SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
timega
timega is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Difficult to remove and fasten gas cap

I just bought a 2005 Saturn Vue, 2.2L, 4 cyl., manual transmission. I notice that the Check Engine Light is steady on (not flashing). I read the owner's manual and the first thing that came to my mind is gas cap because my gas cap is very difficult to remove and put it back on. When I try to remove the cap, I turned it counterclockwise slowly and it just clicks as I turn it. Usually it takes 5-10 mins to remove it by just keeping turning it. When I do remove it, and then put it back on, I can turn it all I want and it clicks, but never fastens tight. I just bought the car two days ago and don't know if it's supposed to fasten tight. Any advice and suggestions? Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timega's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timega reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timega is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Difficult to remove and fasten gas cap

They wear out. Get a new one from your local GM dealer for about $20. They should ask you if the flap inside the gas fill tube is metal or plastic. They're metal on both of my V6 Vues ('04 & '05).

DO NOT buy a universal from your local parts store! It's almost a guarantee your light will keep coming on if you use one of those.

Just spend the extra few dollars at the dealer. Oh, and it should have the tether strap on it, which aftermarket will not have.

Replacement from GM dealer:

Original:

Metal flap:

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

Last edited by RedGeminiPA; 03-28-2012 at 06:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
timega
timega is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Last night my Check Engine Light strangely went off though I didn't do anything. This morning I went to a local GM dealer and bought and put on the new gas cap. However, on my way to grocery store this afternoon the Check Engine Light is on again. I didn't feel power loss or any hesitation, everything looks good except the CEL is on. I used a Bluetooth code scanner from Amazon ($25) but it threw out "No Code stored in the ECU". I also went to Autozone but their scanner read "No Link". I guess the problem is not gas cap but something else. I think the next step might be go to local GM dealer and ask them check the code. Any suggestion? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timega's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timega reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by timega View Post
Last night my Check Engine Light strangely went off though I didn't do anything. This morning I went to a local GM dealer and bought and put on the new gas cap. However, on my way to grocery store this afternoon the Check Engine Light is on again. I didn't feel power loss or any hesitation, everything looks good except the CEL is on. I used a Bluetooth code scanner from Amazon ($25) but it threw out "No Code stored in the ECU". I also went to Autozone but their scanner read "No Link". I guess the problem is not gas cap but something else. I think the next step might be go to local GM dealer and ask them check the code. Any suggestion? Thanks!
If it seems to be running ok, I'd give it a couple days with the new cap. My Service Vehicle Soon light was coming on along with the Service Engine Soon light. After a couple days with the new cap, the lights have both stayed off.

Make sure which light is coming on: Service Vehicle Soon = outline of the Vue with a wrench in the middle = only really advanced readers like the GM Tech II at the dealer can read them. Service Engine Soon = outline of engine = run of the mill code scanners can read them.

My local dealers quoted me $50 - $80 just to read the codes. Hopefully you'll find a better dealer that won't charge so much to plug in a scanner for 2 minutes.

So, yeah... give it a few days with the new cap to see if they stop coming on. It'll take several start cycles to flush out the codes by itself.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by timega View Post
I just bought a 2005 Saturn Vue, 2.2L, 4 cyl., manual transmission. I notice that the Check Engine Light is steady on (not flashing). I read the owner's manual and the first thing that came to my mind is gas cap because my gas cap is very difficult to remove and put it back on. When I try to remove the cap, I turned it counterclockwise slowly and it just clicks as I turn it. Usually it takes 5-10 mins to remove it by just keeping turning it. When I do remove it, and then put it back on, I can turn it all I want and it clicks, but never fastens tight. I just bought the car two days ago and don't know if it's supposed to fasten tight. Any advice and suggestions? Thank you.
There is an extended warranty on the gas caps for 2004-2005 VUE. There is a notice about that.
Dealer should provide one at no charge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line
Post gas cap extended warranty

See full info less pictures (sorry, to lazy to post those)
You are suppose to be entitled to receive cash back for a defective cap.

10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 200,000 miles or km.

Subject: 07229 -- SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - FUEL TANK CAP

Models: 2004-05 Saturn VUE

Condition
Some customers of 2004-05 Saturn VUE model vehicles may experience a condition where the fuel tank cap won’t tighten properly, or the fuel tank cap won’t come off, or is broken. These conditions may also cause the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after October 29, 2007 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to October 29, 2007 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are all 2004-05 Saturn VUE vehicles and built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Saturn
VUE
4S800001
4S898178

Saturn
VUE
5S800001
5S870992

part number: 10372866
Cap, Fuel Tank

Service Procedure
Customers may inform technicians that the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) or Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on and/or the fuel cap cannot be tightened or removed.

Notice: The DTC diagnostic labor time for this Special Coverage covers evaporative code diagnosis related to defective fuel caps. Additional diagnostic time related to other problems (purge valve, fuel tank, etc.) are not covered by this Special Coverage and is the responsibility of the owner.

• If the SES light is illuminated, record the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) using the Tech 2.

• If the fuel cap cannot be tightened or removed, proceed to the section below titled, Replacing Broken Fuel Cap.

• If DTC P0442 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected is stored in the Engine Control Module (ECM), proceed to section titled DTC P0442.

• If DTC P0455 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected is stored in the ECM, proceed to section titled DTC P0455.

• Refer to the appropriate Service Information (SI) for additional Diagnostic Assistance.

• Some vehicles may intermittently set a DTC of P0442 or P0455, leak in the evaporative emissions system. In addition to checking the system and performing the diagnostics as described in the Service Information for this DTC, the technician should be aware that some of the fuel caps used on GM vehicles may not seal adequately to the filler neck if pushed down when being tightened. This may occur more often when this cap is used on a vehicle with a steel fuel filler neck. The owner should be instructed not to apply a downward force to the fuel cap when tightening

Replacing Broken Fuel Cap
Remove the fuel cap tether from the fuel filler pocket or fuel filler door.
Remove the fuel cap from the fuel filler.

If the fuel cap cannot be removed, remove the fuel cap ratcheting cover by releasing the four (4) tabs holding the cap cover to the lugged sealing base.

Position the radiator hose removal tool or similar type tool between the black cover and white inside body, and pry the cover over the retaining tab by rotating the tool counter clockwise. Repeat, if necessary, on the 3 other locations around the cover.

Remove the white fuel cap base from the filler pipe by rotating the fuel cap base counter clockwise.
Install the new fuel filler cap and secure the tether to the fuel filler pocket or filler door.
DTC P0455 - (Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected)
Diagnostic Aids: P0455 diagnostics is checking for a large leak in the EVAP system. Examples of conditions that may contribute to this code setting are: loose or broken fuel cap, disconnected or cracked EVAP lines, cracked charcoal canister, sticking purge or vent solenoids, inaccurate fuel gauge, etc.

DTC P0442 - (Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected)
Diagnostic Aids: P0442 diagnostics is checking for a 0.5mm (0.020 in) sized hole in the EVAP system. Examples of conditions which may cause this type leak could include: cracked EVAP lines, cracked charcoal canister, a cut or dirty fuel cap seal, debris on the purge or vent solenoid internal seals, loose fuel lines, etc. Refer to Fuel Cap Inspection for P0442.

Fuel Cap Inspection for P0442

Inspect the green sealing ring (1) on fuel cap for debris or cuts which could cause a small EVAP leak.

Inspect filler neck sealing surface (1) for gouges or dents produced by accident or fuel nozzle damage.
Diagnose P0442 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected DTC. Refer to DTC P0442 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected Diagnostics in the Diagnostics Information and Procedures Section of SI for the appropriate vehicle.
** Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to replace fuel tank cap.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada Only
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct this issue are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by November 30, 2008. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 200,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

• Proof of ownership at time of repair.

• Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.

Customer Reimbursement - For Saturn US Only
All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for this condition are handled by submitting a reimbursement claim form directly to Saturn retailers for processing; however, if customers choose, they may file a claim through the Saturn Customer Assistance Center.

A Saturn Customer Reimbursement Procedure and Claim Form are included with the customer letter.

Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Retailers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Saturn US retailers should refer to GM messenger bulletins SAG20060292/SAG20060295 for Courtesy Transportation guidelines. Saturn Canada retailers should refer to applicable Home Office letter on this subject.

November 2007
Dear Saturn Customer:

As the owner of a 2004-05 Saturn VUE, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2004-05 model year Saturn VUE vehicles may have a condition where the fuel tank cap won’t tighten properly, or the fuel tank cap won’t come off, or is broken. This condition may also cause the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).

Additionally, please be aware that the fuel cap may not seal adequately to the filler neck if pushed down when being tightened. Do not apply a downward force to the fuel cap when tightening.

Do not take your vehicle to your Saturn retailer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done:

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank cap. If this condition occurs on your 2004-05 model year Saturn VUE within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge .

What You Should Do:

Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a Saturn retailer. You may want to call the service department at your retailer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your retailer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Please keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement:

The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Customer requests for reimbursement are to be submitted prior to or by November 30, 2008.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your retailer or the Saturn Customer Assistance Center. The Customer Assistance Center’s hours of operation are from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, EST, Monday through Friday. They can be reached at 1-800-972-8876 (TTY 1-800-833-6000).

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for posting, but the cutoff is 120,000 MILES or 193,000 KM, not 200k miles or km... in the lower section that mentions 200k miles, it appears to be a typo. It mentions 200k miles or 193k km (120k miles).

Looks like I won't get anything back for the one I bought from a dealer for my '04, since it was way past the 120k miles mark.

Did a new cap solve the issue?

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
julieab
julieab is on a distinguished road

When people ask about the plastic vs metal flapper, is it the thing that covers the hole or the neck that the cap screws in to? I have metal covering the hole but plastic surrounding it on the neck. The replacement I bought just falls out. My original cap looks just like the black and white one below, but the place where it screws into is black plastic.

Julie
'94 SL2 "Bertha" RIP
'01 L200 "She-ra, Princess of Power" Parted ways in '04
'01 SC2 "Herb" Bad tranny, traded for '07 Hyundai "Have a family now" Entourage
'03 Saturn VUE (VTi #&$%!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to julieab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help julieab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
julieab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...71&postcount=9

plastic part number is:
if it is metal, the part number is: ACDelco GT265, GM: 10372865
plastic I believe is: ACDelco GT291, GM 15794103

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Old 02-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

And the matching Stant #s fwiw . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy View Post
if it is metal, the part number is: ACDelco GT265, GM: 10372865, Stant: 10836
plastic I believe is: ACDelco GT291, GM 15794103, Stant: 10841

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

OK - Heads Up . . .
I spent $11.39 to find out the ACDelco GT291 / GM 15794103 does NOT fit the '03 plastic door OR the '07 metal door. I think I should have looked at the RockAuto photos more closely. It looks like the ACDelco 12F58 has ears shaped like my '03 plastic door OE cap . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT291.JPG (69.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 12F58.jpg (12.4 KB, 16 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #12
julieab

This is what I have (and the new cap that falls out). stant 10841
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas caps 1.jpg (103.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg gas caps 2.jpg (173.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg gas tank.jpg (182.1 KB, 27 views)

Julie
'94 SL2 "Bertha" RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help julieab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieab View Post
This is what I have (and the new cap that falls out). stant 10841
Geezus - this is crazy! Who would believe it could be this difficult to find a replacement Gas Cap!? How many different variations did they make???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03 Gas Caps.JPG (97.6 KB, 25 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
...Who would believe it could be this difficult to find a replacement Gas Cap!?
We are going to have to start dealing with parts availability now that our Saturns either are or soon will be 10 years or more old. Last year I had a tough time finding an oil pan for my 3.5L V6 engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
julieab

Just wanted to update this thread on what happened as well:
I finally just went to the dealer. They asked me if the flapper DOOR was metal or black plastic and they didn't care about the threaded neck (my tank has a metal door, but a plastic threaded neck for the cap, see my photo above). They handed me AC Delco GT265, which looks identical to my original except it's all black. Fits perfect.

Julie
'94 SL2 "Bertha" RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!