SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #41
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: New or Returning S-Series owners' checklist Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochiloco_sl2 View Post
I own a 2001 SL2 and i was reading through this and i have a few questions, i want to settle before i go out and replace unnecessary parts. I'm getting the service engine soon light and the codes are P0340/P0341. i'm going to replace the spark plugs and wires, if this isn't it do i also have to replace the crankshaft position sensor or do these have nothing to do with each other?

i also have the idle being funky especially when stopping at stop lights/signs, right and when i start the car the idle pegs at ~2,000 RPM Do i have to replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).?? i hope someone replies to this.
You need to post this in the tech area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #42
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
I own a 2001 SL2 and i was reading through this and i have a few questions, i want to settle before i go out and replace unnecessary parts. I'm getting the service engine soon light and the codes are P0340/P0341. i'm going to replace the spark plugs and wires, if this isn't it do i also have to replace the crankshaft position sensor or do these have nothing to do with each other?
usually you'd replace the plugs/wires, making sure #4 and #1 run parallel to one another.

next step would be to replace/inspect the coils and ignition module. check them for damage/corrosion.

Quote:
i also have the idle being funky especially when stopping at stop lights/signs, right and when i start the car the idle pegs at ~2,000 RPM Do i have to replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).?? i hope someone replies to this.
from a cold start this is normal, so long as the idle starts at 2,000 then goes to 1,200 then down to ~800-1000 when it's warm.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #43
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Winter Driving.

Since this is coming up a lot (at the time I'm writing this, we even have several threads on the first page of S-series general ALONE on this subject ), here are some general maintenance and handling tips for old man Winter. Feel free to apply this to other vehicles you drive as well, since it's not going to be much different from your S-series, to your 4x4 pickup, to a grand marquis, or a hon-duhhh...

* MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD TIRES. 2/32" of tread is the bare minimum. Anything at or lower than this or if you see wear bars, replace your tires. Ideally, you should go to the scrap yard, pick up four rims that fit your vehicle, and fit them with Blizzaks or some other decent winter tire. This way you always have a good set of winter tires. In addition, keep your tires properly inflated; stock pressures are 26 PSI in back, 30 in front, and 60 for the spare.
* If your battery is over three years old, consider taking it to your FLAPS for checking. Batteries tend to lose A LOT of cranking amps in extreme temperatures (hot or cold). In addition, you should also make sure your connections are tight and free of corrosion/dirt.
* Make sure your brakes are functional. Also be sure your brake fluid is full and clean.
* If your vehicle has 4WD of some kind (4x4, AWD, etc) keep in mind it only helps to plow through the snow AND take off from a dead stop ONLY. it doesn't automatically mean you can do the normal speed limit regardless of conditions.
* In inclement weather, slowdowns are as follows: Rain is 5-10 miles UNDER the limit, snow is HALF of the speed limit, and ice is 5-10mph MAX.
* If you feel yourself start to skid especially while braking (or otherwise can't stop), try pumping the brakes. Locking the brakes will only make things worse.
* Excessive weight, and you. This only applies if your vehicle is RWD or possibly 4WD of some kind. If you have FWD (like our S-series for example), you shouldn't need to put excessive weight down for traction, it's already done for you from the factory.
* Avoid heavy acceleration/braking when possible.
* Make sure your cooling system maintenance was done recently, this means: fresh ECTS/Connector, new-ish thermostat, and clean, fresh coolant. See the first couple posts in this sticky for more information on how to tackle these tasks.
* Above all, if you don't feel confident in going out, then don't go out. There's no sense in putting yourself and/or others in danger just for a trip. You should also check up with snow emergency levels in your jurisdiction in regards to traveling.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #44
delyce
delyce is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

Hello,

I have a 97 Saturn SL manual 4-door model. Tonight I was going thru a drivethru and I couldn't make my gears shift - seemed to just keep sliding, couldn't feel it catch anything. I just barely got it into 1st gear so I was able to coast it home. Thank God I was only a few blocks away and I live in Mnhttn. Can anyone give me ideas? I'm trying to get my mechanic but he doesn't seem to be available. Do you think it's just a lack of transmission fluid or is my clutch gone?

