SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
Diago
Diago is on a distinguished road

Default Shim Kit

What is this shim kit that I keep hearing about. I have a 2001 LW200 with 52,000 miles and I am ready for my fourth set of tires. So far Saturn has replaced the tires for free but this is the last time they will do it. They have never said anything to me about the suspension being the problem. They always do an allignment when the tires are changed. It is the rears that seem to go first. I don't rotate them as often as I should but they should still last more than 15,000 miles. I know it isn't the way I drive since with my other car (SW2) I can get about 70,000 out of a set. If I cannot fix this problem I may just have to become a Honda fan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diago's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diago reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

I haven't had the shims installed. However, the Crapfinities that they place on aren't the best of tires.

The most you could ever get out of those things is MAYBE 20K. so the 15K you are getting out of them isn't bad. Once they replace them again, I highly suggest getting some good tires and that will prevent a lot of the tread wear.

I was lucky that the Rack problem didn't mess up my tires. SO far I've driven my current tires about 24K miles and they are still going strong. Have about 3/4 tred left. And I even got some cheap Big-O-Tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xanatos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xanatos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
socketz
socketz is on a distinguished road

I have 10k on my Affinity HPs and they only look about 1/6 worn ?

I do the rotation every other ol change. They are a bit noisy, but they seem to wear well. Actually, they seem hard as a rock, which is what probably makes them so noisy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to socketz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help socketz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
cary
cary is on a distinguished road

The shim kit was installed on both of our L300/01s.

It has improved handling and greatly reduced road noise. The tires appeared “cupped” before they were replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cary's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cary reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2003, 07:18 AM   #5
Diago

Is the ship kit something that stiffens the suspension? If so, would it be better to just replace the rear shocks with something better?

As you can see, I don't know what the shim kit is or what it does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Diago reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
s3nfo
s3nfo is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Camber bolts

The "shim kit" is a set of bolts with an off center cam on the sholder of the bolt which allows the camber of the rear wheels to be adjusted more than the stock adjustments. I've had the bolts put in my LW300 when I replaced the Affinities (at 35K). Bolt kit is less than $20 and if you get it done with the alignment the labor is usually free as part of the alignment so total cost is less than $20.
Made no difference in the ride or noise level of the car but does allow the rears to be adjusted so the alignment is "right", so if your getting noise or bad handling from the rears cause they're grossly out of alignment, the bolts could conceivably fix the problem.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2003, 08:55 AM   #7
Diago

Thanks. Now it makes sence.

I have noticed that one rear tire wears a lot faster than the other on my LW200. Quite possibly this could fix that problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2003, 11:49 AM   #8
somedude
somedude is on a distinguished road

Xanatos,

What is the Rack problem that you mention?

1993 SL1, used, 293,000 Km
2001 SC1, new, 17,000 Km (RIP)
2000 LS1, used, 140,000 Km and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to somedude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help somedude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2003, 11:00 PM   #9
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I had a shim kit installed on my 2000 LS. Handling is much improved, and affinity HPs have gone 24k miles with normal(low) wear.

Prior to that, ate thorough a set of tires in 18k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread