SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Jaybrogs
Jaybrogs is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
Dizzy Mysterious Oil Leak Pinpointed to Timing Cover

Hey guys, I'm new to Saturnalia, but have owned a Saturn since I could drive. I have a 2002 SL. Anyway, after visits to the dealer and a mechanic, I think I have pinpointed my slow oil leak to the Timing Cover. How much should I expect to pay for this? I know its a little too serious of a job for my taste.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaybrogs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaybrogs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaybrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Mysterious Oil Leak Pinpointed to Timing Cover

Welcome to saturnfans

If your timing cover has not previously been removed, a leak a the cover is very highly unlikely (it would be the very first that I have read of).

Is that the diagnosis of the dealer/mechanic?

I'd wipe it clean and try to pinpoint the oil leak myself, starting at higher points on the eninge and working down. The cam (valve) cover gasket is more likely. Approximately how hgh up (or low down) can yo pinpoint the leak to?

Timing cover takes some time to remove, clean up and replace - I'd guess in the $400~$600 range. A lot of novice home mechanics have successfully removed/replaced the timing cover, though... it's really just a lot of bolts in tight, hard to reah places

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Jaybrogs

2002 SL

Thank you!

And that is the diagnosis of my mechanic. The dealer said it could be valve cover gasket, or head gasket. I was going to replace the valve cover gasket soon myself anyway, however I don't see how the leak could be coming from there. Maybe a little seepage, but nothing close to the small spot I see in the driveway every other day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jaybrogs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 205k.

1996 SL2

Clean the seam of the cam cover really well all the way around, spotless. Run the car again and go back over the area with a folded square of Toilet paper. This is the best way to pinpoint if/where you are leaking. The technique works just about everywhere.

Dont go by your mechanics gut feel if they have not put time into it. They can spend your money needlessly. It is easy enough to find out yourself, reliably.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

The cam cover (aka valve cover) is a far far more likely suspect. Check and double check that, first, before you go through the trouble or spend the money to have the timing chain cover re-sealed. It seems simple and straight-forward (and it's not too bad with a pulled engine on a stand), but because of the confined space, it's not a trivial job. The cam cover is a very common source of leaks (as opposed to the TCC, which is literally unheard of unless it has been rebuilt), and it's relatively easy to fix.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Jaybrogs

2002 SL

Yeah I think I'm just going to replace the valve cover gasket and see where I'm at from there. Its just annoying that $110 dollars later, the dealer narrows it down to three possible areas...

Thanks for the help guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

When my valve cover was leaking, I was losing probably 1/4 quart every 250 miles or so. That was a pretty big spot on the driveway

It was at the usual spot, left (driver side) rear. But the drips can travel to the front and sides of the engine which make it hard to pinpoint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 205k.

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrogs View Post
Yeah I think I'm just going to replace the valve cover gasket and see where I'm at from there. Its just annoying that $110 dollars later, the dealer narrows it down to three possible areas...

Thanks for the help guys.
Prove it is the cover first... else you are asking for potential headaches.

Too many here have been challenged in trying to get the cover to stop leaking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Carlr33
Carlr33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
Prove it is the cover first... else you are asking for potential headaches.

Too many here have been challenged in trying to get the cover to stop leaking.
I am having similar symptoms and was wondering if anyone has tried to just snug the valve cover bolts down a little before changing out the gasket/reseal?

I was wondering what your statement about challenged in trying to get the cover to stop leaking meant?

2000 SL1
206,000 MILES

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlr33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlr33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlr33 View Post
I am having similar symptoms and was wondering if anyone has tried to just snug the valve cover bolts down a little before changing out the gasket/reseal?
NO! Do not do that! The gasket is recessed in a groove and the cover already contacts the head. Tightening the bolts any further will strip the threads out of the aluminum head (making a small problem a very big one). The gasket needs to be replaced and you need to be sure not to over-tighten it upon re-torquing the cover (those bolts should not be tightened very much at all). I cannot recall the torque spec off hand; you should be sure to look it up. If you tighten it too much, you will be in for a much more significant repair.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Carlr33

Yes, but I have the SL1 and I thought it did not have a gasket after reading the cover replacment DIY? In the DIY, they say to not worry about using a torgue wrench but just snug the bolts since we are talking inch pounds?

2000 SL1
206,000 MILES

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Carlr33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Yes, but I have the SL1 and I thought it did not have a gasket after reading the cover replacment DIY? In the DIY, they say to not worry about using a torgue wrench but just snug the bolts since we are talking inch pounds?
There's still a gasket on SOHCs. Without a gasket, it would leak like crazy. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPGASKAMS_____

Some stores will try to sell you tubes of RTV to make a gasket (it's cheaper than the real pre-formed gasket). Don't do that. It will work, if done right, but if you ever need to remove the cover again (if it doesn't seal well or if future work is necessary) it will be very difficult and frustrating to clean all that RTV out of there.

You don't need to use a torque wrench, if you're careful, but it's always a good idea (especially if you don't have enough experience to know how tight something is without one). Regardless of what tool you use, you need to know the torque spec to know how tight to make it (even if you're just guessing, you can't just be random).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Carlr33

Quote:
I changed out my valve cover gasket but still have a leak somewhere around the timing chain cover area.

2000 SL1
206,000 MILES

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

It might be the head gasket,clean the area off,put some tracer dye in with the engine oil. Then drive it and recheck for leak area. Sometimes the head gaskets on 99-2002 sohc engines leak oil in that area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
alordofchaos
Master Member

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
I changed out my valve cover gasket but still have a leak somewhere around the timing chain cover area.
You want to pinpoint the leak before you start replacing stuff, otherwise it can get expensive. ehunter gave good advice here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
Clean the... really well all the way around, spotless. Run the car again and go back over the area with a folded square of Toilet paper. This is the best way to pinpoint if/where you are leaking. The technique works just about everywhere.
Could be one of the pulleys, or somewhere else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!