SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
steven_1104235
steven_1104235 is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 v6 awd transmission replacement

So my transmission is making a loud noise out of the left side where the cv shaft goes in. I'm assuming its a bad bearing or the like, it otherwise drives fine I've been driving it for over a month like this. I got a quote from a reputable local transmission shop for $800 labor, plus the cost of the transmission to replace it. I've been looking in my shop manual, and it seems like a pretty straight foward process, just that it will take a good chunk of time to do it. I've searched the forum and can't find anything on anyone doing this, has anyone ever done this and if so can you give me your advice and any information about difficulties you had. I'm still in the deciding stage of whether to attempt it myself, it would save me $800, and seeing as how most trannys around here are running ~$600 it would definitely help. As far as my skill set, I've never replaced newer fwd transaxles, I've only dealt with rwd trans in older vehicles, and I have done the timing belt/water pump/ thermostat/ spark plug job on this car as well as countless other repairs like wheel bearings etc. Thanks in advance for your response!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steven_1104235's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steven_1104235 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steven_1104235 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is just really nicebluesl2 is just really nicebluesl2 is just really nicebluesl2 is just really nice

Default Re: 2002 v6 awd transmission replacement

Are you sure it's a noise in the trans or a bad wheel bearing? Wheel bearings go bad quite often in the vues. I would suspect that first over the trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
steven_1104235

yes, I replaced both wheel bearings because of this a month or so ago. After I did those and it still made noise, I put the entire car on jack stands and listened for noise, it was coming from the left of the car so I took that tire off. A friend gave the car some throttle, and I could clearly hear it from the bottom of the trans as well as from the wheel well side, I jammed my head in there good to make sure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help steven_1104235 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_1104235 View Post
yes, I replaced both wheel bearings because of this a month or so ago. After I did those and it still made noise, I put the entire car on jack stands and listened for noise, it was coming from the left of the car so I took that tire off. A friend gave the car some throttle, and I could clearly hear it from the bottom of the trans as well as from the wheel well side, I jammed my head in there good to make sure
What sort of noise? Whine - growl - clatter?

Whine or growl could be no fluid, low fluid, or wrong fluid.

Another member is exchanging a transmission for some reason - view the following thread and perhaps send a personal message to check progress:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178796

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
steven_1104235

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
What sort of noise? Whine - growl - clatter?

Whine or growl could be no fluid, low fluid, or wrong fluid.

Another member is exchanging a transmission for some reason - view the following thread and perhaps send a personal message to check progress:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178796
not really sure what you would classify this, it definitely isn't a whine. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so a video must be worth a million.
http://youtu.be/YcgMoiHF3DY
The first is while inside the car, the second view is when I had it up on jack stands. As far as fluid goes, I'll check the level but it engages and drives fine. I have changed the fluid three times, using valvoline Maxlife dex/merc ATF fluid as suggested on the forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I guess I'd call that a "rasp-type" noise when operating at lower RPM.

I don't see any wobble (movement) of the differential stub when axle was rotating.

Are you certain there's not a problem with the left front brake? Perhaps the dust shield is touching the rotor?

I believe I'd pull the axle and see if noise persists before buying another transmission.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote