SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
dcflh07
dcflh07 is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 sl ignition wiring diagram

I'm having problem with the ignition with my daughters 2001 sl. i have changed all the major parts and still no spark.parts changed so far-ignition module,both coils,plug wires,plugs,crankshaft position sensor and fuses. I'm running wires right now. side note also changed fuel filter and checked fuel pressure(86psi).Don't think its with the fuel system.One of my problem is that I have hayes manual and the wiring does not cover my year model.So i'm asking someone for the right wiring diagram so i can finish running wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcflh07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcflh07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcflh07 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 sl ignition wiring diagram

The seating of the cps is crucial; others have made the mistake of not seating it completely due to the O-ring and caused more problems. No cps output = no pcm operation to; turn on the fuel pump, ignition system for spark, and pulse the injectors.

When you replaced the spark plugs did you notice any raw fuel anywhere? Smell fuel? Injectors are fused with one 10 amp fuse.

The ignition system is fused with one 10 amp fuse.

There's also an outstanding issue with S-series cars up to and including '01's; the faulty plastic original coolant sensor that cracks and runs the engine rich and sometimes floods during starting. Replace it with a flat nosed brass one and use a new thermostat (195F). The temporary cure for flooding is to hold the throttle wide open while starting.

If no fuel is being injected then try spraying starting fluid; an engine start will confirm no injector pulses. The engine firing up, if not flooded, verifies spark and fuel.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

+1 on checking and re-checking the crank sensor and connector (as well as fuses).

Re-wiring is really extreme (and probably unnecessary) unless the harness fried/melted.

If you pull the wires off of the 4/1 coil pack and crank the engine does it arc between the terminals?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
dcflh07

thank you to fdryer and off-track.
1)the crankshafter senser is seated and I'm get the correct ohms and milli volts from it.
2)I have fuel and correct pressure to the cylinders
3)I have battery volt to the ignition module and good ground so my fuse is good, and I checked the fuses also with a meter.
4) I need a wiring diagram to finish checking wires for a 2001 dohc sl. my book only good to 95.
5)yes I have checked both coils for spark and still no spark. I have checked and cleaned both the block and the base plate for ignition module to get good ground and have a good ground.
But as i stated without a good diagram I'm chasing my tail.please read my first letter for more info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dcflh07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not sure why you aren't sparking and the wiring diagrams are more than a page. Pm me an e-mail address with basic car info and what's needed so I can follow up on sending correct info. It won't help if I don't have car info and what's needed and I send you Ferrari(?) pdf's. Like I would have them...........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
dcflh07

email the info to dcflh07@yahoo.com. 2001 saturn sl dohc vin7. yes right now I need to rule out a wiring problem. Right now I think its a broken wire at on of the connectors. the engine has been out of the car twice in the past two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcflh07 View Post
.... the engine has been out of the car twice in the past two years.
That would explain a possible wire break.................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
dcflh07

thanks fdryer
got the drawings, #6 is the one,now I can check the wires, I now see another item I did not check the knock sensor.If the wires run out good I will have to check the inputs and outputs from the pcm to each component( will have to get the valves).one other thing I'm going to do is check for error codes. thanks again this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
dcflh07

fdryer
after running all the wires for the ignition system, I found two connector's pins corroded(at the connector on the side of the for crankshaft sensor and the knock sensor) and the ground case ground for the powertrain control module.
cleaned and removed the corrosion the system works normal. thanks again for the wiring diagrams it help greatly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well done!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!