SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
atakordie
atakordie is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default Fixed knocking front suspension noise.

Just an FYI post for anyone searching this issue...

2004 Saturn Ion 3 sedan with AF23 auto tranny at ~100,000 miles. Noise began a year ago or so, and it was evident that it was tied to suspension in some way, as there was a light "hammer tap" thump coming from front of vehicle when going over a bump...rather irritating. Some have said it was the sway bar links on each end, but I had a sway link noise in my other car, which I fixed by tightening the link mounting points. I could tell that the issue in this Ion was not sway bar link related because with the suspension unloaded and hanging, I could not get a clunk out of either link, nor could I get any play. I had read that the sway bar bushings could go bad, so I started there since they are cheap.

Bushings are what the problem turned out to be, more or less. Here is a pic of the Ion bushing:

The old ones were a bit smooth from years of use, but no real huge visible difference. Where I think the true problem lies is in the bushing brackets themselves. Here is a picture of the bracket shape (albeit not the same, as these go on my other car) that clamps down over the bushing:

The pic above is beefier than the Ion's bracket, but more or less a congruent profile. As you can see, there is a bolt hole end and a tongue end. The tongue end fits into a groove on the Saturn Ion's subframe just below and behind the sway bar itself. I believe that the bushing gets compressed slightly, which allows a small amount of clearance between the top of the tongue on the bracket and the mating surface of the subframe. This clearance allows the bracket to hit the subframe when going over bumps or the chassis is twisted in some way and the sway bar flexes. That was the source of my noise. Perhaps there is a way to cushion the blow so that it isn't heard in the cabin, but you would probably lose some tightness in sway bar to subframe mounting. Putting a new bushing in is a tight fitment; it took me a lot of grunting and yelling to get those bracket bolted down. So if you have this problem, you may want to change your bushings. All you have to do is remove the front tires and reach back there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atakordie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atakordie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atakordie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
psionicsin
psionicsin is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Fixed knocking front suspension noise.

I find this utterly amazing as i was at Belle Tire yesterday and after making them check 3 times in a row...they could find not a thing wrong with my car. I then come home and login to this site and...what do you know....

Do you know where I can get the part? What's the actual name of it? And have you found a solution to dampening the sound?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to psionicsin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help psionicsin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
psionicsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
atakordie
atakordie is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionicsin View Post
I find this utterly amazing as i was at Belle Tire yesterday and after making them check 3 times in a row...they could find not a thing wrong with my car. I then come home and login to this site and...what do you know....

Do you know where I can get the part? What's the actual name of it? And have you found a solution to dampening the sound?
I got mine from here:

http://www.partswebsite.com/autopart...imagecallout=8

The bracket's connecting tongue cannot be seen from above or below the subframe with it installed, so if this is your problem, they probably weren't able to move the sway bar far enough or fast enough to get audible feedback for the noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atakordie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atakordie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atakordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
lilmandy357
lilmandy357 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I had this same issue about a year ago now, I took my car into Car X and they knew what the problem was right away, my bushing was cracked and they just replaced it, and I have had no problems since. The mechanic says he sees this all of the time in Saturns and Cobalts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilmandy357's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilmandy357 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilmandy357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
greenbeer
greenbeer is on a distinguished road

I replaced the sway bar bushings and the clunking noise is gone.
The old bushings didn't look that bad but clearly they had aged enough to allow the clamps to move in the slots creating the noise.
Thanks ATAKORDIE. You fixed my car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenbeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenbeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
SilverSpectre
SilverSpectre is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

I've been looking for aftermarket poly versions of these for YEARS. Anyone know if they exist?

2007 Saturn Ion 3 QC - "The Silver Spectre"
Resurrected 12/29/11

OZ Allegerita Wheels, FE5 Suspension w/ adjustable end links, Eibach Pro Kit, Progress Rear Sway Bar, TWM Short Shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverSpectre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverSpectre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpectre View Post
I've been looking for aftermarket poly versions of these for YEARS. Anyone know if they exist?
Me too aren't there any performance bushings out there? Don't we share the parts with the cobalt and the HHR?

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Not the hhr, it has a different suspension.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
SilverSpectre
SilverSpectre is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

I did find these from Moog:

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...MOOG%2DK200046

I take it that these are a bit better than OEM? I know that at least for the VUE, Moog makes much heftier end links.

2007 Saturn Ion 3 QC - "The Silver Spectre"
Resurrected 12/29/11

OZ Allegerita Wheels, FE5 Suspension w/ adjustable end links, Eibach Pro Kit, Progress Rear Sway Bar, TWM Short Shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverSpectre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverSpectre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #10
buckeyegirl
buckeyegirl is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

I replaced the bushings last week. It helped reduce some of the knocking sound. But there are still alot of knocking sounds coming from up front, especially when going slowly through a parking lot. Inspecting and replacing the control arm bushing is the next project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buckeyegirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buckeyegirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buckeyegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
saturn95
saturn95 has a spectacular aura aboutsaturn95 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Nice info!!!
I too, suspect that my bushings are bad. I had that light tapping noise and replace all 4 struts as well as bearings and mounts, and while the car drives much better the tapping noise is there.
When I had the sway bar disconnected from both struts, I moved the sway bar violently and it made the same noise!!! I just did not understand how those bushing could make that noise but you explained much better.

I went to auto zone to buy these and they have lots of sizes. Is there a way to know what size belongs to my 07 Ion 2 aside from measuring the diameter? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
greenbeer
greenbeer is on a distinguished road

Call a GM dealer with your VIN and they can tell you which size your car was manufactured with. I bought mine from the dealer. They weren't very expensive, about 8 bucks each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenbeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenbeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
I replaced the bushings last week. It helped reduce some of the knocking sound. But there are still alot of knocking sounds coming from up front, especially when going slowly through a parking lot. Inspecting and replacing the control arm bushing is the next project.
Replace the struts...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeer View Post
Call a GM dealer with your VIN and they can tell you which size your car was manufactured with. I bought mine from the dealer. They weren't very expensive, about 8 bucks each.
If you don't want to go through this again, replace with eurathane...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
NYB77
NYB77 is on a distinguished road

I also had noisy bushings in my 2005 Ion. I found out after changing the struts, mounts, control arm bushings, sway end links and....intermediate steering shaft (and still having the noise). Now, 3 months later, the intermediate steering shaft (that was replaced) is making noise.
What's really frustrating is that there was nothing wrong with the one that I changed.
Why does the Ion have so many front end noise possibilities (issues)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NYB77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NYB77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NYB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

every car has the same number of possibilities. the ion's usual issues are only the bushings and endlinks.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
ken99287
ken99287 is on a distinguished road

Great! One more rattle/knock to scratch off the long list of noises!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ken99287's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ken99287 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ken99287 is offline   Reply With Quote