Help!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delyce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delyce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #45
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by delyce View Post
Hello,

I have a 97 Saturn SL manual 4-door model. Tonight I was going thru a drivethru and I couldn't make my gears shift - seemed to just keep sliding, couldn't feel it catch anything. I just barely got it into 1st gear so I was able to coast it home. Thank God I was only a few blocks away and I live in Mnhttn. Can anyone give me ideas? I'm trying to get my mechanic but he doesn't seem to be available. Do you think it's just a lack of transmission fluid or is my clutch gone?

Help!!
as said, earlier in the thread, you may want to check your shifter bushing.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #46
chanty
chanty has a spectacular aura aboutchanty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rosyjazz View Post
I am very curious about this as well, my 97 SL2 does roughly the same thing. It will go up to about 25 degree angle. However, when in major stop-n-go traffic, it will climb as high as 50. Perhaps I am just confused....
Your thermostat casing might have a crack even though your thermostat is good. That's what happened to mine, had to change the thermostat casing.

Saturn SL2 2000 owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chanty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chanty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #47
RckyMtnSL2
RckyMtnSL2 is on a distinguished road

Great write up, defiantly bookmarking this one!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RckyMtnSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RckyMtnSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RckyMtnSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #48
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

ATTENTION:

Due to U-tube not wanting to accept video URLs as http://www.youtu.be anymore, until I decide to update this (which most likely should be very soon) in the interim you can either:

1. remove the www. of the URL in your address bar then visit the video like normal (easiest)
or 2. take the stuff after the / and put it after this URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

That is all.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #49
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Courtesy of oldnuc, a list of part numbers for fixed orifice PCV valve:

AC/Delco CV4000C
FRAM FV410
BWD PCV 484
Autozone PCV1009DL
NAPA CRB 29485

These will help reduce oil consumption.

KEYWORDS: Oil burning, smoke, Saturn 1.9 DOHC SOHC SC1 SC2 SL1 SL2 SW1 SW2

96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taatman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taatman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #50
kalrith1
kalrith1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Must include the shifter bushing and cabling for manual trans. As a preventative maintenance item, the OEM bushing should, in my opinion, automatically be replaced around the 75,000 mile marker if the car has been driven extensively in a city traffic environment. There is a good source for a replacement bushing at http://www.ebay.com/sch/saturnbushin...&_trksid=p3984 and multiple postings on how to do it.
OP, can you change your checklist to recommend that this be replaced as preventative maintenance around 75k miles? Or to at least have a spare in the glove box?

I have 80k miles on my '98 SW2, and I've been going through the major things on the checklist, especially the ones that would leave me stranded. My bushing just broke (thankfully in my driveway), but I had to put the wretched Dorman bushing on there, because my wife is taking my car on a trip tomorrow. If it had been listed as preventative maintenance in the checklist, then I would've at least had the nice Delrin one in my glove box. I did order a Delrin bushin to keep in the glove box for when the Dorman bushing breaks.

I'm just thankful it happened to me in my driveway instead of my wife in the middle of no place this weekend. I could just see trying to walk her through duct-taping and zip-tying on the broken bushing over the phone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kalrith1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kalrith1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kalrith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #51
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

This has nothing to do with S-series maintenance, but as of late I've been seeing quite a few non-Saturns wanting help.

Do we support them? Yes. However it is limited since we are a Saturn board The proper place for the questions though, is right here in the other cars forum in off-topic:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Thank you!

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #52
robert98374
robert98374 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Love this article, many thanks to all the people that have contributed to it. I only have one question, anyway we could get the links to the videos updated?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert98374's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert98374 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robert98374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #53
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert98374 View Post
Love this article, many thanks to all the people that have contributed to it. I only have one question, anyway we could get the links to the videos updated?
For now you'll have to click the link to the video, then delete the www. from the URL and go.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #54
Rains
Rains is on a distinguished road

1995 SW1
1998 SC2

Fantastic thread. Thanks for all the good info here!

Wish I had found/ read this before I bought my spark plugs (Bosch Platinums), but we'll see how that goes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rains's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rains reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #55
Dave3
Dave3 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Great thread! But none of the Youtube links seem to work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dave3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dave3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #56
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3 View Post
Great thread! But none of the Youtube links seem to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
For now you'll have to click the link to the video, then delete the www. from the URL and go.
Taken from my last post, it was a few posts above yours.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #57
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Uhhhhhh... just as a heads-up, we have social medium communities:

Facebook
Google+

And if we need twitter, instagram, youtube (though I think Richpin has about 99% of the S-series stuff covered, and the rest (myself included) have the other 1%), etc communities, let me know and I'll have Charlie edit this post till I make a 4.0 of this list.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #58
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
Default Frame & Structures

This applies to Saturn's that have lived the duration of their life in Northern States. Sometimes known as "Salt Belt" states.

Saturn's carry the illusion of always being perfect because the car is primarily plastic body panels which always look beautiful. At first glance, it would be impossible to believe that the car is a rotten rust bucket.

So that brings up the point I am making here and adding this to the "Check List"

~Checking For Rot & Rust~

Generation-1 (1991 ~ 1995):

Engine Sub-Frame:
You'll want to get down and look under the car at the engine cradle or Sub-Frame as we call it. This is an area notorious for rotting out, epically on this Generation, given that the "newest" is now 19 years old.

The sub-frame typically likes to become rotten on the drives side control arm, and at the rear mount point of the frame (below the drivers feet). Surface rust here is normal and to be expected, but if it looks like there are large HOLES in the frame, or pieces of the frame are just completely gone, then I would worry about it being safe or not.

The sub-frame is not a hard item to find and not hard to replace if you are good with working on your own car.

Late 1993 to 1995 can use any Sub-Frame from any later generation all the way up to 2002. Early 1993, 1992, and 1991 have their own sub-frame which is getting hard to find. Refer to swap guides.

Body

First location on Gen-1 cars that is almost always rotten or gone, is the rear door sills. Check under both rear doors on SL and SW cars and see what is left. Don't be surprised if it's a giant hole. This was a design flaw that is well documented with these cars. Don't let it denture you from the car! These holes DO NOT EFFECT STRUCTURE AT ALL. They are just stupid holes.

Rotten rear door sills do not mean the car is a pile of junk, or that it is an unsafe car. It's just a stupid design flaw that water sits under that piece of plastic and eats at the metal anytime it even gets a LITTLE wet.

Second Location to check for rot issues on these cars is the rear floor pans. I have heard of water coming in though bad door seals and sitting in the floor pans and eating them. Just take a look under the car, and hit them with your hand, make sure these are solid. I have only seen a rotten floor pan once.

Third Location Check along the underside of the rockers. This is the area below the doors. Make sure it is solid and not open with holes. I have seen this area be completely rotten and missing. Also rare, but good to check.

Fourth Location You will want to take a moment and check the rear trailing arms. That would be the long metal bar connecting to the body, to the bottom most section behind the rear tires.

These bars them self have on occasion been known to rust and snap, so check to make sure they are solid. Also check where it is bolted to the body, that the body is not rotten around them.

~~~~

I am basing most of this on the early Saturn's, but it is always a good idea to check this stuff on any generation of these cars. I have seen it the most in the early cars. I have seen some of it on lesser occasions on the later cars.

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #59
tbecktold
tbecktold is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this, I'm new to Saturns and have learned so much already!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tbecktold's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tbecktold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tbecktold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #60
nytek
nytek is on a distinguished road

All the utube links don't work, am I doing something wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nytek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nytek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nytek is offline   Reply With Quote