SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Dev_56
Dev_56 is on a distinguished road

Attention Service Traction/Service ESC warnings

Hello, I purchased my used 2008 Saturn Aura XE back in July and i've been loving every minute driving it. I have now 52000 miles and I keep getting two notifications that pop up and then disappear. One is the Service Traction warning and the other is the Service ESC warning. I don't know why this is popping up. I am a DIYer and I was wondering if there is a way in which I can fix it myself or is it something that I have to take to the GM dealer? thank you in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dev_56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dev_56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dev_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Service Traction/Service ESC warnings

Many problems can cause that & it may have nothing to do with your brake system.

First thing to do is have all the modules scanned for codes. A basic code reader cannot do this. Most mechanics have the proper scan tool. For a couple hundred you can get scan tool software for a laptop & then you can do it yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_56 View Post
Hello, I purchased my used 2008 Saturn Aura XE back in July and i've been loving every minute driving it. I have now 52000 miles and I keep getting two notifications that pop up and then disappear. One is the Service Traction warning and the other is the Service ESC warning. I don't know why this is popping up. I am a DIYer and I was wondering if there is a way in which I can fix it myself or is it something that I have to take to the GM dealer? thank you in advance.
I'd have it brought in to have the codes pulled.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Dev_56

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
I'd have it brought in to have the codes pulled.
Just got back from the auto parts store. Got it scanned and it turned out to be the intake air temperature sensor. Where is this located in my Aura? I was told the connection may be bad or shorted. Also, how do you take of the plastic cover off to get to the engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dev_56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Did you get the actual code number? I'm more comfortable giving advice with the actual code & not some autozone clerk's interpretation of the code.

If it is an IAT sensor code, that sensor is integrated with the MAF sensor & not available separately. IIRC, they are about 150 bucks for that part. It could also be a wiring harness issue as opposed to the sensor itself. Very simple to replace if it requires replacing.

Just pull the engine cover directly up after disconnecting the egr hose & intake bellows.

Last edited by greenman; 02-21-2012 at 01:25 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Dev_56

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Did you get the actual code number? I'm more comfortable giving advice with the actual code & not some autozone clerk's interpretation of the code.

If it is an IAT sensor code, that sensor is integrated with the MAF sensor & not available separately. IIRC, they are about 150 bucks for that part. It could also be a wiring harness issue as opposed to the sensor itself. Very simple to replace if it requires replacing.

Just pull the engine cover directly up after disconnecting the egr hose & intake bellows.
The code is P0113. I can pull the engine cover partially off because the cap to the oil resevoir is blocking it. Do I even need to take this off for the IAT? I found some stuff online, let me know if I am on the right track.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_56 View Post
The code is P0113. I can pull the engine cover partially off because the cap to the oil resevoir is blocking it. Do I even need to take this off for the IAT? I found some stuff online, let me know if I am on the right track.
That is an IAT sensor code. But that code can be set by a wiring harness issue as well as a bad IAT sensor. Impossible to know which without testing with the proper tools. If you just throw a new sensor at it you might get lucky.

You must remove the oil fill cap to pull the engine cover. Not really necessary for the IAT/MAF combo sensor but its always nice to get it out of the way.

Last edited by greenman; 02-22-2012 at 02:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!