SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
wilson.kegler
wilson.kegler is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
Question Turn Signals and Hazards Quit Working

2000 SW2

Yesterday my hazards and blinkers quit working at the same time. I was on the side of the road with the hazards on when they quit. The first thing I did was check the fuse for the signals. It was blown and when I put in a spare it immediately blew as soon as the fuse touched the panel. Then I tried a 15A instead of 10 and it lasted for a couple seconds before it blew. My initial conclusion was that because of the recent snow and precipitation this week that I got some water on a wire or connector and the circuit shorted out somewhere. I checked the UHAUL trailer plug that hangs from the hitch and it had some water in it but even after cleaning it and drying it out, it still blew a fuse as soon as I put one in. If it is a short, can somebody teach me how to trace it down? Is there any other possibilities? Would a bad flasher relay cause the fuses to blow?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wilson.kegler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wilson.kegler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wilson.kegler is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Turn Signals and Hazards Quit Working

One of the marker bulbs or flasher bulbs has failed and shorted to ground. Start pulling all bulbs and looking at them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

And don't ever put in a higher capacity fuse, just to test. As you learned, it will still blow, but if it takes any time to blow, it can damage the circuit in that time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
wilson.kegler
wilson.kegler is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2

This morning I checked the signals in the front and they appeared to be fine. I attempted to check the ones in the back but I was having difficulty getting the sockets out of the housing. I also noticed that the UHAUL plug was all the way dry. So I said what the hell, I will try another fuse. It didn't blow immediately so I assumed the problem was taken care of with the UHAUL plug and I put the rear light housings back on and I taped the plug really well to keep any water out in the future. The turn signals and hazards worked fine all day today but the fuse blew just now on the way home from the store. So I guess I will look around in the rear housings again tomorrow. It's too cold outside to be hand signaling every turn! LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wilson.kegler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wilson.kegler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wilson.kegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Sounds like you have located the general location of the problem. If a bulb has a broken filament it will light sometimes and short out at others. The dual filament brake/tail light bulbs are known for this failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

If you've never had the problem before. I'd suspect something is awry with the lights on the UHAUL trailer.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote