SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
FLAastraXR
FLAastraXR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default GMPP Extended Warranty, or no?

Just picked up a sweet 2008 Astra XR 3 door with only 17K miles. After browsing the forums I'm considering the extended warranty, but I'm torn on spending the money. Looks like I can get 24 months/50K miles of coverage in the $1200.- range. Any relevant input?? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FLAastraXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FLAastraXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FLAastraXR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: GMPP Extended Warranty, or no?

gmpp is a great warranty. nothing else id buy. do you drive 25k miles a year? custom fit to what you drive....3/60....3/75k etc. about 650 dollard from cost to retail so can get discount.ive had them on almost every car ive owned. most will go 200 over cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
blackastra
blackastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 AURA XR

Its very much worth the cost

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

How many repairs can you do for $1200? Most engine and transmission replacements can be had for under that much if you have a good mechanic that can source used parts.

If you really want the protection, take the money and put it in a bank account. Use that money to pay for repairs, if needed. Chances are your going to end up ahead that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Werks11
Werks11 is on a distinguished road

2008 GM cars have 100,000 five year powertrain warranty.

You can buy 84,000 7 year bumper to bumper GM warranty. I have it on all my cars. How long will you keep the car, how many miles will you put on the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Werks11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Werks11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Werks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
everyshadeofblu
everyshadeofblu is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

How does one figure out the actual cost so we can ask for $200 over cost with some assurance that we know what the actual cost is?

Mine is up in a few months... despite the powertrain warranty, I have a feeling I wouldn't regret the purchase after my last experience with a rebadged Opel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAastraXR View Post
Just picked up a sweet 2008 Astra XR 3 door with only 17K miles. After browsing the forums I'm considering the extended warranty, but I'm torn on spending the money. Looks like I can get 24 months/50K miles of coverage in the $1200.- range. Any relevant input?? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to everyshadeofblu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help everyshadeofblu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
everyshadeofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

ESB, what did you own prior to your Astra?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i used to be able to tell you the cost but i retired last year. i guess id phone shop a couple places and offer a few hundred less and see what happens. some dont mind selling cheap and some do. i used to sell for 100 over to people on saturnfans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Werks11
Werks11 is on a distinguished road

Tell them you want 84 month 84,000 miles 0 deductible and
offer $900 less and see what ya get. Offer $200 less and you'll not get much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Werks11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Werks11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Werks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i think you can find gmpp retail prices online. just know about 650 to 750 mark up. 200 over would be a good price so should get about 400 to 500 off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!