SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
TrotFox
TrotFox is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2006 VUE 2.4L
Default JY EGR installed, verify tubes?

Hi all!

I brought home an EGR from the yard yesterday and today had the opportunity to install it. Could someone look at the photos and let me know if this is how the solenoid is supposed to hook up? Also, what used to mount there in the second photo?

THANKS!
Trot, the hopeful, fox...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0926.jpg (152.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0924.jpg (181.2 KB, 14 views)

Red 5spd Fiero Formula
Grey 5spd '06 Vue
Red '15 PriusC-4

Last edited by TrotFox; 03-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Forgot photos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TrotFox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TrotFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TrotFox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: JY EGR installed, verify tubes?

Lifting lug is what it looks like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Lifting lug is what it looks like.
Yeah.

It looks like you may have a leaking cam cover. This is a common problem (Saturn used RTV to seal the cam covers, back then, and they tend to develop leaks after a while). You can now buy a pre-formed rubber gasket to use, instead of RTV (you just need a small dab of RTV on both sides where the timing chain cover meets the head).

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
TrotFox

1992 SC
2006 VUE 2.4L

Actually, the motor is a replacement according to the po so there's no telling how that cam cover was installed. However, I do not see evidence of a leak in person so I'm just leaving it for now. No oil in the plug holes either.

It at least doesn't leak nearly as much as my Fiero so that one will get the new gaskets first.

Trot, the slippery, fox...

Red 5spd Fiero Formula
Grey 5spd '06 Vue
Red '15 PriusC-4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TrotFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The cover is leaking....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotFox View Post
I do not see evidence of a leak in person
There is a lot of oil near the EGR valve and on the top of the intake manifold. Unless someone has been really careless adding oil, there's a fairly significant leak. If it doesn't consume a lot of oil, it won't hurt anything (and may actually help prevent rust, if it's leaking onto the subframe), but it looks like it could easily account for a significant amount of oil loss between changes.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
TrotFox

1992 SC
2006 VUE 2.4L
Roll Eyes Re: JY EGR installed, verify tubes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock View Post
Unless someone has been really careless adding oil
Yeah... That would be me. The 5-quart jug plugged harder than I expected and I don't own any simple green yet.

Trot, the messy, fox...

Red 5spd Fiero Formula
Grey 5spd '06 Vue
Red '15 PriusC-4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!