SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
ionbrock11
ionbrock11 is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission Service Interval

I have a 2005 Ion3 2.2 I believe to have the 4T45-E transmission.

Does anyone believe the manufacturer suggested service interval (50,000 miles - severe use, 100,000 otherwise) to be reliable? I know the sooner the better, but wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts on how necessary it is.

Any advice on what type of service (Flush, powerflush, simple drain and fill) to look for at a shop or dealer, or advice on doing it on your own?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ionbrock11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ionbrock11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ionbrock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
bern
bern will become famous soon enoughbern will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Transmission Service Interval

4t45 do it now. Your car is 7+ years old. At 7000 miles a year it problely is a lot of short trips on cold trans.
It needs pan drop to drain fluid and change the filer. The gasket is reuseable ( don't replace gaket with aftermarket junk) use Dex VI about 7.5 qts I think.
level plug near right side axle about 2.5" above pan, check with engine running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
ionbrock11
ionbrock11 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Bern!

That's another question: everyone says DEX VI, manual says DEX III. What's the deal?

Bought it used from original owner. Low enough miles for it's year, and I'm confident it actually has had it's fluid changed, but the service recommendation surprised me as my previous car (mazda) recommended every 30k, and with no dipstick it's a little more difficult to check the fluid's condition frequently. Either way, it'll be getting done next week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ionbrock11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ionbrock11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ionbrock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the interval is 100K miles, there is no time interval associated with transmission servicing in the manual. if you're sure it has been changed, don't worry about it until around 100K after the last time it was serviced. servicing it early is a waste of time/money, and has been proven to actually INCREASE wear.

use dex VI for that transmission.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
use dex VI for that transmission.
Dex VI... Because it replaces the "original" Dex III (licenses for Dex III expired in 2006). So go with GM's "current" requirement.

Kind of like how the 2005 probably used API SM grade motor oil... but the current standard is API SN. (The Owner's Manual probably only talks about using an oil with a "Starburst" seal and meeting any specific GM standards... it's "assuming" you are buying "current" oil and not an older standard (API SL, SJ, SH, or SG which may also have a "Starburst".). Which can still be on the shelf....

For my 2003 ION I was once looking for SM standard oil... while SL was still common/standard... found the occasional bottle of SJ mixed in.

So it's not unheard of you'll see plenty of "Dex III" on the shelves... while you'll want a Dex VI. It wouldn't hurt to read the small print on your Dex VI to confirm it isn't some "one size fits all" fluid... which you might not want.

For your Oil double check the API "Donut" to confirm SM/SN/S"X".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote