SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
gua742
New Member
gua742 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Dizzy 2001 SC2 transmission fluid question...

So today a buddy and I did a drain and refill of my 2001 Saturn SC2, it has a manual transmission and the book calls for Dexron III ATF but instead I used Dexron VI ATF, it said on the bottle that you can use Dexron VI in place of Dexron III, but I am just wondering what y'all thinK?

Should I use something else? Will I be ok with Dexron VI?

Thanks in advance, George!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gua742's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gua742 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gua742 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 2,058
 

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 2001 SC2 transmission fluid question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gua742 View Post
So today a buddy and I did a drain and refill of my 2001 Saturn SC2, it has a manual transmission and the book calls for Dexron III ATF but instead I used Dexron VI ATF, it said on the bottle that you can use Dexron VI in place of Dexron III, but I am just wondering what y'all thinK?

Should I use something else? Will I be ok with Dexron VI?

Thanks in advance, George!
USE SOMETHING ELSE!!!

Dexron VI can't be used in the manual transmission. Drain and replace with Dexron III immediately.

...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
gua742
New Member
gua742 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default Re: 2001 SC2 transmission fluid question...

What else would I use? It says in the book that the manual transmission used Dexron III and on the bottle it said that Dexron VI was ok to use with other products that call for Dexron III, what should I use?

Thanks! -George

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gua742's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gua742 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gua742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
gua742
New Member
gua742 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default Re: 2001 SC2 transmission fluid question... EXACT PRODUCT I USED...

I used this to fill my manual transmission of my 2001 Saturn SC2 today:

Castrol/1 qt. DEXRON VI premium synthetic blend automatic it called for 2.5 liters.

Premium synthetic blend formula exceeds Dexron-III h requirements. Outstanding sludge resistance provides superior transmission life. Enhanced friction durability improves shifting performance.
Compatible Vehicles/Specifications: General Motors cars and trucks that require Dexron VI. Also satisfies Dexron, Dexron-III H, III, IIE, and II.



So my question is that it exceeds Dexron III specs and it says on the bottle that it can be used in place of Dexron III, so I am just VERY confused. I need some guidance because I REALLY DON'T WANT TO MESS up my girls car. So all your help is greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gua742's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gua742 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gua742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
OldNuc
Super Member
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far Southwestern Iowa
Posts: 51,027
 

1998 SC2
Default Re: 2001 SC2 transmission fluid question...

Just go drain the transmission and go buy a name brand Universal ATF marked on the bottle Dexron/Mercon compatible this is the replacement for the old now nonexistent Dexron-3. Do not use Dexron - 6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 2,058
 

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 2001 SC2 transmission fluid question... EXACT PRODUCT I USED...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gua742 View Post
I used this to fill my manual transmission of my 2001 Saturn SC2 today:

Castrol/1 qt. DEXRON VI premium synthetic blend automatic it called for 2.5 liters.

Premium synthetic blend formula exceeds Dexron-III h requirements. Outstanding sludge resistance provides superior transmission life. Enhanced friction durability improves shifting performance.
Compatible Vehicles/Specifications: General Motors cars and trucks that require Dexron VI. Also satisfies Dexron, Dexron-III H, III, IIE, and II.



So my question is that it exceeds Dexron III specs and it says on the bottle that it can be used in place of Dexron III, so I am just VERY confused. I need some guidance because I REALLY DON'T WANT TO MESS up my girls car. So all your help is greatly appreciated!
Read this TSB straight from GM.

Manual Trans Fluid Usage TSB #PIP3836B.pdf

...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
gua742
New Member
gua742 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Happy Re: 2001 SC2 transmission fluid question...

You all rock for answering my questions!

Today I drained and refilled the manual transmission with Dexron III per your comments. I put about 15 miles on the car with the Dexron VI in the manual transmission BEFORE I switched over back over to new Dexron III so I hope I did not screw anything up, could I have?

I am pissed now! I would have NEVER put the Dexron VI in unless it said on the bottle (and it did) that it could take the place of Dexron III, I am going to back to autozone and try to return it!

Thanks for all your help, you all saved my transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gua742's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gua742 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gua742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
jsnead
Member
jsnead is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 184

2002 SL1
Default Re: 2001 SC2 transmission fluid question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gua742 View Post
You all rock for answering my questions!

Today I drained and refilled the manual transmission with Dexron III per your comments. I put about 15 miles on the car with the Dexron VI in the manual transmission BEFORE I switched over back over to new Dexron III so I hope I did not screw anything up, could I have?

I am pissed now! I would have NEVER put the Dexron VI in unless it said on the bottle (and it did) that it could take the place of Dexron III, I am going to back to autozone and try to return it!

Thanks for all your help, you all saved my transmission.
Everything should be ok. That was GMs fault for ever telling anyone that Dexron anything goes back in time. They wrote the TSB a couple of posts above after damage was being done. Another GM fault.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsnead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsnead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsnead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
OldNuc
Super Member
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far Southwestern Iowa
Posts: 51,027
 

1998 SC2
Default Re: 2001 SC2 transmission fluid question...

GM = Government Motors, what do you expect?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 LW200 manual transmission fluid change? dbswayne L-Series Tech 15 02-12-2012 05:35 PM
Transmission Fluid Question?? Nick96'SL2 S-Series Tech 12 02-12-2011 08:55 AM
Manual Transmission Fluid On 2001 SL1 motoboymatt S-Series Tech 5 03-16-2010 12:41 PM
Transmission Fluid - 2001 Sc2 01SIlverSc2 S-Series Tech 12 05-03-2007 12:50 PM
Transmission fluid question Sectorshaft S-Series General 26 03-03-2006 05:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.