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
psionicsin

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
you may have a fuse blown, or other issues, then.

the BCM is the Body Control Module. it controls all vehicle functions besides the engine and transmission (including, but not limited to vehicle starting, security system, all lights, all power functions). it's in the center console behind the passenger side kick panel.

the whole inside of the car's wiring, it's everywhere inside of the vehicle. you'll probably also need the interior fuse panel, which is in the center console behind the driver's kick panel.
Is the BCM something only Ions with power windows/locks have? Or is it something that I have as well? Also would it make sense for me to grab the ECM, TCM, and IP from that car, or am I good with my own?

Where and what are the ECM, TCM, and IP?

And which fuse box controls the trunk release? Should I nab that cars fuse boxes also, and are they easy to remove?

BTW: I know these are lots of questions and I'm sorry lol. Better for me to ask a ton of them now, then be screwed in the future lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
the BCM is the Body Control Module. it controls all vehicle functions besides the engine and transmission (including, but not limited to vehicle starting, security system, all lights, all power functions).

Engine Control Module, Transmission Control Module, Instrument Panel

you can't put the ones from an 05 into an 03.

I don't know what fuse it is, I don't have an 03, you do. look in your owner's manual or on the fuse panel cover to see what fuse is what.

you will need the in car fuse panel.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
psionicsin

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Thanks again for your help. Waiting for a call back form these guys.

If I have any more question I'll let you know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!